Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Switching birth control pills: can I get pregnant?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
User Profile
I recently switched bc pills from Orthonovum 1/35 to Yasmin, and I had sex within the first 7 days of my first pack of Yasmin (I started the day after my inactive Orthonovum pills just like I would've started any new pack). Could I be pregnant? I am now on the 4th day of inactive pills where I am supposed to get my period, but I haven't gotten it yet. Could this mean I am possibly pregnant or is it just because I switched pills?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2007
Birth Control Answer A2618
The only way you can find out if you are pregnant or not is to take a pregnancy test. Switching contraceptive pills shouldn’t decrease the pill's efficiency. However, antibiotics may interact with the contraceptive pills and decrease their efficiency.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Birth Control , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.