Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Bile Duct Disorders Forum

Lazy Gallbladder

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
A couple weeks ago I was feeling some discomfort on my right side so I went to see my doctor he recomended that I have a HIDA scan done the results came in and it showed that my gallbladder was working at 9% so it had to be removed. With those results I went to my gastroenterologist and he recomended a sonogram and a CT scan, both results came out normal and it showed I had no gallstones so he said I had a lazy bladder and that removal wasnt necessary. So what can I do? Do I have it removed? What are the chances that my gallbladder function will go down from 9%? One more thing the discomfort has gone away.

Thank You
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper MrBlond
|

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Lazy Gallbladder
My advice is to leave it alone if it is not hurting you.
|

replied February 19th, 2009
lazy gallbladder
similar story to the one above. except it is causing me to be extremely nauseous all the time. low energy, losing weight. i'm no overweight to begin with and i eat pretty healthy. what are the alternatives to surgery? other than weight loss and healthy diet? i have no stones, just a little pain and a lot of nausea.
|

replied August 16th, 2009
gallbladder problems in a 9yo
My husband had a "lazy gallbladder" that was functioning at 30%, and causing a lot of pain. He had it removed, and now the pain is gone, but he still has bouts of nausea and diarrhea.
Now, my 9-year-old daughter is experiencing daily nausea and fatigue, and she will be going in for a HIDA scan next month. I am very hesitant to have her undergo surgery if her gallbladder isn't functioning fully, since I have seen in my husband that the symptoms don't go completely away. She is too young to be looking at a lifetime of symptoms! Her other symptom is the opposite of nostones- she has gained a lot of weight since the most recent onset of symptoms (over about 20 months ago), even though her diet has not really changed.
|

replied February 16th, 2011
Gallbadder
Ask the Doctor why the Gallbladder is working at 7%, is it due to gallstones blocking. That is most likely the cause.

Diet can assist, actually is very important to healthy liver and gallbladder.

Also Chanca Piedra -Herbal Tea as well as other herbs like Gold Coin Grass usually can bring the gallbladder back to normal over time.

Do not remove the gallbladder unless absolutely necessary, the gallbladder recycles bile and impurities from the liver, once removed they could lead to problems in the liver or kidney. You can cleanse them with simple olive oil, google the net there is tons of information out there!
|

replied June 22nd, 2011
An old post but I'm looking for answers to my pain. I had my gallbladder out last October, it was normal. The surgeon told me there was only 60% chance of the operation working since I didn't have gallstones. (Had {and still have}a lot of pain). Had an ERCP done 2 weeks ago to cut the Sphincter of Oddi at the end of the bile duct to let the bile flow. Still have pain. The surgeon that took out my gallbladder said an ERCP only had 10% chance of working. I took the chance 'cos the pain is awful. Doctors don't seem to have answers. It amazes me, they can do heart surgery and brain surgery, but this they don't seem to be able to help. Is it just because it's more rare and the research isn't there?? It's so frustrating, and not something you hear about until it happens to you.
|

replied August 31st, 2011
What was the reason you had your gallbladder removed if it was normal? Did you have tests prior to the removal? If so, what were the tests? Did you have a Hida Scan?
I'm wondering what symptons you had prior to the removal because I am having discomfort from my gallbladder but I still have it. I do not have any gallstones.
|

replied January 11th, 2012
I had my gall bladder removed 6 years ago, before the surgery I had a lot of pain in my right side going towards my back it doesn't have gallstones but lazy gallbladder. One thing for sure is that after the surgery all my pain go away also I can eat or drink what ever I want, sometime if I eat a lots of grease food have a little diarrhea but at the end I'm very happy that I removed.
|

replied June 12th, 2013
Gallbladder problems
had severe shooting pains in my gallbladder and went to er. they gave me pain meds and sent me home since CT didn't show anything. Ultrasound showed nothing. HIDA scan showed a "delayed" functioning gallbladder. having increasingly high nausea, constant pain in gallbladder and back shoulder blade... sometimes it tightens up and squeezes up like a tight sponge and i can feel it. sometimes it "contracts" with out warning and i jump off the couch it's so strong?... doctors did ulcer test and now put me on month of IBS medicine even though i have no problems going the bathroom and it's always consistent... i'm hoping after this they will take my gallbladder out like they said so i can feel better. i called them because my pain is chronic now and i'm so tired work is very difficult for me and my nausea is just getting worse.
|

replied June 12th, 2013
Gallbladder problems
had severe shooting pains in my gallbladder and went to er. they gave me pain meds and sent me home since CT didn't show anything. Ultrasound showed nothing. HIDA scan showed a "delayed" functioning gallbladder. having increasingly high nausea, constant pain in gallbladder and back shoulder blade... sometimes it tightens up and squeezes up like a tight sponge and i can feel it. sometimes it "contracts" with out warning and i jump off the couch it's so strong?... doctors did ulcer test and now put me on month of IBS medicine even though i have no problems going the bathroom and it's always consistent... i'm hoping after this they will take my gallbladder out like they said so i can feel better. i called them because my pain is chronic now and i'm so tired work is very difficult for me and my nausea is just getting worse.
|