Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Running After a Hysterectomy

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
I am an avid runner and am wondering how long I should wait before I start to run again. It has been 10 weeks since my surgery (total abdominal hysterectomy). Any experience with this is greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper runner31
|

User Profile
replied March 28th, 2007
Community Volunteer
wait at least 12 weeks before starting gentle exercise.

many women who start too early experience adhesions.
you only get onechance to heal from this properly. Have patience - I know how hard it is.
start gradual and slowly build up.

if you get pains, cramping or any other discomfort - slow down and reduce what you are doing for a week or so then build back up slower.
|

replied October 26th, 2009
Running after a total vaginal hysterectomy
I had a total vaginal hysterectomy & bladder sling & reconstuction 6 wks ago and want to get back to running, any helpful advice? My dr said I can go back to everything was doing before.
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Do what your body tells you to do...I don't agree with going this fast, but then I am not the doctor...You don't want to loosen anything up that is healing...These are just my thoughts...Good luck...

Caroline
|

replied February 22nd, 2011
Running after hysterectomy
I had a LAVH 3 weeks ago. My doctors told me that I could run in 6 weeks. I am sticking to that advice, but I am exercising daily. I have done the elliptical, yoga, TurboJam, and walked. 18 days post-op I walked 5 miles. I felt great while I was walking, but was tired and a little sore the next day. Rested that day, and then did yoga and the elliptical the next. I am meeting with my doctor next week to see if at 6 weeks I can train for a half marathon that is about 12 weeks after my surgery. I realize that I will likely have to walk some, but would really like to try it. I feel much better when I exercise, and I strongly feel that being in good shape has aided in a quicker-than-usual recovery. The best advice my doctor gave me was if it hurts, don't do it.
|

replied March 27th, 2011
post op running
After 3 months post op, I started my training for a half marathon I have run for the last 2 years. Was active before surgery so I assumed I could get into my running by 3 months. I was very disappointed to find that running brought major cramping. Called and spoke to gyn nurse who said it could take closer to six months and that I had done too much too soon. I am going on 4 months post op and still have no energy and now feeling the "blues" since I am not able to run. Everything I have seen online says you should be able to run after 8 weeks. Just be careful and listen to your body. I would say 12 weeks post op is too soon. My running has set me back to how I felt at 3 weeks after surgery. I would just suggest you take it slowly.
|

replied April 22nd, 2011
i also did to much to fast and now have been living with discomforting pain with no support it has been four months and im even starting to notice hormone craziness ,sharp pains,sleeping problems and cant figure it out they left one ovary so it would be easier on me since im only 38 years old .All we could do is hope and pray that our bodies will heel internally and we will go back to having normal lives
|

replied December 31st, 2011
Running after hysterectomy
Just pay attention to how you feel. I am also addicted to running, but don't want to overdo it. I had my surgery exactly 2 weeks ago and feel amazing (had everything taken out because I had endometriosis). I'm 40 and typically run half marathons, but haven't sunce all of the pain i had (6 months of fighting it). My doctor let me go downhill skiing. I went yesterday and felt great, but I slept 12 hrs to recover. So, that's a major wake up call that although you may feel up to it, your body is still healing. I will take it easy from now on and ease into it.
Good luck to you all.
|

replied February 17th, 2014
I had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy and even though I feel good I know that my recovery time is in progress. I'm on day 19 and even though I want to jog on my treadmill, I'm not stupid. Been a nurse I've seen what intense exercising can do because the inside is not completely healed. I started walking about a week after surgery slowly and increase my time but I know that if I over do it, I can experience adhesions and God knows one surgery is enough for me. I will begin bike riding this week but to me that's a low intensity workout. I must say that I miss working out in the gym but I can wait until,cleared by my doctor. My advice to all women out there, take care of you, love you now and don't rush to get out there. Activity will come in due time.
|