Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Multiple Abortions And Difficulties In Future Pregnancies (Page 1)

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
User Profile
As we have all established, future fertility problems are not consequences of first-trimester abortions, as many pro-lifers enjoy to spread, but I have been wondering if, after a heavy number of terminations, the uterus can become scarred, thin, or damaged to a point where future miscarriages, ectopic pregnancies, and infertility are quite clearly possible consequences? I mean, this is how the media portrays the issue and I was thinking if, let's say, a prostitute has ten abortions are any of the aforementioned possible as a direct result of the terminations (probably not infertility since she still managed to get pregnant a tenth time after the ninth abortion).

I suppose Cari would be the most knowledgeable in this area but anybody is welcome. Are miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies possible after this?

Kypros.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 4th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
From what I have read, your risk does not significantly increase until you've had nearly 20 abortions.
|

replied April 4th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Eiri wrote:
From what I have read, your risk does not significantly increase until you've had nearly 20 abortions.
This is true. Most of these numbers come from Romania where it is typical for women to have multiple abortions. Women in the UK and US do not have anywhere near the number of abortions Romanian women do so reporting the risk of abortion in either location is usually just a scare tactic to try and keep women from obtaining an abortion.

Is it a risk? Yes, there is risk with any medical procedure but abortion in industrialized nations is the safest medical procedure you can undergo. Is it as big of a risk as some people try to imagine? Absolutely .n.o.t.
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2007
Experienced User
jenn_smithson wrote:
Eiri wrote:
This is true. Most of these numbers come from Romania where it is typical for women to have multiple abortions. Women in the UK and US do not have anywhere near the number of abortions Romanian women do so reporting the risk of abortion in either location is usually just a scare tactic to try and keep women from obtaining an abortion.

Is it a risk? Yes, there is risk with any medical procedure but abortion in industrialized nations is the safest medical procedure you can undergo. Is it as big of a risk as some people try to imagine? Absolutely .n.o.t.

Not that I'm tarnishing Romania with a bad brush, but I would imagine that medical quality and safety there is not as good as in the UK or the USA, so perhaps that could be another factor. But I guess what I mean is if a woman who had a very rebellious past had, let's say, six abortions in her younger years and is now ready to have a baby, are the risks high? I wouldn't have thought so and I hate the way abortions are portrayed to the public as unsafe, life-threatening operation which can "mess up your insides". I do believe some people would be very surprised to know that birth is more health-provoking.
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2007
Supporter
Like many i would presume that having an abortion would arise future problems purely because it is putting strees on the body and making it do something that it isn't meant to do. When a woman has a m/c future problems can arise and that is 'natures abortion' so in honestly i have no idea
|

replied April 5th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Kypros wrote:

Not that I'm tarnishing Romania with a bad brush, but I would imagine that medical quality and safety there is not as good as in the UK or the USA, so perhaps that could be another factor.
I didn't give a whole lot of background, my bad, but I wasn't intending to tarnish romania or romanian women either. At one time they had a stupid and brutal dictator who outlawed abortion (which it still occurred, surprise, surprise) and also contraception because he wanted to build up the army and economy and he thought the best way would be to increase the number of people (like I said, stupid). So, for them, abortions were a lot easier to access than birth control because it was absolutely being controlled by the government and abortions could be excused as miscarriages. This dictator also instituted a "pregnancy police," a force of men who investigated claims of pregnancy to ensure that the women did not self-induce (compulsory and monthly pregnancy testing was required for most public jobs). Of course, these draconian measures never did meet his goals for the labor force and economy and as a result the abortion rates (and maternal death rates) skyrocketed. Romanian women, though, began to see an abortion as a right of passage and also a cleansing ritual for their body. Even though the dictator was overthrown and birth control is now widely available, these women still have abortions rates that are four to six times higher than the US and the UK. So, denying birth control does have an affect on the abortion rates!

Parts of russia, too, have high abortion rates because for the longest time that .w.a.s the only birth control they had access to.

Quote:
But I guess what I mean is if a woman who had a very rebellious past had, let's say, six abortions in her younger years and is now ready to have a baby, are the risks high?
No. She should be fine as long as she did not experience a complication with her earlier abortion and as long as the abortions were performed in a safe, sterile location. If she experienced complications earlier (very, very rare), she needs to tell her doctor when she's thinking of becomming pregnant so that they can decide on the best course of action to ensure a healthy, safe pregnancy. Even if she did have a complication, it does not mean that she cannot become pregnant or carry a pregnancy to term. Many women who have multiple abortions are shocked even more when they become pregnant the second time because they, too, had been misled on abortion's safety.

The chances really are nil until she nears 20 or more abortions.

Quote:
I wouldn't have thought so and I hate the way abortions are portrayed to the public as unsafe, life-threatening operation which can "mess up your insides". I do believe some people would be very surprised to know that birth is more health-provoking.
People are surprised when I tell them that labor and delivery are 11 times more dangerous than obtaining an abortion and that the chance of infertility following delivery is much, much more than the chance of infertility because of an abortion. They think that because they believe abortion is evil (even for those who believe it's a necessary evil) that it therefore must cause harm but it simply doesn't. When it is legal, safe, and regulated, it is the safest procedure you can undergo. As long as you aren't relying on outdated statistics, the numbers tell the real story far better than anyone ever could.
|

User Profile
replied April 6th, 2007
Experienced User
jenn_smithson wrote:
Kypros wrote:

Not that I'm tarnishing Romania with a bad brush, but I would imagine that medical quality and safety there is not as good as in the UK or the USA, so perhaps that could be another factor.
I didn't give a whole lot of background, my bad, but I wasn't intending to tarnish romania or romanian women either. At one time they had a stupid and brutal dictator who outlawed abortion (which it still occurred, surprise, surprise) and also contraception because he wanted to build up the army and economy and he thought the best way would be to increase the number of people (like I said, stupid). So, for them, abortions were a lot easier to access than birth control because it was absolutely being controlled by the government and abortions could be excused as miscarriages. This dictator also instituted a "pregnancy police," a force of men who investigated claims of pregnancy to ensure that the women did not self-induce (compulsory and monthly pregnancy testing was required for most public jobs). Of course, these draconian measures never did meet his goals for the labor force and economy and as a result the abortion rates (and maternal death rates) skyrocketed. Romanian women, though, began to see an abortion as a right of passage and also a cleansing ritual for their body. Even though the dictator was overthrown and birth control is now widely available, these women still have abortions rates that are four to six times higher than the US and the UK. So, denying birth control does have an affect on the abortion rates!

Parts of russia, too, have high abortion rates because for the longest time that .w.a.s the only birth control they had access to.

Quote:
But I guess what I mean is if a woman who had a very rebellious past had, let's say, six abortions in her younger years and is now ready to have a baby, are the risks high?
No. She should be fine as long as she did not experience a complication with her earlier abortion and as long as the abortions were performed in a safe, sterile location. If she experienced complications earlier (very, very rare), she needs to tell her doctor when she's thinking of becomming pregnant so that they can decide on the best course of action to ensure a healthy, safe pregnancy. Even if she did have a complication, it does not mean that she cannot become pregnant or carry a pregnancy to term. Many women who have multiple abortions are shocked even more when they become pregnant the second time because they, too, had been misled on abortion's safety.

The chances really are nil until she nears 20 or more abortions.

Quote:
I wouldn't have thought so and I hate the way abortions are portrayed to the public as unsafe, life-threatening operation which can "mess up your insides". I do believe some people would be very surprised to know that birth is more health-provoking.
People are surprised when I tell them that labor and delivery are 11 times more dangerous than obtaining an abortion and that the chance of infertility following delivery is much, much more than the chance of infertility because of an abortion. They think that because they believe abortion is evil (even for those who believe it's a necessary evil) that it therefore must cause harm but it simply doesn't. When it is legal, safe, and regulated, it is the safest procedure you can undergo. As long as you aren't relying on outdated statistics, the numbers tell the real story far better than anyone ever could.

Pretty much what I thought before, just needed to have it confirmed. I really do hate the pro-life propaganda which is so frequently spread to women. I am pretty familiar with sky-high abortion numbers in the former Soviet Union and read an account of an expatriate in Armenia who spoke to elderly ladies who had had twenty termintions in the past.

Welcome to dictatorship.

And if I am not mistaken, the infections that can be caught after any end of a pregnancy (abortion, miscarriage, birth) are are only 1% and can be treated right away with safety and effect.

Kypros.
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
needhelphere wrote:
YOU HAD MANY ABORTIONS? WHY PLAY GOD THIS TIME? IF YOU DONT GET PREGNANT, AND WANT TO BE. BLAME YOURSELF. SORRY IF IM RUDE, BUT IS THIS A GAME, WHICH BABY LIVES? THIS IS THE SADDEST THING I READ.....

MANY???

Because its her choice as to when gestation is right for her. Hers alone. Now it is right for her, before it wasn't. Its that simple.
|

replied May 9th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
meblonde01 wrote:
needhelphere wrote:
you had many abortions? Why play god this time? If you dont get pregnant, and want to be. Blame yourself. Sorry if im rude, but is this a game, which baby lives? This is the saddest thing I read.....

I agree. Why abort so many times. Because it is her choice? Are there not any other choices? What about the baby's choice. What about adoption? I don't understand how a person can just keep killing babies? Because it is her choice seems like a cope out ot me and pretty sad.Sad

Meblonde01, you are not allowed to post in the pro-choice forum... I think this topic got moved here for some reason so if you didn't post when it was in this forum then I apoligize.
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
It's interesting to me that approximately 1 in 3 women in the us who give birth will do so via cesarean section (thanks for medicalizing birth...stupid docotrs). There are many states in this country that won't even let you attempt a vaginal birth after a c-section has been performed because of the significant stress and impact a c-section has on a woman's body. Abortion, since it is done vaginally, has a much smaller impact on a woman's body than does a cesarean delivery. I imagine that an abortion would not have any more impact than a spontaneous vaginal delivery. Having many of those (say 10 or more) can have an impact on the body. So it would seem to me that having an abortion would have no greater physical effect on a woman than would a spontaneous delivery, except for the fact that carrying a baby to term can have negative, long-lasting impacts as well.
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2007
Experienced User
meblonde01 wrote:
Why abort so many times. Because it is her choice?

Yes.

meblonde01 wrote:
Are there not any other choices?

Yes, there are. It doesn't mean that a woman has to change her choice, though.

meblonde01 wrote:
What about the baby's choice.

There is no baby, but the parasitic foetus has no rights.

meblonde01 wrote:
What about adoption?

Yeah, what about it? It is available, and if she does not want to opt for it, she does not have to.

meblonde01 wrote:
I don't understand how a person can just keep killing babies? Because it is her choice seems like a cope out ot me and pretty sad.Sad

She is not killing babies, she is having abortions. Why do you not ask someone who has had multiple abortions and see what they say? Ask our very own Cari.

Kypros (PS. you can't post here as your pro-life chummies were quick to inform me when I posted in your forum).
|

replied May 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I wish I could post on the pro-life forum to tell pro-choicers not to post there, but the one time I did it, the pro-lifers bitched at me for whatever reason, so oh well.
|

replied May 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I did not feel like having 3 babies, so I had 3 abortions.

Pregnancy is a healthcare decision, pregnancy chnages a womans body and health status, and I chose not to have my health or body change.
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2007
Experienced User
Carifairy wrote:
I did not feel like having 3 babies, so I had 3 abortions.

Pregnancy is a healthcare decision, pregnancy chnages a womans body and health status, and I chose not to have my health or body change.

Actually, out of my pure curiosity, how did your husband feel about your terminations (assuming that he was the second founder of all your pregnancies)?
|

replied May 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, my husband was the man that I slept with, and in turn became pregnant from.

First and foremost, I would never date a man that had children, or one that wishes to have children in the future, which makes things easier in the long run.

Communication is key. I would never date a pro life man, or a man that wants children, so it was never of an issue.

This is why so many women and men get into trouble, because they do not find people with similar views in life.

My husband was 100% okay with my abortions. It was never a question of 'if' I would have an abortion, but 'when'.

I discuss these issues before I even had sex with him.
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2007
Experienced User
Carifairy wrote:
Yes, my husband was the man that I slept with, and in turn became pregnant from.

First and foremost, I would never date a man that had children, or one that wishes to have children in the future, which makes things easier in the long run.

Communication is key. I would never date a pro life man, or a man that wants children, so it was never of an issue.

This is why so many women and men get into trouble, because they do not find people with similar views in life.

My husband was 100% okay with my abortions. It was never a question of 'if' I would have an abortion, but 'when'.

I discuss these issues before I even had sex with him.

These are all good; it's nice to see such a level-headed woman willing to wait, if you like, for that person to come along. SOrry to hear about your father, by the way. I read another thread you posted. I hope you and your family will overcome this.

Kypros.
|

replied February 14th, 2009
my story
I have had five abortions,all successful and uncomplicated, the last occurred 6 years ago. I am now 13 weeks pregnant and SCARED TO DEATH something will happen and I won't be able to carry to term.

How can someone kill 5 of their own babies? I don't have an answer for that... I feel awful that it happened. I love children and even at the time the abortions happened wanted children. IT SIMPLY WAS NOT THE RIGHT TIME!!!

I hate that it happened and I feel guilt on a daily basis, however, I do not regret having them, I only regret having to have them. I do believe I deserve to have children and will be a great mother. I just hope and pray that the life I carry inside me now, created in love with the man I will marry is able to come into the world and grow into a wonderful person with my guidance.

Abortion is not an easy decision and I don't understand how the pro-choice people can spew such hate and call themselves good Christians at the same time
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2009
Experienced User
Re: my story
hellonasty wrote:
Abortion is not an easy decision and I don't understand how the pro-choice people can spew such hate and call themselves good Christians at the same time

Who spewed hate? Can you be a bit more specific?
|

replied February 15th, 2009
Who spewed hate? Can you be a bit more specific?
needhelphere wrote:
You had many abortions? why play god this time? if you dont get pregnant, and want to be. blame yourself. sorry if im rude, but is this a game, which baby lives? this is the saddest thing i read.....

many???

The all caps kind of gives it away that this person is very angry! that is just a post on here, i was talking more in general about the fanatical anti-abortionist that spew their hate on a daily basis to anyone that will listen. the type of people that stand outside of abortion clinics, with signs that have pictures of aborted fetuses on them and yell and scream "murderer" at the people who enter the clinic. they are sending out a message of hate and don't seem to give a crap that all day long small children, are passing by in cars being subjected to these images. they "love" children sooooo much, yet don't care that they expose little kids to images of dead babies.
|

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2009
Experienced User
Oh, I guess I'm confused. You wrote " I don't understand how the pro-choice people can spew such hate". I guess you meant pro-life not pro-choice, right?

If so, I agree with you completely.
|
12 >>