Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Stress fractures in the left pubis ramus and right foot (4th

Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
User Profile
They've sent me home for 30 days, I'm now 2 weeks into my convalescent leave from Camp Lejeune. I was in the Medical rehab platoon for 3 weeks prior to coming home. I've gained 15 pounds from lack of Physical training. I've done research on the Internet and haven't found much. For the next 2 weeks I want to swim to get some sort of exercise. I NEED to lose some weight. I want to go back to training ASAP. Will ice and a jacuzzi help my stress fractures? I'm drinking SOY milk...do I need to drink normal milk for calcium? I'm also taking calcium supplements with Vitamin D in them. The next portion of my training includes 3 hikes over 3 weeks with moderately heavy packs. We also do our physical training in boots. If someone could PLEASE give me some sort of advice on what I can do for exercise. ALSO, I read that when women don't get their period the estrogen goes down in their bodies and causes the bones to be weaker. I haven't gotten my period since 12/2006..when I went to bootcamp

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 3rd, 2007
Orthopedics: Hip, Knee, & Shoulder Injuries Answer A2669
There is no medication, food or physical activity that will make the fracture heal any faster. Proper bone repositioning and immobilization are most important factors that will facilitate fracture healing. During stress fractures, contact between the bone fragments is ok and there is no need of immobilization tools but resting is essential for proper healing. You can follow your orthopedist’s and physiotherapist’s instructions. A new X-ray image will confirm if the fractures are healed, or not.

If you haven’t got your period since December 2006 you should perform a pregnancy test to exclude/confirm pregnancy. No matter the result you should visit a gynecologist. It is true that lack of estrogen makes the bones weaker (osteoporosis) but that happens during the menopause and you are too young for that.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.