Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Seroquel - Doing Things In Your Sleep?

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
I recently had Seroquel added to my mix for bipolar.

I also wear a mask for a CPAP machine to treat sleep apnea.

Almost every night since I have been on Seroquel, I have taken the mask off in the night. The machine sets off an alarm if it does not sense breathing in the mask. I have not only been taking off the mask, but I have been shutting the machine off. No alarm goes off. The mask also requires that it be unhitched at one of two points at the bottom to come off smoothly, so I am making a very deliberate effort to remove it.

The machine is by no means a serious problem... the apnea just keeps me from getting restful sleep... it does not threaten my health if I take it off.

Last night, I vaguely remember doing it, I think... or I woke up as I was doing it. I recall being a bit puzzled and then replacing the mask. My wife said that I took it off, looked at her, and then put it back on.

Very weird.

Anyone else do things like this?

-t
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 24th, 2007
I have really bad night visions, or like I am hallucinating when I take what the doc wants me to of my seroquel. Don't know about others, but your note made me feel a little better that I'm not the only one with strange sleeping happenings!
|

replied April 27th, 2007
I stopped taking seroquel a few years back because I would sleep walk and wake up in strange parts of our home. I would have super vivid dreams that would cause me to wake up confused and tired.
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2007
hawkeye69 wrote:
I have really bad night visions, or like I am hallucinating when I take what the doc wants me to of my seroquel. Don't know about others, but your note made me feel a little better that I'm not the only one with strange sleeping happenings!

Hawkeye, could you give us more details about the visions... what is the usual contens of these hallucinations?
|

replied April 30th, 2007
I would have random visions. Usually I would see one of my daughters walking in my room(but they were really in bed) My last one was I saw a little girl in my bedroom waving and smiling at me. Boy, that one really freaked me out. I'm awake when I see these things too!
|

replied April 30th, 2007
I only took seroquel for maybe 2 weeks...because i'd either have horrific nightmares of being attacked by demons or dying then my soul being lost in my sleep, or having really x-rated dreams causing me to literaly masturbate while asleep (very embarassing when other people live in the house and the door is open LOL).
|

replied September 26th, 2011
seroquel and sleep
I have yall all beat. Im scared that Im going to serously hurt myself or someone. I woke the other morning and thought someone had been in my house. There were couch pillows all over the floor. a spataula in the floor. i started looking around and one of my pictures was gone from the wall, found it on my night stand. one of my kitchen table chairs was gone. found it outside.my dish drainer was on the stove and my tea pot in the bathroom, and to top it off my gun was in my bed loaded with the safety off. this is the worst its been. but it happens often. have even be watched by others at night and been confirmed. but it happens when i take ambieum also.dont kmow what to do. dont take meds get sick again or take and hurt myself
|

replied March 9th, 2012
I woke up this morning with the bedroom door shut. i never shut it so my dog can wander around when he wants at night. i thought it was odd and went to open it. It was locked! and no key. after much panic and trying to break the lock, i found the key on the floor. what worries me most is that i had lost that key many months ago. i take seroquel too but have been for years and never had a problem. lately i've been taking Bupropion. it's the first time and anti depressant has actually worked nicely so i'm hoping it has nothing to do with all this. The worst is that my dog is now scared of me it seems. it seems like he's upset with me. and he won't come on the couch like he usually does when i watch tv.
|

replied April 27th, 2012
i too have been sleep walking.. i seem to get up, walk around, make food, eat, go to the bathroom, pull stuff out of my closet.. and when i wake up i remember nothing.. sometimes im told that ive woken people/friends up in the middle of the night and carried on a 20-30 minute full conversation that apparently made sense most of the time.. however on a side note i DO NOT take any meds. if you are on any meds for anti depressants or psychotropic medications i STRONGLY urge you to talk to your doctor and demand that he/she helps you to slowly get off them. i have done extensive research about such medications and have even done 3 or 4 reports for college. they are extremely dangerous. psychotropic medications kill more people compared to cancer. this is no joke. if you dont believe me do some research. (est. 753,000 deaths as of 2010 compared to 586,000 from cancer) also look into the side effects of the medications you are taking, many times the side effects are worse then the problem in which you are taking the meds for. also many of these prescription medications were originally manufactured by governments in attempts to create truth serums for interrogations back in the 80's and 90's. thats where Prozac came from.

with that said i am NOT against drugs that are prescribed by doctors. i am just cautious.

okay now that my rant is over i have a question that has been pondering me for some time now.. i know that i sleep walk, and can perform motory actions in my sleep that require quite a bit of thinking and rationalization. so my question is this. can i teach myself to perform certain tasks in my sleep? i have read of an artist who draws and paints beautiful artwork all while he is asleep.. i too am an artist and i think that i could create some very cool abstract drawings if i was drawing in my sleep. i would almost be in a different world so thus i would have a different perspective on my artwork when drawing it.. if anyone has ANY info or links to sites that may explain how to train yourself to perform tasks in you sleep please comment with the links Smile THANKS Smile
|