Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Plugged Ear, Muffled Sounds

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
My ear has been plugged for about a week. My hearing is okay if I'm in a big room, but if I'm in a car my ear seems to be really sensitive to the radio, or people talking. I'm not sure if I should make an appointment with an ENT doctor or go to my regular doctor. I think that I've got water in my ear, but I don't hear the swooshing sound that I normally hear when there's water in there. I've tried a capful of peroxide in my ear but don't want to do anything drastic until I can see a doctor. It hasn't got any worse, but definitely not any better either. It feels like it needs to be unplugged from the inside out, if that makes any sense. There isn't any pain but I'm miserable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Tonya Scott
NorthernConstruction07@hotmail.com
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 23rd, 2007
Experienced User
im sorry but why would you put peroxide in your ear Question wouldnt that burn your ear drum? im sorry but there would be no way i would do that!!
|

replied April 23rd, 2007
Plugged Ear
I heard about this a long time ago and to my surprise, a
lot of people say it actually works. I'm not doing it again
though and it didn't help anyways. It's all just so frustrat-
ing. Thanks for your concern, I really appreciate it.
|

replied July 27th, 2009
You may have an ear infection - they don't always cause pain. If you do have impacted earwax, peroxide may help loosen it. It does NOT burn your eardrum. I've been using it for years. My ENT has told me to do this when the wax is harder to get out. If you hear a lot of bubbling and popping when you put the peroxide in, then you probably have at least some wax.

You probably need to see either your primary care dr. or an ear, nose, and throat doc.
|
Quick Reply