Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Labor and Delivery Forum

Vaginal Hematoma (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
hi....

has any1 else experienced a vaginal hematoma?

i had some soreness in the perineum area....nurse checked it and said it was a hematoma...a bruise cause by labour

i had my baby 5 months ago but the hematoma hasnt gone...although it has reduced in size considerably...it doesnt feel like its gettin smaller at this point.

i wanted to knw if any1 has had a hematoma and how long did it take for theres to disssapear complettly.

thanx
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper aug23
|

replied March 22nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
when did you last have this checked out? i would make an appointment and have it check out by a doctor. I tried to google it but my findings were inconclusive.

i am sorry i couldn't be of anymore help, all i can say is get it checked out by your doctor and see what they say.
|

replied December 16th, 2011
I'm glad but very sad I'm not the only one dealing with this issue. I developed a hematoma immediately after delivery! It was the worst pain I have ever felt. It occurred 2 weeks ago with my first child and 26.5 hours of labor! The pain was so intense I could not enjoy the first few days of the joys in being ab1st time mom. It took the docs a few hours to determine it was a hematoma and did not want to drain it in fear of me losing more blood. The pain and discomfort was out of this world! More complications arose due to the hematoma. It was so large it cut off blood flow to my tares which caused an infection! I had to go into the OR to have the dead skin removed, be washed out thoroughly and my hematoma had to be packed because it had burst!! I was in the hospital for a week! What topped it all off was that I asked that it be looked at one more time before I left. They thought I was getting better and was discharging me. I had to be readmitted! Hematomas are no joke and I'm sorry for all those experiencing it! I'm slowly recovering but become frustrated with all the pain and soreness. I can't wait to feel normal again and feel less alone with you ladies talking about your experiences!! Thank you! And speedy recovery to everyone!
|

replied February 16th, 2012
Vaginal hematoma twice!
I agree it was no joke. I had hematoma twice with my first child and fourth child. Recovery was faster after second ones cuz I knew i had it right after my fourth child was born.so I told dr to check on it as soon as I went to the operation room to have my tubes tied up. Good enough, I did so I recovered quicker than first ones.

After I gave a birth to my daughter, I felt pressure on my anus. They explained it was normal due to vaginal delivery. I had slightly fever at 99.0 but they thought it was due to my breast milk coming out. So they released me home then the next day, I couldn't urinate and it was so painful so my hubby had to call dr. I was readmitted after dr checked it in his office. After it was removed, I got healed and released me only to find I had infection that I had to be readmitted for the second to treat infection. The total of hospital stay after birth was seven days... And it was in 1975. Dr told me it was so rare.... 1 to 100,000. Got it twice was one to million....

Second hematoma was in 1981. Why I got them remains unknown.... I have four children... First ones weighted 7 lbs 12, second was 10 lbs and 3 oz .. Third was 8 lbs 14. Fourth ..9 lbs 15 oz. Why I got on first and fourth remains mystery. At that time, there was sooooo little information.

I couldn't take my baby with me. It was horrible to be without my baby!!!!!
|

replied March 23rd, 2007
ur right, im definetly gonna get the earliest appointment 2get it checked out,

thank u for the reply.
|

replied November 27th, 2011
blood clot/hematoma
my wife just had a baby and there was significant blood loss, they gave her a blood-transfusion. now they say swelling is a hematoma, she goes in for surgery in 30 mins. im a little scared for her but i could just be over reacting. is she gonna be ok?
|

replied September 2nd, 2009
vaginal hematoma
I had a vaginal hematoma during natural childbirth and felt intense rectal pain and pressure after delivery...my nurse checked it and concluded that it was a vaginal hematoma and the ob/gyn came back and drained it and stitched it back up...I had to have a saddle block for the surgery, (after no epidural for the birth) but it stopped the internal bleeding.
|
Users who thank boolove23 for this post: samujaza 

replied November 7th, 2009
i also had one had to go in for a 2 hour surgury get packing which was tooken out a couple days later couldnt walk and am having complications now 6 mnths after
|

replied October 15th, 2011
vaginal hematom and pain
I also had a 2 hr surgery due to the vaginal hematoma, not only immediately after delivery, but a week later due to the hematoma coming back and not healing...it has been 10 weeks and it felt like it was getting better until last night when we had sex for the first time and I was in excrutiating pain after and during. Do you know of anything to help get rid of the pain? I am so frustrated.
|

replied December 18th, 2009
Hematoma
I also had a hematoma after vaginal delivery with my daughter who is now 4 weeks old. I was diagnosed with DVT during my pregnancy and was on clexane injections twice a day. I had my daughter with no complications until around 5 hours after, I was in server pain in my vagina, they didn't waant to do surgery as they were worried I was loose too much blood but in the end they had no choice, my vagina swelled so much I couldn't walk or even close my legs it was awful, They eventually did the operation and have now left me with an open wound where they removed the hematoma. it's still very painful and the wound is very large around 4cm long and 3cm wide. My daughter is 4 weeks old now and i'm still not feeling great, have alot of shooting pains and dicomfort, i am hoping it will heal soon. All i can say is i would never have another baby on the NHS.
|

replied December 21st, 2009
I had a vaginal hematoma after my daughter was born in 2005. It was a natural labor, and the pain of the hematoma directly after labor was MUCH worse than the actual labor! We just found out I'm pregnant again, which is good, but I'm worried that this might happen again. It'll have been 5 years since the last delivery--does anyone know what the likelihood of this happening again is?
|

replied December 29th, 2009
Hi I also suffered a vaginal hematoma after giving birth to my first son. Again i can empaphise with the pain, it was absolutley excrutiating. Much worse than the actual labour. I am now expecting my second child but I am absolutley terrified it will happen again, it was completely the worst experience of my life and I really do not think I could go through it again. The doctor and midwife have told me it is unlikley to happen again but I still am petrified! I requested to have a ceaserian but as tld that has more complications than natural labour. I too would like to know the likliness of this happening again after labour.
|

replied January 26th, 2010
To alexandronnie24 - short answer, I don't know, but here's my experience: I wound up with a vaginal hematoma the size of a melon between my vaginal and rectal wall after the birth of my son in 2007, which ultimately burst the vaginal wall and created major hemorrage and havoc. Like you reported this was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life and it was a good 9-12 months before I was truly back to normal. Now that I'm pregnant with #2 (32 weeks) I was very anxious about the delivery. My ob said the same thing - that vag hematomas are uncommon and therefore unlikely to occur again, something I did not find reassuring. I sought a 2nd opinion with the on-call ob who helped patch me up after the last disaster and he disagreed. In his opinion the factors that might have caused the first problem (in my case, large baby, hi BP, rapid delivery) could reoccur, with the added joys of scar tissue and poorer blood return this time around. He said, sure, a natural labor may be lower risk when you average it over all women, but when the woman has all these prior issues it does (and should) change the assessment of risk. Plus don't forget that scheduled C-sections have much lower risk of complication than emergency c-sections.

I recommend you push your doc to give concrete reasons for (1) why they think your hematoma occured the first time and (2) why they think your risk is so low now, and if their reasons don't convince you, find someone else!
|

replied August 7th, 2012
I truly appreciate your comment. I too suffered from a similar experience! I want more children and am so frightened. I wanted some answers from women before I went to my OB. I was thinking c-section this time because I'm so scared of the hematoma. It's been 8 months since my beautiful son was born and there is still traces of the hematoma! Reading these comments reminds me all over again how traumatic it all was.
|

replied February 17th, 2010
Hi Everyone, I too suffered a vaginal hematoma after having my baby girl in oct 2009.....I ended up having vacuum assisted delivery because my babies heart rate kept decelerating and they had to get her out quick....Anyway, About an hour after i delivered i started getting an intense pain in my backside that just got worse and worse, i will never forget the pain i felt and how long it took the hospital to figure out what was wrong..At first i thought i had severe hemmerroids but the pain just got worse like i said..I ended up going in for emergency surgery finally when my doctor checked me out and I was packed out with gauze afterward........The pain has scarred me for life, and I am scared it will happen to me again when I have another one...My doctor couldnt explain why this happend and she said she had never seen this before, so I guess its a rare occurance....I feel for everyone as you know what it feels like, its horrible......
|

replied April 21st, 2012
Hi sophismom81 - my wife just experienced the same exact thing. I would love to get her in touch with you if you're ok with it. please Email me so we can get you two in touch.
|

replied February 26th, 2010
vaginal Hematoma
Hi,
I had a vaginal Hematoma with my last daughter in Sept 2006,now over 3 years later i still have pain. When my period is due i get pain for approx 3 days. Also i have started running recently and i have started to get pain there again.Does anyone get this?? I assumed that the pain would go but as said it still get it from time to time,i just put up with it but have decided to have a chat with my doctor now,although i think that unfortunately this may be a life long thing.
Laura.
|

replied March 22nd, 2010
I just had my baby 4 days ago and developed a vaginal hematoma. There's definitely a common thread with all the other women - the pain is excructiating! My swelling seems to have reduced but the pain is still there. What I would be interested in knowing is what can be done to ease the pain/swelling and accelerate recovery. I've been alternating between rubbing Preparation H (to reduce swelling) and believe it or not, Orajel (to numb the area) and also using a heat pad and sitz bath. Also, I'm extremely conscious about spritzing vaginal area to keep it clean after every pee. Any other thoughts?
|

replied April 18th, 2010
vaginal hematoma
I had my son in August of 2008. I developed a hematoma during my delivery, and the doctor noticed it right away because there was hardly enough room for my son to come out. My son was 9 pounds 4 ounces which was the cause of my hematoma because I''m small (5 ft 2 in. and 115 pounds.) The surgeon had to come in and stitch me up because I had a full episiotomy, along with the hematoma. I also had a blood transfusion. It was the worst pain I had ever been in. I also had a spinal headache from my epidural. I''m completely healed now, and only have a small amount of pain if I run or stand for a long period of time. My doctors said that I will most likely have to have a c-section for my next child because of the size of my son, I would take a c-section over a hematoma any day!!!!
|

replied May 7th, 2010
I had one aswell after delivering my daughter in 2005. I have also been reassured this would never happen again etc. but it does scare me. It was way more painful than contractions. You guys got that right! My doc decided to leave it and put in a cathader. I got sent home with a cathader for about a week. In that time I put ice packs on it and took the homeopathic remedy, ARNICA MONTANA 3x a day. I also dissolved this in water and squirted it on the area. A week later, my doctor removed all of the dried blood that looked like goo inside and the cathader. I went home a new women. At my 6 week it was completely healed. No one in the hospital had seen this and everyone was so curious to see a grapefruit sized hematoma down there. It was the worst experience of my life and because of the morphine I was on for the pain right after the birth, I believe was responsible for my daughter not latching on correctly which had me pumping for a year. I do pray for a better experience this time. I finally feel ready to try and conceive again, after 5 years. Geez, at least you all understand. I felt like a freak until finding this thread. God bless you all!
|

replied May 9th, 2010
Hi
i too had one, and am so glad I found this thread as im now expecting my 2nd in a few weeks and am very scared. I had the same - lovely birth, AWFUL Hematoma which wasn''t diagnosed for 5 hours because i was in a sodding birthing centre. The most pain EVER. I had to be transferred to the nearest hospital (1 hour away) with no pain relief or catheter, and my Partner had to take our new born daughter in the car because they wouldn''t take her in the ambulance. I had emergancy surgery and was padded full of surgical wadding. I believe that this was the main factor leading to my PND.

anyway I pooping yself about this birth as they say he''s a big baby (my daughter was only 7lbs), and they won''t give me any clues as to what they want for the birth.

They said it was quite rare too, but I wish they had forewarned us in the classes that this COULD happen, as I had no idea
|

replied May 9th, 2010
Hi
i too had one, and am so glad I found this thread as im now expecting my 2nd in a few weeks and am very scared. I had the same - lovely birth, AWFUL Hematoma which wasn''t diagnosed for 5 hours because i was in a sodding birthing centre. The most pain EVER. I had to be transferred to the nearest hospital (1 hour away) with no pain relief or catheter, and my Partner had to take our new born daughter in the car because they wouldn''t take her in the ambulance. I had emergancy surgery and was padded full of surgical wadding. I believe that this was the main factor leading to my PND.

anyway I pooping yself about this birth as they say he''s a big baby (my daughter was only 7lbs), and they won''t give me any clues as to what they want for the birth.

They said it was quite rare too, but I wish they had forewarned us in the classes that this COULD happen, as I had no idea
|

replied May 9th, 2010
jennyjane...

Please let us know how everything goes. God Bless!
|

replied May 10th, 2010
My vaginal hematoma left me dealing with issues 15 years later
My second daughter ''came through the pike'' really quickly, the doctor said, and I developed a gigantic hematoma. If the nurse had not come in when she did, she said I may have bled to death, because I was so exhausted after childbirth that I fell asleep right away despite the feeling that I still had something pretty major inside of me that needed to be removed. My doctor was a jerk because it was the middle of the night and he said I should have gone to the hospital earlier than I did but when I called and told them about my contractions they said I could probably wait a bit before coming! Anyway, they immediately wheeled me into surgery to deal with the hematoma. I don''t know if they drugged me or not but I have absolutely no recollection of the surgery and nobody can tell me what happened. It is a haunting mystery in my life to this day - 15 years later - that I lament over and am still curious. I am convinced that something they did to me in the wee hours of the morning in which I had my beautiful little girl lacerated my stomach muscles and stretched my abdominal wall considerably. Today I am left with a major paunch and fullness that will not respond to any kind of exercise, no matter how rigorous. I developed irritable bowel syndrome and other stomach issues shortly after childbirth. I do not know what they did to me in that operating room, but when I hear you all talk about the ''packing of gauze'' - I can only imagine that this packing is what stretched my muscles beyond their limits and ruined my chances for ever having my figure back, or ever feeling 100 per cent again. If anyone else had had a similar experience, I would love to hear about it.
|

replied May 10th, 2010
God that''s much worse than i experienced, but yes, they did ''pack'' me full of Gauze. When they took it out it was like a circus act, I couldn''t believe it kept on coming!

ave any of you experienced Birth after a Hematoma? I was just wondering If you tink I should talk about having a secton???
|

replied May 10th, 2010
i had a similar experience too, i had to deliver very quickly because of cord being wrapped around babys neck twice and body a leg, had to really go for it as this was causing her to travel back up!, had eppesiotomy but ended up tearing badly high inside and they couldnt reach properly to stitch sufficiently. hematoma formed in moments after pain was terrible, worse than giving birth, thank god i had had an eppidural, although having only worked down one side im sure it would have been more terrible.luckily my midwife was a star and listened to me. had emergency surgery and lost three pints of blood they said it was size of a tennis ball. but i have to say the midwifes and doctors were great and did the best they could. my little one was born healthy because they acted quickly and they did the best they could for me. it was very very scary and awful to be dragged away from my new born so soon and because my spinal did not work fully down one side. but im healing well so far its been a week. i was reasured by alot of the docs and midwifes that childbirth in the future would not pose a problem and things could quite easily run much smoother. the packing was like a neverending ribon which seemed to go on forever and that was painful to have removed. im hoping all will be ok in the downstairs department but i will have to wait and see. i agree that it would have been nice to be warned that things like this can happen. i felt very guilty afterwards that i had done something to cause all these problems, as i had planned such a natural birth and had a great pregnancy to think that i had thought about home births and birthing centers, it goes to show that even if your pregnancy is faultless the birth doesnt always go to plan.
|