Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Hypoglycemia and bedtime snacks/eating

User Profile
i have a question about sugar and sleep. i don't follow a hypoglycemic diet, but i do try to eat a good breakfast, lunch, and dinner. here's where the trouble begins. every night, about 4 or 5 hours after i go to sleep, i wake-up very, very hungry. there are only a few things that i want when i wake-up. something sweet and with lots of carbs + a glass of milk, or a large bowl of cereal. usually i will eat a bowl of cereal (or two - i could eat the whole box). sugared cereal is preferred, but something like chex will work if i add sugar. i will scarf down a bowl of cereal like i haven't eaten in days. then i go back to bed and sleep like a baby. and when i awake - i feel like i've been hit by an 18-wheeler. i feel groggy, like i can't wake up, slow, tired, and anxious. i still feel like i am half asleep. i deal with anxiety and feelings of being overwhelmed for the rest of the day. how much could this be contributing to my groggy feeling and feelings of anxiety and overwhelmed. thanks!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 12th, 2007
Hypoglycemia Answer A2549
According to the data you provided about your weight, height, sex and age it seems that you are overweight. The night sweet meals can only contribute to obesity. You'll need to provide data about blood sugar levels to confirm the hypoglycemia you’ve mentioned. An increased nighttime appetite and a groggy feeling when waking up can both be due to the anxious-depressive disorder you mention as a pre-existing condition.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hypoglycemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.