Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Trigger Point Therapy

User Profile
Last night there were tons of crazee storms here in Ohio and that always aggravates my TMJ. I was reading a book a bout Trigger Point Therapy I have bought, it says you can massage your muscles yourself. I of course am going to speak to my massage therapist about it. But, I was feeling around my neck and jaw muscles like the book said, and rubbed them a little. First off I was amazed that these muscles felt just the way the book said they would, refering pain to my jaw and head. Then when I went to sleep, I swear I felt a little less pain than usual. Have any of you had any experience with this form of therapy? I know my bite needs to be corrected by the TMJ dentist, but this seems helpful as well. I think with TMJ there is no one "quck-fix" (how un-American) and several disciplines are going to be involved.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 13th, 2007
Supporter
Yes Crystal,
Self-massage using the trigger point method works quite well. I use this method every day at different spots on my shoulder, neck, face and just below my collar bones. It just makes me feel more relaxed. I'm not sure what your MT is going to say about it because he/she might fear she's going to lose a customer, but both types of massages work well together, in my opinion.

Good job,
Carol
|

User Profile
replied April 13th, 2007
Experienced User
I don't think I could replace my massage therapist altogether! Did you learn how to do it from a book? I asked my chiropractor about it today and she said its a good idea to do it. She actually does a little bit of massage on my jaw. Every muscle in my neck and jaw have sore spots on them! I feel like I am learning more about my condition and what makes it better, which is I guess what you mean when you say managing. Now if I could just get to the point where I didnt need so much pain meds , that's my goal. I wouldn't even mind getting a headache once in a while like a normal person, just not every day!
|

User Profile
replied April 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
you can use any means to make yourself feel better. massage is often very good. like my surgeon said do anything you want if it feels good do it and if it hurts quit it.
|