Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Belly Button Pain After Gallbladder Surgery (Page 1)

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
I recently had gallbladder surgery larascopic method and now I seem to have pains on the left hand side of my belly button. It's almost like a pinched nerve feeling burning and kinda like stabbing pain.. Did this ever happen to anyone after surgery?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper nleger25
|

User Profile
replied April 8th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
how long ago was your surgery? i just had mine done thursday, i am quite sore but no burning pains. some can be gas related. or even where ur sutured shut, if its been a while id check back with your dr though.
|

replied April 5th, 2014
March 28. 2014 one week ago
|

replied April 9th, 2007
Hi there, it will be 2 weeks Tuesday that I had it removed. I was reading on another forum and I guess the pain is normal I guess they cut through muscles near the belly button and it's nerve endings that are healing kinda makes sense. I am going to make an appt to make sure though just to be safe.. How are you healing?
|

replied March 31st, 2009
belly button pain and discharge after gall bladder removal
i am at the two week mark and i have been having server pain in my belly button and brown yellow white gobbs of discharge. i have been keeping it clean it keeps returning x's a week now. omg the pain hurts so bad at times i stop what im doing. its smelly and warm to the touch in the area im sure its infected. suggestions.. i made a appt.
|

replied April 30th, 2009
belly button pain left side
I had my gallbladder removed 4 weeks ago and have had such pain since then on the left side of my belly button. I've been to my doctor and she said she doesn't see anything wrong. Would really like to talk with others who are going through the same things.
|

replied August 10th, 2009
belly button pain/bloating!!
Well I've had my gall bladder out since March 2006, and am only now getting pains in my belly button and just underneath..I recently had a baby back in October via c-section, I don't know if this can be related, But I doubt it..It could be from the scar..nothing is ever the same after you have surgery! anyone one else's stomach big after getting the surgery done? Mine don't seem to go down, I swear I still Look Preggo! Open For Suggestions..Great Group
Alberta, Canada
|

replied August 24th, 2012
There is a lotion you can apply and it will help you with imflamation I can tell you the name of this lotion if youd like. it help me lots.
|

replied March 6th, 2010
I had my gallbladder out 5 weeks ago. My belly button is so sore. It hurts to wear pants. I went to see my Dr. and he said there was no infection and that I should just give it a little more time to heal. (What happened to this being an easy surgery with quick recovery?) I have had 3 children and was able to wear pants much sooner than this.
|

replied July 16th, 2012
I had gall bladder surgery March 22, 2012 and I still have the discomfort near bellybutton when I wear pants. I can only wear skirts and yoga pants. Doctor keeps telling me Im just taking longer to heal. How long did it take for your pain to go away. Was your surgery laparcopic?
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2010
I have had my gallbladder removed exactly a week ago, and I am experiencing pain described above on the left hand side of my belly button, every time i move i feel a sharp, stabbing pain in the area. I have made an appointement to see my GP, but I cant get in untill Wednesday, thought I check if anybody else had similar issues.
|

replied April 5th, 2014
I just had my gallbladder removed 1 week ago. I am having alot of pain in my bellybutton and left side. they also repaired a umbilicord hernia. It's very sharp and intense pain.what did they say was the problem!!!
|

replied April 5th, 2014
I don't know I'm trying to find out what the problem is?? I just joined the forum...
|

replied April 16th, 2010
Gallbladder pain after one week surgery
I too am one week out from gallbladder surgery and am having the same pain to the left of my belly button..I dont remember it being there the first few days after surgery, but its just about the only pain I am now experiencing...it is a very sharp, stabbing, and a burning sensation...I am glad to see others are having it, but a little disappointed that no one''s doctor seems to think that its a problem...I go for my recheck Monday, maybe if I get an answer, I will post it for everyone....
|

replied June 18th, 2010
gallbladder removal belly button pain
I had my gallbladder removed 5 days ago and my belly button hurts so bad. my stomach is so swollen I look 6 months prego. wow I hope that goes away!!! but yes I have had pain just to the left side as well I was hoping to go back to work on the 24th but my job is very physical and not sure how i'm gonna manage, as it's hurts my BB just to sit up, standup and walk, ouchhhh!! Will it ever get better, and what do I do when I run out of pain meds as I am almost out????
|

replied July 8th, 2010
Belly Button pain after gallbladder surgery
Hello I am 2 months post gallbladder surgery and am also experiencing the severe stinging pain to the left side of the belly button. I have tried several time to see physician and am told that everything I am experiencing is normal. It feels like someone is holding a match to my insides and burning me and I can't get away from it. Definately cannot stretch in the mornings, sometimes pain is so severe that if I even fold my arms and rest them on my upper stomach it causes the pain around the belly button area. Takes my breath away. I have had 5 c-sections and at 2 months out felt better with those recoveries than this. Has anyone had any luck with prognosis? Very Frustrated!!
|

replied June 15th, 2012
gall bladder surgery
oh my! you are describing exactly what I have been experiencing!! I have been telling Drs. for FOUR years that it feels like someone is "putting a hot poker into my belly button". After 3 GI docs (I refused to accept that I had IBS and was constipated, which I KNEW was not the problem). I can pinpoint the pain with my fingertip, and it is activity related. FINALLY, the fourth GI Dr. said right away, what I suspected all along, that I have some kind of nerve entrapment/damage (the pain is right at the incision site). I had a series of 6 injections into the site (steroid plus anesthetic). These helped but didn't last. I take a med. for nerve pain (gabapentin), which helps a little. Next month I will be seeing a surgeon as the next step is to go in and see if there is anything that can be done, i.e. adhesions removed, etc. I did go back to the original surgeon, who said that NO, YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ADHESIONS FROM LAP. SURGERY, BUT MY CURRENT GI DOC SAYS THAT IS NOT TRUE AND HE HAS HAD CASES WHERE THEY GO BACK IN AND FIND PROBLEMS. One of his patients was sent to a psychiatrist, as they decided it must be in his head".
This supposedly simple procedure where I would be "back to normal" in 2 weeks, has been a long ordeal. I see you wrote this 2 years ago How are you now?
|

replied July 16th, 2012
How was the nerve entrapment diagnosed? CT? I had my surgery back in March and still have stinging pain to the right of the bellybutton sometimes very close to the actual bellybutton. They keep telling me that Im just taking longer to heal but I feel like its healed and just didnt heal well. I cannot wear pants due to the pain/discomfort I feel in that area. I wear skirts and yoga pants and its soooo frustrating.
|

replied July 20th, 2010
Big Belly after surgery
I had my gall bladder out over 2 months ago I am very Frustrated that I look about 8 month pregnant!? My tummy has never looked this bad! Is this Normal?? I do not have any pains??
|

replied August 5th, 2010
Gallbladder pain after surgery
I had my gallbladder removed 6 days ago. I am a 47yo woman, and my poor tummy is so swollen! I too have pain on the left hand side of my belly button, which I never experienced prior to the op. I am slso having sharp, stabbing pains under the right side of my rib cage and pain radiating thru to my lower right back. My gp, took all 5 dressings off yesterday...4 incisions look great but the belly button has granulated, so he put some silver nitrate on it and redressed it for another week. Wearing jeans or any pants for that matter is a challenge and quite uncomfortable. I guess things can only get better from here on in!
|

replied August 18th, 2010
Interesting posts here and helpful to know I am not alone. I am 9 day post op and had follow up appt yesterday. My belly is alittle larger than normal, I been using ice actually...feels better to me. The Dr said I would have a lump under my belly button and it would be there a month or so. I didn't feel it there until he mentioned it lol. I have had that burning, pulling sensation... it's still WAY early for me to say I have problems but good to know others are in same boat. Hopefully it will go away for all...I would like to see a post saying that Wink
|

replied October 15th, 2011
Lump by belly button after GB removal.
Curious about your lump under the belly button... how long did it take to go away, and did the dr. say why/what it is? I just had my gb out a week ago and it's really freaking me out, the lump under my belly button, because my dr. never said anything about it and I can really feel it there, and it seems foreign inside there to me. My follow up appt. is next week so I'll ask then but I was just curious how you ended up. Let me know if you happen to get this? Thanks!
|

replied August 21st, 2010
I had larascopic surgery to remove my gallbladder two years ago now, and am currently experiencing small drips of blood discharging from my belly button. This does appear to be from the left hand side, which can be very uncomfortable to touch, much like the pain described by users in this forum.

Is/has anyone else experienced this also?
|

replied September 1st, 2010
Gall Bladder and Gall Stones Removal
I had gall bladder removal surgery and 3 large stones removed 2 months ago and my left side is killing me and if I lie down flat on my back I throw up and when I stand up my stomach feels just like I got out of surgery. The throwing up last about 3 days. What could be causing this. I am gaining weight like crazy and I am supposed to get married October 16 but not looking promising now. I don't want to get married looking and feeling like this. Can someone help me?
|

replied October 31st, 2010
Pains at Belly button after gallbladder surgery
I am 4weeks out from my surgery and i have the same pains in my belly button! If i do to much around the house i feel it! I go back to work in 15 days! I Had been sick since July 5th and didn't have surgery till Sept 29th because my blood work was all normal! Well after surgery my surgeon told me if they had waited any longer i would have died because my gallbladder was so badly infected it would have burst on me! My incision scar at my belly button is twice the size as a normal one because my gallbladder was so badly infected and full of stones and puss they had to stretch the incision and cut it longer! But I am so glad it is out that's for sure! It's nice to see others with the same problems!

Brittany
Central Arkansas
|

replied November 22nd, 2010
No Problems- Gall Bladder Removal
I had mine out last week and not a problem. Naturally around the belly button is a little tender but apparently there are dissolving stitches in there and lots of pushing and pulling took place during the surgery so I expect a little discomfort. Hopefully I continue to heal as well as I am as I plan to go back to work next week.
Adi
Melbourne Australia
|

replied December 9th, 2010
Just had GB out Friday- had complications from pain meds and back in ER- so no pain pills for me. Not much pain, was able to eat the next day but stuck to soup, crackers, bananas - had pasta today but that was too much- I was told by a nurse the best thing to do after is take Probiotics, which I do as it helps to heal your digestive system- something like Align is good. I have belly button pain and it looks awful and bloody-will see Doc tomorrow-incision between ribs is very sore as dr pushed too hard in ER. I also take Prilosec forever now. I am really looking into natural stuff, there are some good teas for digestion and bananas help me. The bruising is ugly around my navel and it feels like twisting inside there. The other sites look good. I was most upset as it took months of drs to believe something was wrong and then in the ER he said I was having a panic attack- once you have that label, you are considered a hypochondriac and most drs wont listen or do any tests- i was sent home with valium and told to relax-woke up very ill and I am angry as I was having complications from the surgery, has anyone had problems with low body temp? mine before and after is about 95-96 and 97 during the day. My husband had a bad time with his , as a bile duct was knicked and he had a few days in the hospital as they had to go back in and fix the mistake, he was so sick! I too cant lay flat, sleep with a pillow propped up, it helps after and you have to take deep breaths and walk alot if you can so you dont get pleurisy or bronchitis or pneumonia-the deep breathes help and the walking helps get things moving-the shoulder pain from the gas is so painful too. I wish you all good healing!
|

replied January 4th, 2011
Tomorrow it will be 7 days since my gall bladder surgery. I went to see my surgeon today because of the killer pain on left side of belly button. the same as you all have written. I swear there is a needle poking inside on left side and burning. I dont cry but this pain has made me cry alot. the surgeon said today basically this is normal due to moving other organs around to get to the gall bladder. I want to thank you all for your stories because i feel a bit more normal now. i was supposed to go back to work tomorrow but it has been postponed until monday. There is no way i could do it tomorrow. Thanks again for telling your stories and for helping me feel im not alone
|

replied February 20th, 2012
gall bladder- and surround pain near navel
I find this so interesting, as the ultra sound some months back reflected that my Gall bladder is completely FULL of stones- I was very busy and had to defer the operation until next week. I have in the interim developed terrible sharp hot stabbing pains near the navel and went to the Surgeon today to ensure there are no other problems pre-op and he thinks its an umbilical hernia which I have just developed! I Go for further ultra sounds tomorrow as i wanted this also attended to whilst in theatre.. I am now wondering after reading your posts if this is not related to the GB as you all had this post op mine has started pre op? I have met a few people who recovered immediately from a GB operation but I have been warned that those with advanced GB problems can take a bit longer to recover.
|