Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

When Does the Pill Start Working?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
recently i just started on birth control. Today is my 13th day on the pill. i started on it the sunday after i got my period. me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex lastnight, and he 'went' in me. i've only been on the pill for a short time, so i dont know whether or not to be worried about getting pregnant. im only 16 years old, so im not really looking to get pregnant right now. Everyone is telling me not to worry, you've been on the pill for more than a week, so you're not going to be pregnant. is this true?

i need as many messages about this.
thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile lmw
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
They're right, the pill becomes effective after seven days if you have taken it every day and at the same time every day. Keep in mind that no method of birth control is 100% effective though, so there is still a small chance that you could become pregnant even if you never skip a pill and take it at exactly the same time every day. The pill is somewhere around 98% effective by itself if taken as directed.

You can use condoms or spermicide for added protection if you want.

Whether or not your boyfriend ejaculates into you won't make too much difference since pre-ejaculate can contain enough sperm to impregnate you.
|

replied April 6th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Can Anyone Help..?
lindsee wrote:

i need as many messages about this.

Why? YOu have your answers. Chill.
|

User Profile
replied April 9th, 2007
Experienced User
although some sources say use backup methods for a month such as condoms, after 7 days of taking birth control (as long as you havent missed them and are taking them on time) you should not be worried!
i was like that 2 except my bf came in me after like 9 days. but everything is good. dont stress my dear Smile
|

replied April 11th, 2007
Experienced User
The pill should start to work after 7 days sweetie do dont worry to much
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2007
Supporter
I became pregnant after being on it for only 3 weeks
|

replied April 11th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
candita sky wrote:
I became pregnant after being on it for only 3 weeks

hehehehe i was going to scare the poor girll too, because i had been on bc for 5 years and then got preggers...never in my live of taking the pill did i miss or was late on taking it...and poof i was preggers.
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2007
Supporter
yep I am the most fertile is what all my freinds say.
child 1...condom spermacide insert and the pill
2....condoms
3 pill for 3 weeks
4 angel baby......tubal ligation in o\02 conceived last year
so I hope the pill works for you hun.
|

replied April 12th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
candita sky wrote:
yep I am the most fertile is what all my freinds say.
child 1...condom spermacide insert and the pill
2....condoms
3 pill for 3 weeks
4 angel baby......tubal ligation in o\02 conceived last year
so I hope the pill works for you hun.

Wow, you are fertile XD

Some women just are lol. Nothing any man-made device can do to stop nature in some cases, huh?
|

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2007
Supporter
Hope i didnt scare ya hun it may work for you just not for others.
|

replied December 18th, 2009
I have been on the pill for just 10 days now and had unprotected sex yesterday, he didnt come inside of me but im still really worried. Is there a chance i could be pregnant? I dont know whether to go and get the morning after pill or not?
|

replied December 18th, 2009
I have been on the pill for just 10 days now and had unprotected sex yesterday, he didnt come inside of me but im still really worried. Is there a chance i could be pregnant? I dont know whether to go and get the morning after pill or not?
|

replied February 22nd, 2010
worried
i have been off the pill for about a yr and decided to go back on. but the period i was supposed to start it on wasn't normal. i was spotting and thought i was coming on so i stared the pill, then realised it wasn't a period so i stopped for 6 days then carried on. had unprotected sex 13 days after (he came in me) and started spotting again4 days after even though on the pill. i am a little worried. could i be pregnant?
|

replied May 7th, 2010
listen, if you are going to be sexually active enough to where you want to take birth control, you have to understand that there is some risk....i got pregnant at 16 and i thought it would never happen....i was on the depo-povera shot at the time....birth control is not a shield, its just a tool to help slim the chances, all im sayin? if you cant take care of a child, dont put yourself in the situation to have one! much love <3
|

replied October 16th, 2013
Unprotected sex!
Need some advice please??
I've been having sex with this girl for a few days and we have not been using protection?? I know! Not the best thing to be doing?? But we were both happy with this decision at the time! It's been 3 days now and I have just found out she has not taken anything to help Provent pregnancy?? Should I be worried? What can I do?
|

Community Volunteer (online)
Of course she can be pregnant. This is normally the discussion you have before sex. At this stage there is not much you can do but wait. She can take a pregnancy test a week after a missed period. Repeat it 7 days later to confirm. Causing stress and worry for her will just increase the likelihood that she will not get her period on time.
|

i agree with you. because they does not use safety way.
as a result they may be suffer
Genital Wartsor Penis Warts
|