Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

can I have my hair colored still and it won't harm my baby?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Bluebubble888
can I have my hair colored still and it won't harm my baby?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2004
Advanced Support Team
No hun it wont harm your baby at all... Im glad to see that you are on here,and if you need any help or have any questions just ask anything.. We will help if we can
|

Thanks tazzyd Wink it is so wonderful to know that I have people to ask, this is my 1st baby and i'm so scared and excited all at the same time, all these changes are crazy, my breasts, girl do they ever hurt but no morning sickness yet......Thats coming isn't it!?!? So why do some people say coloring you hair is bad? I suppose one can say almost everything is bad for ya when your pregnant........It how you take care of your self right?
|

User Profile
Advanced Support Team
Coloring is the smell tha can affect the baby. Also some people say that it doesnt hold as well when you are pregnant. About your breast hun alot of warm compress. Im going through this now for the 6th time.. Morning sickness you may never get so keep your fingers crossed
|

Wow 6 children thats wonderful but I bet a houseful!! They keep you busy! So how far are you with the 6th child?
|

Extremely eHealthy
lidarkeyes wrote:
thanks tazzyd Wink it is so wonderful to know that I have people to ask, this is my 1st baby and i'm so scared and excited all at the same time, all these changes are crazy, my breasts, girl do they ever hurt but no morning sickness yet......Thats coming isn't it!?!? So why do some people say coloring you hair is bad? I suppose one can say almost everything is bad for ya when your pregnant........It how you take care of your self right?

some people say that aren't enough studies to show if it is safe or if it is harmful, so it's a personal decision. Also, perms are a no no. Not only are the chemicals unsafe, but your hair/skin may not have the best outcome. I got a perm when I was pregnant with my first, before I knew I was pregnant. My head was burning, and I didn't know why. Not saying that would happen to you. Just another opinion.
|

replied November 30th, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
Hey! Welecome and congrats! On the hair dye issue my doc told me to wait till the second trimester then if I chose to go ahead and dye it! Hope this helps lol. I personally am gonna just wait until I have the baby! The old better safe then sorry. Good luck hun.
|

Experienced User
I think hair dye is totally safe as long as your not breathing in the chemicals~!!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Just a note about hair dye.

Holly ea, bracci pm, hong mk, mueller ba, preston-martin s. West coast study of childhood brain tumours and maternal use of hair-colouring products. Paediatr perinat epidemiol. 2002 jul;16(3):226-35.

Found no evidence that hair coloring using n-nitroso compounds (noc) had increase in prenatal tumors.
(there was an 87 study that showed more use of hair color among women who ended up with kids with birth defects, but it was just one of many factors, and the above study ruled out the hair coloring as the cause).

There is lead in the dye, but while skin absorbtion of lead can happen, it is not that significant.

Now, the first trimester is always more risky for the development of the pregnancy, and in particular the first 40 days are very significant. So if women waith until 2nd month before dealing with any kind of chemicals, then the risk becomes even smaller. It is not clear that the risk is significant to begin with, though.
|
Quick Reply