Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

17 Year Old Daughter Has Bipolar (and I Think Possibly Odd)

Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
My daughter (I'll call her CL) was diagnosed in 12/05 with bipolar and depression. Been lots go on since then - in and out of behavioral mgmt facilities, etc. One ignorant psychiatrist actually took her OFF all of her meds!! Finally, got her back on Trileptal, and she is just getting back on Abilify today. I'm hoping this combo helps. Last weekend, she had a back manic episode where she kicked a full length mirror, broke it in half and had glass strewn everywhere, and also knocked down a shelf above the mirror. It was a rough night. She spent the night at her grandparents' house that night. Sad

She dropped out of high school last September, but did get her GED in February 2007, and is going to register for some college courses next week. Still working on getting her a job. She has a good lead at a restaurant, so she'll go there tomorrow (Friday).

I guess I'm just looking for encouragement that she'll grow up and out of some of these behaviors. She's also dating a 21 year old "boy" who doesn't work, smokes dope (although they both say they have stopped smoking dope - especially CL because she's trying to get a job and everywhere she goes they drug test!).

I just get so tired of feeling like I'm always walking on egg shells around her - never knowing when I might say or do something that sets her off. I love CL with all of my heart and soul - she's my only child. I just want her to get an education and a career and to be happy.

Any suggestions?
Rolling Eyes
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 27th, 2007
Your daughter will be fine, I'm also 17 and a female, I'm going through the exact same thing. I was diagnosed when I was 10 years old and it's been very rough. My parents refused to put me on medication though, because it can do more damage than it can do good. The best thing you can do for your daughter right now is just hold her when she feels bad and tell her everythings going to be fine. I had dropped out of school last year too, and now I'm back in this year. Just keep encouraging her, tell her she can do it and always let her know she has someone to fall back on. She will be fine, but it'll be a tough road. Just keep on smiling for her, and she'll eventually smile back. =)
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2007
I Can Relate
I am an 18 year old female bipolar/schizo who went through many of these peoblems. It seems that the bipolar-ness adds to the rotten teenager stage of life, dont you thnk? Most of my big experiences with being wild were at only 13 years old. The only reason they stopped was because my family stopped me. She needs your support. Rather than nagging (which I'm sure you get accused of all the time even if you're not), calmly bring up ideas about new work for her. Or calmly express how you really feel about her boyfriend. Let her know that you are concerned and worried. I'm sure you would love to have a good relationship with both daughter and the boyfriend. But apparently he just doesn't seem the type. She's already 17... Almost out of her teenage years. I had a pretty crappy relationship with my mom until this year at 18 years old. The only thing that changed was that I started taking medicines that worked for me and she started trying to be open minded and understanding about anything and everything. I don't know if this helps at all but it's all I got. haha.
|

replied February 4th, 2012
My 17 year old daughter is bipolar 1 ADD and very unhappy. Dropped out of school, has been hospitalized 3 times. Has been charged with Domestic abuse as she has beat me up three times. She wants to do what she wants when ever she wants, doesn't like questions or comments, stays in her room watching old movies for 2-3 days then leaves for a friends for 3-4 days. No job, no GED, no liscense. She has taken herself off all Meds and has deceided she is her own worst enemy and is taking back her life. Sick of Drs. Drs. meds and meds. I am worried the other shoe is gonna drop. Her dad and I cherish her and want her happy and productive. I love and support her but am no longer enabeling her with rides, her food prefernces, money etc...Any ideas?
|

replied May 25th, 2007
Most Teenagers
I really do hate to sound cynical but I think the drug companies would like every person on the face of the earth to be on meds. I had those kind of dramatic mood swings when I was a teenager; I remember thinking that maybe I was manic-depressive (what they used to call it back then.) But no, just regular teenage craziness, I'm a psych nurse and calm as can be yoga teacher. Some things, like oppositional defiant disorder, different adjustment disorders, depression and really lots of other diagnoses are not abnormal. Like everybody gets depressed sometimes, you're supposed to. (Like when something sad happens...) But there are plenty of doctors throwing antidepressants at people the second they say they feel sad. It's crazy. I mean, I know some people are helped by them but just because you're sad doesn't mean you need them or that they will work for you. And you have to remember that teenagers' brains are still growing and medication alters the brain. They can have rebound effects that makes the symptoms seem even worse than they were.
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Most Teenagers
Rachel B wrote:
I really do hate to sound cynical but I think the drug companies would like every person on the face of the earth to be on meds. I had those kind of dramatic mood swings when I was a teenager; I remember thinking that maybe I was manic-depressive (what they used to call it back then.) But no, just regular teenage craziness, I'm a psych nurse and calm as can be yoga teacher. Some things, like oppositional defiant disorder, different adjustment disorders, depression and really lots of other diagnoses are not abnormal. Like everybody gets depressed sometimes, you're supposed to. (Like when something sad happens...) But there are plenty of doctors throwing antidepressants at people the second they say they feel sad. It's crazy. I mean, I know some people are helped by them but just because you're sad doesn't mean you need them or that they will work for you. And you have to remember that teenagers' brains are still growing and medication alters the brain. They can have rebound effects that makes the symptoms seem even worse than they were.

I agree. Dx of bipolar d/o and adhd are a 'fad' right now. The drugs are abused for $ as well as behavior management issues.

I think every teenager has a 'touch' of bipolar, or borderline. Wink And that's fine and normal.
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2007
Uh Oh
i didn;t even think about the fact that teenagers brains are still growing ... that makes me nervous because ive been on medication since i was 13.
|

replied May 26th, 2007
Don't Worry About Something That's Already In the Past
Worry probably has a worse effect on you than anything. Just relax and be okay with the way things are at this moment.
|