Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Nausea Forum

Frequent Nausea, Sharp Stomach Pains, And Other Symptoms

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I have been to the urgent care and the emergency room for my abdominal pains and frequent urination. Both places tested me for a urinary tract infection and kidney stones, which it turns out I do not have. They emergency room did an ultrasound to check for gallstones, and everything looked fine they said. I hope they looked at more than just my gallbladder, considering the woman who did the scan scanned over my stomach and even my lower left side. The doctor was very cold and not personable at all, he came in told me there was nothing wrong and walked out. I couldn't believe he didn't even bother to ask me any questions about other symptoms and sadly I'm too shy to speak up (despite knowing I should have). My symptoms range from frequent nausea (sometimes not so bad ... sometimes when it's really bad I feel a bit faint). It has been off and on for about a year or more (which of course I was asked why I hadn't seen a doctor sooner and why I was now, which I don't have insurance, but the pain and other symptoms are dampering on my quality of life and I'm sick of it). I also have frequent urination, sometimes I have to force it to come out, because it won't on it's own. I usually go a lot, but sometimes it's almost nothing at all (that's when I just try to ignore it, especially when I'm trying to sleep). I sometimes feel I have to go, but nothing comes out. Usually not even 5 minutes after I've been to the bathroom I feel I have to go again (this happens more at night than during the day ... despite I do go quite often during the day as well but the length of time in between is much longer). I also have had a swollen gland in my neck for so long I can't even remember, my mom says it's nothing, because hers is always swollen as well. Even when I'd go to the doctor when I was younger I always remember him saying, "Your glands are a little swollen" (and that happened everytime). It only bothers me now because sometimes I get sharp pains in my neck on that side. I also have lower and middle back pain, which was why I thought I had a urinary tract infection. Everyone seems to believe it's all in my head and that I'm just a hypochrondriac, but for some reason I have an extremely hard time believing that. Going to the emergency room and urgent care, with them not finding anything ONLY fuels their fire! I don't think I can even bring myself to go anywhere again knowing they might find nothing again, and I'll be in even more debt considering I'm unemployed and without insurance. With all those things ruled out though ... kidney stones, urinary tract infection, and gallstones ... I am only left to think that it might be an ulcer (stomach or duodenal) ... or who knows! I'm too afraid to take pain relievers though in case it is, because some of them say they can cause stomach bleeding. And, I have reason to believe if I do have ulcers they aren't bleeding, but it sucks that I may have to wait until they are at that point ... and pray I vomit blood or have black tarry stool. Maybe it is all in my head, considering stomach pains in the top right and left don't quite go with lower back pain and frequent urination.

Last edited by stargazerlily on May 7th, 2007 10:31 PM; edited 1 time in total
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Possible Cause
Well, i don't know about the urination bit. However, the pain you describe, along with the nausea leads me to think about your gall bladder. the fact that they did an ultrasound to rule out gallstones does not preclude the fact that you could have a gall bladder function problem. The usual way to find this out is by doing a nuclear medicine scan called a hida scan. This is a test to gague the rate at which your gall bladder empties. It can be painful. It is also expensive. I see that you indicate that you have no insurance. You may be interested in a trial of acupuncture. Gall bladder problems are seldom life threatening, unless there is a stone blocking the duct. If you have yellowing of the skin, this is causeed by a back up of bilirubin, and this requires immediate attention. Sluggish gallbladder problems can be alleviated with surgery, but there is always a chance that this was not the original problem. Surgery is expensive, also.

On a personal note, i have had gallbladder problems for almost 4 years. I, too have visited the ER and Urgent care a couple of times. I had it removed for sluggish gall bladder, yet my pain continued. I was diagnosed with spasm of the sphincter of oddi, which is a dysfunction of the common bile duct. I have had thousands of dollars woth of testing done for them to tell me there is not that much wrong with me. i went to a pain management clinic, and was referred to acupuncture. i can tell you, it has made all the difference inthe world to me. i no longer want to kill myself due to pain.

If you want a full work-up, contact a gastroenterologist. If not, you might try giving the acupuncture a try. It helped me. Good luck!
|

replied April 16th, 2007
Thanks for that information! It is really irritating when you're in pain and no one can seem to find anything or you have tons of tests done to find out that there isn't that much wrong. Although there are so many things in the abdomen that could be the reason to my pain. My mom says because I don't have that many other symptoms that's why they just turned me away at the emergency room. Although I would consider frequent constipation a symptom and the other things I am experiencing as well. Although, maybe it still is something to do with my gallbladder, because see every once in awhile (this hasn't happened since at least demcember but) I have bouts of bowel movements with burning yellow liquid (sometimes it's greenish), which I'm guessing is bile or something like that. Although, oddly enough, that only seems to occur when I am extremely stressed out. Although that still doesn't explain the the sharp pains in the right abdominal region. And, yes, I will admit that my mental state sometimes plays a role in my symptoms, but they're defiitely not all in my head. A doctor even tried to make me believe that. I went to a university doctor for my abdominal pains while I was in college, and immediately he wanted to prescribe me anti-depressants without even knowing me or asking me about any of my other symptoms. Anyway, Acupuncture actually might be a good idea!
|

replied May 7th, 2007
Me Too
Embarassed

that is so weird. i am having the same dang problem. the constant bladder and stomach pains. i have been to the doctor about both problems and for the bladder he said it would go away, 2 months later and it still hasnt. they didnt connect the frenquency with the stomach. they did an h. pylori test on my stomach and it ruled out an ulcer so, i am going thursday to have more tests run, an upper scope and some others. anyway, i find it weird we are going through the same problems. i have missed a few weeks of school for it too so i cant miss any more so it really sucks. honestly i know how you feel... hopefully they find something out on thursday.
jacob
|

replied May 7th, 2007
Re: Me Too
Hey, yeah I am going to be (or might be) purchasing myself a "self check" test for H. Pylori, since I can't afford to go to the doctor at the moment. I guess over in the UK they have "self check" tests and of course we don't here in the US! So, if I can come up with $20 I will be able to get one on eBay! I've been doing research and I want to get a hold of some Glutamine Powder, which I guess is good for gastrointestinal problems. My mom is trying to tell me I have "fibromyalgia" or "chronic fatigue" but I am not so sure. My sharp pains have now gone away, except a few days ago I was having pinching/sharp pains in my lower back, and all I am is nauseous all the time it seems! The frequently going to the bathroom hasn't changed though! That sucks you have missed a few weeks of school due to it. I use to skip classes in college, and back in high school I was always nauseous due to my nerves (a few times to the point of vomitting), and so my mom jokes it's "all in my head" and "just stress", but I know what that feels like, and this is different. Yet, it might pay off if I get on some anti-anxiety medication as well, because I am an all around anxious person all the time, I can't help it though. Plus the glutamine, maybe some Activia, and whatever else LOL ... I have to self medicate and do what I can myself, because I am jobless at the moment. I also have been reading online and it could be IBS, or it could even be a B12 deficiency (I doubt it). Anyway, I hope they can help you out there! Let me know if they find anything though, because now I'm curious!

razorback301 wrote:
Embarassed

that is so weird. i am having the same dang problem. the constant bladder and stomach pains. i have been to the doctor about both problems and for the bladder he said it would go away, 2 months later and it still hasnt. they didnt connect the frenquency with the stomach. they did an h. pylori test on my stomach and it ruled out an ulcer so, i am going thursday to have more tests run, an upper scope and some others. anyway, i find it weird we are going through the same problems. i have missed a few weeks of school for it too so i cant miss any more so it really sucks. honestly i know how you feel... hopefully they find something out on thursday.
jacob
|

replied February 16th, 2009
Hey, i was having pains on the right side of my stomach. I been in and out of the hospital to many times to count. I've also got taken out of school because it got to the point of them sending me to the hospital everyday.
I started feeling the pains about 4 years ago, and my mom and doctor thought it was nothing but growing pains. But after so many trips to the hospital they finally did more test. And it tuned out that I had Ibs, But i know that wasen't the only thing wrong. Only you can tell what is really wrong with your body. I've been told for 4 years nothing was wrong with me, and if i would have been treated 4 years ago i wouldnt be in the pain i am today. It has caused alot more problems. Now i sufer with sudden weight Gain, and i can't control it. There are days would weigh 10-15 more, and then loose it the follwing day. Or it may even stay on, I also been having pains in my hands and back. My mom thinks it's arthitis but i believe i'm toyoung for that. And also i have been having a harder time remembering things, 4 years ago i was a "A" student now im lucky to get a "c" I also get bad headachs, and dizzyness and really bad pains in my chest and stomach. And once again the doctor thinks i'm to young to be having anything wrong with me. But im the one with the pain not him...so here i am again, looking for the answer, so if any of you have any idea what could be wrong with me let me know. I dont want to wait another 4 years and than have it be to late to help me. Thank you
|

replied May 15th, 2009
Kds123 im having exactly the same problem
ive been having headaches for years and theyve between getting increasingly worse.. in with that about a year ago i got bad memory
now im having sudden weigh gain and weight loss and over the past week ive been getting shooting pain in my left side just above my hip
i also suffer from severe mood swings (i dunno if this has anything to do with it)
i havent beeen to hospital about it as i believed that it was all in my head
also i think theres a link in our ages im 15 and still at school
and Kds123 said that they were at school and jacob.. i dont know whether there is an actual correlation between them or not
if someone does find out whats causing these please tell me
Elizabeth x
|

replied June 30th, 2009
I think you kids are really lucky to have this forum at your disposal. When I was your age (I'm 52 now) I went through similar things and was repeatedly told "...you are having growing pains...it's nothing, don't worry about it...you're too young to have these problems...it's all in your head..." Don't let ANYONE tell you that you have nothing wrong with you if you know there is. It's YOUR body, not theirs. I think doctors are overworked these days, with high overhead and more and more of them being OWNED by the hospitals, they don't have time to make REAL diagnoses.

Here is my suggestion to all of you...I am a paralegal and when a client needs to help us make a case I always say...get a notebook and WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING. I mean...what time you get up, what time you go to bed, what time you eat, when you sneeze, when you pee, when you poop....ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. If you are tracking your weight, this is all the more important so you can show what you've been eating and how your body is reacting. And keep track of each and every ache, pain and quiver you have so when you go to the doctor you can say..."Look Doc, I know you think I'm just a nut case, but here's my record of intake, output and pain...on a time schedule. Can you just take me serious for ten minutes while you look this over?? 'Cuz if you don't...and I find out down the road that I really AM sick and you ignored me...I'm sueing your ASS."

That should take care of it. Good luck...and keep talking to each other. If nothing else, it helps you know that you're not crazy.
|

replied March 12th, 2010
i have a daugther who is currently 12years old. she has had major stomach pains as early as 7 years old, we have been the the hospital twice this month and have been to the drs at least 6 times a year because of her stomach problems. She was test 3 times for hpylori and was borderline both times, so they sent us home with antacids and said to take one every day. Well we did for 1 year staight to no avail she still has stomach pains, she says they are sharp pains around her belly button. When we recently went to the hospital they did an ultasound and cat scan and found nothing and labeled it a viral infection. Her pains are so intense, she will get into a fetal position and she says she gets dizzy and feels like she is going to pass out from the pain. She says she also gets a salty taste in her mouth, like she is going to throw up. Now I am thinking I should be an upper gi and lower gi to see if they can find anything as I really don't know what else to ask for in testing to find out what it is. It really hinders her going out as I know I will get a call from her to pick her up as her stomach is hurting. She does have asthma and in middle school she has to run the mile, I can always expect a call from the nurses office on these days as that is when it really starts to hurt to the point she feels like she is going to pass out, even when she has taken albuterol. I am really at a loss and feel helpless as I can't tell her why it hurts or why the drs can't diagnose it. HELP!
|

replied July 12th, 2010
Wow - you guys are really under the pump. I agree with ReneeSue57 - you are so lucky to have this forum and for goodness sakes write everything down especially what you eat and what time you have your symptoms.I am from Australia and it would seem our medical care system is much better than we Aussie's give it credit for. Ok, lots of posts here with different symptoms. I am a vet so I think that has helped me. Might help you guys too? Nobody has mentioned blood tests? Blood tests will show you if your pancreas, liver and biliary tract are working within normal limits. They really should be taken as a rule out before imaging is done. Look into biliary duct strictures and Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. Pain in the right upper quadrant of your abdomen is a pathognomic sign of problems here. I have a major issue with my Sphincter of Oddi and it only shows up on a HIDA scan. I get upper right quadrant pain (to the point of hospitalisation) diarrhea, constipation, cramping of the digestive tract etc with this problem presumably due to problems with bile flow. I have bile reflux into my stomach and oesophagus presumably due to back flow. If I am sick enough to vomit I have green/yellow vomit - this is bile. Stop searching the internet and find a medico that will take your symptoms seriously. These problems can cause permanant damage and shorten your life. YOu may have to go through several doctors before you find the one that works for you. These problems can be uncommon - google manometry of the bile duct. You will see what I mean. Average GPs will not be able to help. Good luck and good health. Aussieoptimist
|

replied October 13th, 2012
I have been having sharp pains in my stomach and have been feeling sick to my stomachs ever since I had sex the first time. It has not stopped.
|