Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Herpes and Genital Warts Forum

What causes the Epstein-Barr virus?

Must Read
20% of the population has or carries herpes simplex virus. But do you know what herpes is? Learn about causes and risk factors for herpes. ...
Do you know the less common signs and symptoms of herpes? Get the facts of herpes symptoms and outbreaks here....
Herpes diagnosis requires proper testing. Learn about the two simple tests that doctors use to confirm a herpes diagnosis....
User Profile
I have been diagnosed with Epstein-Barr virus and I have it now for 3 years. I cannot take the pain any more. Every 3 months i do blood tests and it keeps on showing positive. There must be something that is causing this virus . Please can you help ?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2007
Herpes Answer A2644
Given your description, I must assume that the blood tests you described detected anti-EBV antibodies in your blood. If the antibodies are from the class of "IgG" antibodies, that is normal and means that you’ve overcome the infection. But if anti-EBV antibodies are from the "IgM-class", then this indicates that the virus is still present in the body. You may consult an infectologist for an expert opinion.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Herpes and Genital Warts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.