Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Knee Walking Baby! (Page 1)

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
Hey guys!

My baby girl is almost 19 months and she still doesn't walk. She is quite active and goes up and down the stairs on her own, and when she's around the house she walks on her knees and is reluctant to walk. There's a time when she seemed to have developed an interest and she would stand on her own for a while but that was it she's now quite comfortable on her knees. When we go out shopping she can hold on to my finger and is very happy to walk as long as she's holding on to someone.
She was a late crawler, she didn't crawl until she was about 12 months and then she crawled for quite a long time and she was fast and had mastered all the techniques, it's only about a month she has developed this habit on knee walking.
Is this normal or there could be something wrong here. She looks quite normal and is ever so active, singing, dancing etc, but the problem is the walking.

Worried Dad!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper BestDad
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Knee Walking Baby!
BestDad wrote:
Hey guys!

My baby girl is almost 19 months and she still doesn't walk. She is quite active and goes up and down the stairs on her own, and when she's around the house she walks on her knees and is reluctant to walk. There's a time when she seemed to have developed an interest and she would stand on her own for a while but that was it she's now quite comfortable on her knees. When we go out shopping she can hold on to my finger and is very happy to walk as long as she's holding on to someone.
She was a late crawler, she didn't crawl until she was about 12 months and then she crawled for quite a long time and she was fast and had mastered all the techniques, it's only about a month she has developed this habit on knee walking.
Is this normal or there could be something wrong here. She looks quite normal and is ever so active, singing, dancing etc, but the problem is the walking.

Worried Dad!

have you discussed this with the doctor? here in the states we have something called "early intervention", where they will do some tests on the baby to check for developmental issues. i dont know, my son has been walking since 9 months, but i dont really know what the "norm" is in terms of when they *should* be walking. i would talk to the pediatrician.
|

replied February 21st, 2009
hello worried dad, no worries =)
my baby girl is 14 1/2 months... smart, clever, early and normal developements have been mastered from day one! she is the happiest baby i have ever known =) and very HAPPY walking on her knees, too... she began at 11 1/2 months and now we are 3 months into this new adventure of knee walking, still holding and walking while holding onto someone and she leads the way... but very reluctant to let go and take off by herself on her two feet. she has taken 3 steps on a few occassions, but prefers her mastered skill of walking on her knees. our doctor told us this was perfectly normal since we are encouraging her to walk, she feels most confident this way, she will when she is ready and be ready because she will take off running!!!!
|

replied June 4th, 2009
Hi - can you please tell me if your baby is now walking?? My daughter is 15 months and has been knee walking for 3 months. She has no desire to walk on her feet. She also a happy and energetic child. She will also walk holding my hand but has no desire to do it on her own. This is the only questionable thing she does. Please let me know what happened as I am worried.

Thanks so much!
|

replied September 28th, 2011
KNEE walking
Granddaughter is almost 18 months and still doing this. Her twin (not identical) started doing the same thing at first but now walks. Not sure what to think of this, but I think she is going to get either occupational or physical therapy soon, she still needs to be evaluated. I think she is just very scared and cautious.
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Worried parents --

Toddlers who walk on their knees just need more encouragement. Obviously from these replies, and other ones that I have heard, all babies develop at different rates.

The important thing about your story is that she CAN walk on her feet. It isn't that she doesn't know how or she can't. There are some things that some kids like more than others, and you can use little motivators to get her walking.

Take her to a park with children playing, and long as it isn't too crowded. Not only will she see other little ones like herself running around, but the surface is not fun for bare knees. You can take her down the slide, and if she likes it a lot to do it again, you can encourage her to walk around the other side for another go. Go to the other side and have her walk to you.

You can also take her shopping and let her/him pick out some shoes that are the favorite as an additional incentive. Just be patient and keep at it: they will all learn to give up the knees sometime because it's just not fast enough!
|

replied September 30th, 2009
walking on knees
Hi,
This is a good discussion and I found precisely, what I was looking for... my baby girl is 13 months old and she too likes to walk on her knees.She's been doing this for the past 2/3 months and when we try to make her walk, she makes few steps (holding the hand or toys) but then again starts walking with he knees and as it was mentioned in previous posts, I think she is likes to walk on her knes.We are trying to make her practice (to walk on her legs) and I think every kid have their own likes/dis-likes and takes their own sweet time for every mile-stones.The jey here is patience and even I was worried initially by seeing her walk on her knees, but now understood the fact.

-Kumar.
|

replied October 13th, 2009
Knee walking at 17 months
Wow! I'm not alone here! My daughter is 17 months old almost 18 on the 3rd. She was born 8lbs 8oz and a very healthy girl. She is tall and thick lol. She rolled over, crawled, stood up and cruised late. She too walks on her knees. I do have her with an early intervention teacher but she doesn't seem to be helping much. She said she thinks my dghtr is just cautious and will do it when she is ready. I'm getting frustrated bc she CAN walk just won't do it. She also can climb stairs. I know I have to be patient but not ONE person I know with kids had thiS issue! Not to mention her knees are getting rough and dark and her clothes are getting ruined. Her Dr. wants me to get her evaluated if she isnt walking by 18 months... Any advice?
|

replied March 31st, 2012
Knee walking at 18 months (has been for past 5-6 months)
HI There,

We are in the same place. my daughter will be 18 months next week. VERY thick - 29.5 lbs and been knee walking for about 6 months now. Would love to know when your daughter actually started to walk. She sounds very similar to your daughter (ie: going up stairs fine, and she too was late with sitting up, rolling over, cruising, etc.) Please let me know!!! Thanks !! Holly
|

replied March 31st, 2012
Knee walking at 18 months (has been for past 5-6 months)
HI There,

We are in the same place. my daughter will be 18 months next week. VERY thick - 29.5 lbs and been knee walking for about 6 months now. Would love to know when your daughter actually started to walk. She sounds very similar to your daughter (ie: going up stairs fine, and she too was late with sitting up, rolling over, cruising, etc.) Please let me know!!! Thanks !!
|

User Profile
replied October 13th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I think if she CAN walk, that is she has proved that she CAN, then she doesn't need an evaluation. Don't worry about her knees getting rough or her clothes. You could take her to a park where there are other children playing where it is impossible to keep walking on her knees in the gravel and she will see the other children and want to keep up with them.
|

replied November 10th, 2009
Hello, My daughter is 16 months and has recently started to walk on her knees. Although saying this she can walk independently on her own, she is at the wobbily stage and only walks the length of the living room before falling over. SHe will walk if we stand her up and she can even leave the sofa on her own now (if that makes sense) Because she cant stand herself up to walk on her own she will walk on her knees to the sofa pull herself up and then either walk or crawl. Its very odd how babies find their own unique way around but as long as they r moving there is absolutly nothing at all to worry about!! x
|

replied November 10th, 2009
My Daughter is 11 months and started walking on knees from last 15 days...I was really worried but now i feel that it is common..but can anyone share their experience of how long it took to change the habbit from knee walking to normal walking??
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2010
Baby Knees- Did you know babies are born without kneecaps?
Did you know that babies are not born with kneecaps, in their delicate knees?
As such, if you xray a babies' knees they do not show up the same as a big kid or adult; due to the fact that at birth, a baby's kneecaps are still just cartillage. The cartillage eventually develops into kneecaps as we know and love them. However, your baby and toddler will have to take a few spills while learning to crawl and walk in the growth phase. From the time your baby is somewhere between 3 to 5 years old, your baby will grow kneecaps as big kids and adults.
Through the crawling stage your baby actually falls on cartillage that acts like a "sponge- compressor" to protect the developing kneecap. Most babies will find crawling fun and easy, but will often have red, sore, and bruised knees due to the floor surfaces and pulling up and falling down of the learning to crawl stages. Having the benefit of kneepad protection allows your baby to crawl in comfort and learn to walk or pull up and push a toddling trike in safety and comfort. This developmental stage also has immeasurable benefits for co-ordination and right and left brain functions for use later in life. Helping your child to play and explore in comfort is a fun time for both child and parent.
To sift through the available choices of baby crawling kneepads on the market, always look for kneepads that are:
Easy to attachand remove over bare legs and clothing
Machine washable and dryable
One size fits all
Non slip on all surfaces
Once your baby begins to push up while on their bellies, they will soon be ready for crawling. This is the time to begin attaching the kneepads so baby gets used to feeling them on the knees. Soon they will be up and all around the home, exploring their environment and the most important time for a parent to have a completely "Baby proofed" home. Happy crawling!
|

replied August 26th, 2010
Do babies have kneecaps?
Although it doesn't show up on X-rays, your baby does in fact have kneecaps. They're just not bony kneecaps. At birth, these kneecaps are still cartilage, and remain so for a few years. So all those spills and falls your toddler is taking aren't going to be knee-breakers, just sponge-compressors. By the time your child is anywhere from 3 to 5 years old, those cartilage plates will have fully ossified into big-kid kneecaps, made of real bone. And every year after that, as that bone loses its bounce, those thrills and spills will get progressively less fun until those grown-up babies are creaking and groaning with the rest of us.
|

replied September 26th, 2010
Knee walking daughter
When my always cheerful daughter knee-walked from 13-18 months, we thought it was funny. Like the other descriptions, she could walk a few steps holding my hand, but didn't seem to like it. I did notice that occasionally, but not often, she would wince a little when walking. I finally took her for an examination and we learned that the bones in one ankle weren't developing properly and it hurt her to put weight on it. I felt so bad! She has had a couple of operations and is now walking and doing fine.
|

replied September 27th, 2010
Knee walker
I know this is a very old post but so glad I found it. Like most posts, my dauhgter is 15 months and has been walking on her knees for about 3 months! She walks on her feet holding onto furniture and also whilst pushing her little dolly pusher around and with assitance form myself or my husband. I was almost at the point of taking her to the drs but once I read this I realise it is very common in girls. Do I feel more relaxed now.
|

replied October 4th, 2010
hello,
it would be great to see some follow-ups on this topic. My 20 month old is still knee walking although fully capable of walking on her own. When did your child start walking properly and what did it? I've been taking my daughter to parks and play areas but she still isn't motivated to walk.
|

replied November 19th, 2010
all girl examples?
I find it odd that all of the examples have been bbay girls! I jsut found this thread by googling "baby walking on knees" because my almost 16 month old daughter has been doing this for a month. She has shown she can walk while holding a our hands, but she doesn't prefer it. I think that she THINKS she is walking because she's upright (if a little short).

Glad to hear it's normal, and odd about the seeming girl connection...
|

replied December 14th, 2010
Knee walking
My grand daughter is a 13 month old knee walker. Glad to have found this site and discover that she has peers. She is very good at knee walking, can almost run, and dances, but what is really funny to watch is when she gets excited she starts hopping. We are encouraging her to walk but I think that her knees offer her a larger platform that she is more comfortable with.
|

replied January 9th, 2011
KNEES WALKER
wow! wow! wow! i am having the same problem with my 13 months old. he is being doing that for about 2 months & 1/2. he got so confortable on his knees now he could run, dance & dance in circle on his knees. i have never experinece that & i grew up around lots of babies. his brother walks at 11 months old. i don't know what to do. he would stand on the couch and walk, even talking a title and almost patty train. but, he can walk realy fast on his knees around the house. please help me........
|

replied January 30th, 2011
I have a boy who is a knee walker! He is 20 months. We recently saw an occupational therapist who believes it is all due to upper body strength - or lack of. She suggests lots of crawling over obstacles, reading or drawing while lying on his tummy and ensuring he can sit up from lying on his back without rolling over first - ie. strong stomach muscles. Can anyone elses babies stand alone without support? I feel once he has mastered this he will be walking. Also she said to ensure that when he crawls up the stairs that he steps up with alternate feet, not always step with one, kneel with the other. We're now buying the 'walking wings' harness and crossing fingers for a walker by his 2nd b'day!
|

replied April 27th, 2011
Knee Walking
I don't believe knee walking is due to a lack of upper body or core (stomach muscle) strength.

DD (now 14 months) was surprising her doctor by how strong she was in the upper body about 9 months ago, crawls over obstacles (mainly her parents), stands on her own but will "walk" on her knees.

I have watched when she is standing (very happy to do this and does so quite easily) but she gets upset when taking a few steps then falls over so I believe it is a confidence thing.

She will happy walk (on 2 feet) while pushing her little train, the high chair, the laundry basket or anything else that will give her something stable and moveable to hold on to while walking around the house.

Babies all develop at their own speed so if I'm not too worried but will probably mention it at her 18 month immunisation and development check.
|
12 >>