Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Frantic Dream Where I Can't Wake Up... (Page 1)

I have been having this recurring dream now over the past few months. I don't think it's a nightmare but my heart is usually excited and I feel stressed whenever I finally get myself to awaken. The dream has almost always taken place with me in my bed waking up but I am still in the dream. Everything feels so real. Usually I will notice that everything in the room is normal and I act normal at first. It's the strangest feeling but I try to get up normally and I just won't move. I begin to panic because I cannot get myself up. I frantically try to get up over and over to wake up and it just won't happen. Around this time I will actually become aware that I am dreaming and this causes me to try even harder to awaken. What's even more odd is that I am not completely paralyzed in this dream. At times I will actually feel like I get up to a point (because I am trying so hard to wake up) where I am sitting up on the bed but I will immediately snap back to the position of me back asleep in that dreaded position. There have been a few times where I actually try so hard to get up that I finally get my upper body to sit up and I keep going and fall forward only to immediately end up back on my bed to try again. When I do eventually wake up, my neck hurts because it is my head that I try so hard to lift when this all takes place. I seem to have a mixture of sleep paralysis in my dream while knowing that I am dreaming. So it is also like a Lucid dream. I've looked around and I haven't read anything that is quite the same as my experience so hopefully someone can shed some light here.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Blitzkrieg
|
Users who thank Blitzkrieg for this post: dominique86 

replied September 26th, 2007
Sleep paralysis and Lucid dreaming usually happens together it seems. Sounds like thats what you have. I suffer from the same
|

replied May 7th, 2008
I have had almost the EXACT same experience so many times, i can´t even count any more.
I am always sleeping, i KNOW i am sleeping, and i wake up in my dream. Everything in the room is exactly the same, but I am sure i am still in my dream. Always the same thing happens, I can´t move at all and the fact that i am completely paralyzed in my dream, scares me into frantically trying to wake myself up...it´s scary and annoying at the same time. When i finally do wake up, the same thing happens to me, I just fall back asleep...so it has got to the point where i literally have to force myself to wake up no matter how tired I am, and find something else to occupy my mind for a while. Sometimes this will happen to me several times until i finally have the energy to basically pick myself up out of bed so that it stops happening. It happens the second I fall asleep...almost always. One time, I saw my boyfriend...exactly as he was before leaving that morning. He was right there beside me but he wasnt doing anything, and than he left.
Since this happens to me so frequently, I have come to notice certain patterns...maybe it will help you ?

I have noticed that first off...this almost always happens when I am sleeping in the house completely alone. In fact I can´t remember it happening in a situation where there has been anyone else in the house but me.
Also, it happens a lot if there has been some sort of negativity in my life.
But the biggest thing i have noticed is that it always happens after i wake up for a while and try to fall back asleep. It almost seems as if I am tired but my body is telling me to wake up, which makes sense because it has happened a lot when I over sleep, and than try to go back to sleep again. But I finally force myself to sleep and this happens. I have read a couple articles and one said this can possibly happen to people that take naps, or try to fall asleep sitting down. One article said that your body is trying to create an alarm clock and that is it´s way of waking you...by waking you in your dream?

Anyway, I also read something that said it helps to blink, and occasionally when you do, and open your eyes again you may be completely awake...and it has worked for me almost all the time..it just takes a couple tries to get myself awake.
I hope that helps you a bit because I know it´s really disturbing and incredibly annoying. Good luck with that !
|

replied June 6th, 2011
its always when im alone and always in naps!! I wake up every morning with my husband..then i take a nap right after he leaves and THEN it happens...90% of the time...i always tell myself no naps this time..but i cant help it...but when i want to wake up i cant!! I will try the blinking the next time i take a nap Sad as for now im not gona finish my nap..i hardly woke up lol Wink thanks for the tips
|

replied August 11th, 2011
I know it sucks sooo bad. But most of the time its all in your head! When I got sleep paralysis I used to get this super bad pain in my leg, but I realized it doesn't have to happen if I don't want it to haha.
Before you take a nap say to yourself, "This will not happen to me, I will wake up!" I know it sounds gay and like its not going to work..
But it worked great for me haha!
|

replied September 15th, 2011
This is the exact time it happens to me. It never happens at night, but always after my boyfriend leaves for work and I go back to sleep. This morning was so scary because when I "woke up" in my sleep, I heard a door shutting and couldn't tell if it was in my sleep or real life so it felt very urgent to wake up. Then I felt like someone was tapping the bed so it was even more urgent to wake up. When I finally woke up it took super human strength to open my eyes and then to keep them open was even harder. Finally I took a deep gasp and was completely awake. UGH!
|

User Profile
replied October 13th, 2011
SP
I know that feeling...& it's true it almost never happens 2 me @ night...but always in the morning when I go back to sleep after every one's left for the day. Some times I can feel some one touching me...the 1st time it happened I was totally freaked because I wasn't sure if it was real...& I couln't move or scream...truth be told no matter how many times it happens to me I still get scared & when I finally wake up I have to play a game to get my mind of the exsperience...but if u ever want to talk...
|
Users who thank fallensparrow for this post: genuine82 

replied December 28th, 2011
Exact same thing happened to me plus more, thanks was helpful
|

replied April 24th, 2012
This has been happening to me more and more frequently; almost every night and even when i take a nap at home or fall asleep for a minute at school! (which is especially scary because i think that i would be able to wake up and i'll get in trouble)It always seems so real, and sometimes even depending on where i am my dream will even take place in that room (even at school) and people around me in the dream will try to wake me up but it never works so by that point in the dream i really begin to panic! However, there are rare occasions where i don't experience the paralyzing factor of the dreams, and i'll even think i am so awake and walk around my house in the dream and then realize that i'm still asleep (also in those dreams i am able to scream for someone to wake me up, but in the usual ones i always try to pry myself off my bed as if to get up but it's as if there's fly paper sticking me to the bed). I always awake panicked and exhausted, also when ever i tell a friend or family member they always seem to act as if that don't believe me as if i'm making it up or am insane. So i am so relieved that i am not the only person who suffers from dreams like this.
|

replied October 30th, 2012
exactly the same thing here, your response was helpful
|

replied May 16th, 2008
me too
Im really glad i found this post - it has happened to me a lot lately. I know I'm dreaming but everything is so real - only sometimes in the dream I make myself look at my clock and it always tells the wrong time, so I know I'm still in the dream. I force myself awake and then I think I'm awake but I'm not - I'm still in the dream. And then sometimes I wake up but only for a second- then I'm back in the dream. Over and over again. It is very frustrating and scary as I feel trapped.

I don't know why it happens but I'm glad to find someone else that it happens to.
|

replied May 18th, 2008
This happens to me at least once a week, and it gets worse and worse each time it happens... This morning it happened actually and it lasted forever. I always thought it was sleep paralysis but it's different because it's all just a dream actually, maybe it's another form of sleep paralysis though.

Anywho, I have the same thing. I wake up and look around with my eyes, everything looks like my room and everything feels so real. When I go to get up I feel as if I'm getting up but in all actuallity I am making no progress and quickly get thrown back into my bed. This morning though, mine was slightly different, I actually gained control. I could hear my parents talking in the other room and I started screaming, I could hear myself scream, I screamed and screamed and screamed, I even screamed so much that in the dream I actually vomitted. But no one heard me, it was hopeless. I also gained enough to control to get up and go knock on the wall of my room in hopes that someone would hear me, but yet I couldn't see anything except the ceiling of my room, but it felt as if I was up knocking on the wall.

I have this so often and it's so frightening. I want to find a way to put an end to it cause EVERY time I have it it gets more worse and more intense, to the point that when I wake up I almost never want to fall asleep ever again. =[

If anyone knows if this is a form of sleep paralysis that'd be great to know, cause that's what I refer to it as.
|

replied May 15th, 2011
Wow, okay this just happened to me!! It freaked me out so much I keep screaming and screaming for someone to help me wake up but I guess no one hears me, I feel trapped and I can't get out of bed but I'm aware that I'm in a dream but it's just scary! :\
|

replied August 7th, 2011
I'm glad I found this out, that I'm not the only one to do this. But mine are slightly different. Everytime I have the dream I am seeing this black or white figure that gets closer to me until it is right on me and that is when I finally wake up. In each of the dreams I am in my bed and I know that I'm dreaming and will kick my legs, grab at my husband and scream. Each time my husband will look at me but won't do anything. I have the dream within the dream four times and each time he moves in a different position when he looks at me. The last one I had last night and my son was talking to me in one part. But these dreams always have a figure in it and that is what freaks me out so bad that when it is right on me I finally wake up and I am so scarred I cry and shake. I have no clue what that means but I have it a lot.
|

replied September 7th, 2011
Hi, didnt you have experience with spiritistic things or lucid dreaming or such? Stop it immediatelly. Change the things in your life that may cause this. Ask doctor when you meet them next time.
|

replied September 20th, 2011
i read through most of the posts and your the one who comes the closest to what im going through. I use to have the dreams where i could not wake up, that didnt scare me. But now i feel paralyzed and there is ALWAYS a dark figure standing next to me ITS SO SCARY!! have you found anything thats worked for you? I am really afraid to sleep .
|

replied June 30th, 2012
The dark figure you are referring to sounds similar to the "hag" figure that sufferers of sleep paralysis often experience. They feel or see the presence of an old woman shrouded in darkness by their bed, and they cannot move to do anything to stop it. It is strange to me that this particular visage is so common- perhaps it is derivative of our collective unconscious? At any rate, maybe looking into the old hag experience will help you shed some light on what you are going through.
|

replied January 7th, 2012
!!!
I had the same nightmare as you! It happened twice and both happened while I was alone. The first one was a head above my pillow, the head figure was screaming and hitting my head over and over. It was so scary, I couldn't get up. The second one was just now, its daylight and the head figure was at the door this time, getting closer to me. In my dream, my mom and her friend were in my room chatting, so I started screaming for them to wake me up but they won't and told me to shush. I wanted to get up to my mom but I felt like someones holding on to my hair, 2 hands on both sides of my head. The first one was more scary because it happened in the middle of the night (2-3am) while my parents are at work.

I always thought/know that nightmares happen because the body is unhealthy but I wonder why is there a figure and why can't I get up.
|

replied January 8th, 2012
Dreams
I have these often and I believe some are demonic,especially with figures in them, you must pray. If you do not believe inJesus Christ you better start. I can come out these most of the time by trying to say Jesus. Even though it is hard to say, me just trying to say Jesus helps. It is very spiritual, this happened last night to me after having company withou praying before they came. People can bring all types of spirits to your home. It was so bad I punched my husband in the stomach coming out of it, but I came out quick saying Jesus and gathering up strength instead of panicking.
|

replied March 11th, 2012
This happens to me all the time. I can actually get up or try screaming or some times I will try and kick or pinch my husband so he will wake me up but its all in the dream. Sometimes I can even be having a normal dream and I realize that I'm dreaming so I try to wake up and I'll feel as though I have and then something isn't right about it, then I know I'm dreaming again and try even hearder to awake. Once this happened 5or6 X's in one dream I was so scared I actually thought maybe I was in a coma and that's why I couldn't open my eyes. Ialways wake up terrified and don't wanna go back to sleep at all. Why does this happen?
|

replied March 11th, 2012
This happens to me all the time. I can actually get up or try screaming or some times I will try and kick or pinch my husband so he will wake me up but its all in the dream. Sometimes I can even be having a normal dream and I realize that I'm dreaming so I try to wake up and I'll feel as though I have and then something isn't right about it, then I know I'm dreaming again and try even hearder to awake. Once this happened 5or6 X's in one dream I was so scared I actually thought maybe I was in a coma and that's why I couldn't open my eyes. Ialways wake up terrified and don't wanna go back to sleep at all. Why does this happen?
|

replied June 20th, 2012
hey my name is nick iexperiance what u are talk n about but i experiance much much more feelings ansd real knowledgr of this sleep prob,i call it haveing a episode when i try to wake my brain is fully fuctional i can think cleary hear noise fight my ass off to barely open my eyes but constantly get slammed back to bed i can feel my heart raceing away and i also feel my self not breathing so yhe whole time im trying to wake i keep makeing myself take a breath and yes when i awake i will not go back to sleep for hours i think this is sone type respertory problem and u r fightying to stay alive possibley close to die n in ur sleep i can try my hardest to movr a body part with all my might and will baerley achieve a inch its so hard but when i finallly snap up i take a massive breath get up and refuse to go bacj to bed if anyone else would like to talk about this please conyacy me i have alot more things i can say about these episodes they are soo scary rite ther is a reason for that fear
|

replied June 7th, 2008
I am so happy i found this. I have had the same thing happening to me since about freshman year in highschool. I am now 21. It still happens every once in a while. I awake in my dream and everything feels and looks so real. Only i can only move my eyes, the rest of my body is paralyzed. I sit there struggling to wake up because my mind tells me i have to wake up because im scared if i just lay there and dont try to force my body to wake up. When i finally do wake up im sweaty and if feels like i just burst out of being held down by something. Ive explained it to family members but nobody "gets it". I didnt know what was wrong and it terrifies me. Sometimes if i go right back to bed it was happen again so i have to do something like walk around before going back to bed. Does anybody know what this is, or what causes it?
|
Users who thank bigdurr3 for this post: IsaacK 

replied July 13th, 2012
Dream where you can't wake up.
Hi, I am a medical student from spam unapproved. I suffer from this and want to do collect some data on it to see if there is a medical reason for it. If anyone sees this, could you send me an anonymous email with your;
age,
sex,
ethnicity,
description of the dream,
how many times you have had the dream and over what period of time,
average number of hours slept per day,
any medications you take,
any medical problems,
if you suffer from fatigue or fatigue syndromes,
any patterns about this you have noticed, reasons you think you have got it.
What you have done that you have noticed that wakes you up.

A bit about my experience

I have had this dream at least 10 times. It occurs sometimes when I am alone, but today, when I was with my family. I on average get 10 hours sleep, but still feel tired all the time. From what I have studied about sleep, dreams occur in a particular phase of sleep called REM sleep, which is a particularly shallow sleep, and EEG studies have showed that it is electrically, the most similar to being awake. There are 4 phases of sleep, phase 1 (light), phase 2 (medium), phase 3 (deep), and REM. As we sleep, we go from phase 1 to 2 to 3 to REM and back to 1 etc. As we sleep longer, we spend less time in phases 1,2 and 3, and more time in REM. Everything I say after this is postulation. I believe that the body is trying to tell itself to wake up, however it needs a stimulus to come out of REM like an alarm or something. I would very much like to be able to find the answer, and help everyone with this scary experience. Your help is needed to do so.
|

replied June 10th, 2008
I don't feel so crazy now knowing that there are other people out there that have also had this horrible experience. I also suffer from this every morning and is has gotten to the point where I don't want to go to sleep because i know it will happen. I find it also happens when I am alone, i try to sit up and open my eyes only to find myself fall back into some sort of paralyzed state where i know im dreaming and its extremely hard to try to wake up, this is when i start to panic and my breathing becomes very heavy I try to talk or moan in hope someone will wake me up. I do think it happens if you are getting to much sleep or if you wake up early and try to go back to sleep, sleeping tablets make it much worse. It is very frustrating when you tell other people about this only to get weird looks because they haven't experienced this.
|

replied June 13th, 2008
almost what happens to me
Ok, At first i was calling it a dream , but its technically not dreaming if i am aware of everything, and its really happening. I will go to sleep, and sometimes if i am extremely tired and fall asleep too fast, i will have this instance occur. I will have this feeling come over me that will wake me in my sleep, only i cant open my eyes or move. The only thing i can do is breath. I can hear everything and everybody around me when i am in this state. It feels like it hurts when i try to move, and i use all the energy i have to try to wake up. Sometimes i have to take a break. I WILL NOT try to fall asleep because i am afraid that i might die in my sleep. I feel like if i give up, it gets darker like i am going down a black hole. I breath as hard as i can to wake myself up that way. Most of my family and friends know whats going on, so if they hear or see me breathing extra hard, they will grab me and start shaking to wake me up. As soon as i hear them talking about it, i breath harder and harder to confirm to wake me up. When i do finally wake up, im so tired and want to fall back to sleep, but if i do immediately, I will just fall back into that same state again. I have to turn on lights, drink water, walk around something to completely wake myself up or it will happen again. Once i completely wake up, i feel like i am in the first stage of trying to go to sleep, and it is not as easy to go back. Im ok with that.
|

replied June 17th, 2008
i needed this site!!
I have been having these types of dreams since elementary school and ive always been scared as hell of them. most of the time when mine occur they are accompanied by some form of ghost like presence. in my "dream" they can talk to me and i can respond. they never touch me but i can never wake up. my body is held and i pray and pray until i am released. this morning something new happened i heard a loud noise and my face felt like it was distorting. obviously i was dreaming this but i am so creeped out...not to mention exhausted.
|

replied June 17th, 2008
OMG I feel bad for you people. We call this "the hag" and i've only had it during times of high fever during bouts of strep throat.

I just couldn't imagine going through that on an ongoing basis Sad
|

replied July 20th, 2008
similar but a bit different
i have read all these comments on this subject written by different people. my experiences are very similar. it always happens when i am really tired and cant wait to go to bed. i always pay attention to the time on my alarm clock before i go to sleep. for what ever reason i sometimes kind of know im gonna have one of these dreams.once i fell asleep at 11:30 and had one of these dreams and i awoke it was only 11:33. so i think it must happen when you are in a really deep sleep. it always seems like an out of body experience to where its like watching a movie of yourself from a birdseye view. the dreams are always of the bedroom i am actually sleeping in. everything will feel normal then something will happen out of the ordinary. and i will notice it like the curtains will start moving when the windows arent open this is the point where i know im in one of these dreams. someone always appears who i know like my dad are someone i love. i know it s not them because they look different and have a blank expression on there faces. this is when the paralasis starts and i cant scream. what ever this evil thing is it knows that i know whats happening and it begins to cause me pain by either strangling me or sticking a knife in me. ive even tried ignoring it and it then seems to hurt me more. when i wake up eventually im in a panic and sweating and scared stiff and actually cant move. and where ever the pain was coming from it will hurt in that area.i am rerally pissed off and dont want to go back to sleep.the next day om really depressed and it takes me a while to get over these dreams. i once had one where i was on an operating table in a spaceship and the aliens were operating on me and they implanted something into my body. they also where holding me down and i was unable to scream and the pain in this dream was the most intense out of any of the dreams i have had. i really wish i didnt have these dreams as they really effect me. i just think why me. i have never met anyone who has experienced this and i am glad im not the only one. i find it hard to talk about these experiences because i dont want to sound insane and if no one i know has experienced it they dont realise how horrible these dreams really are. sorry for the big essay but im glad ive finally got it all written down and off my chest for you all to see and compare it to your experiences.
|

replied July 20th, 2008
dont worry too much about it, as far as i know you do eventually wake up but be glad you dont have the problem i do, i wake up from the dream just to find out i've only managed to wake up into another drream and have had this happen up to 5 times in sucession before finally managing to wake up for real. opiate based pain medication seems to make these sort of experiences occur more often i've noticed and in another thread i had this to say in regards to the similiar subject of sleep paralysis and electrical sounds/feelings while falling asleep

just do some research on sleep paralysis, basicly to sum things up its one of the bodies natural ways to protect itself from acting out dreams. when drifting into the sleep state the brainstem releases a kind of brain chemicle that causes the body to become paralyzed so that if say you slip into a dream where your running around and wake up prematurely you dont go running off a cliff, basicly a way to keep the body from hurting itself. as for the the weird sounds and electircal feelings, those can be attributed to someting called a myoclonic jerk i believe is the phrase, the body thinks its dieing so it sends out electrical impulses to keep itself jumpstarted and everyone goes through these processes but most are unconcious before they ever have a chance to notice them. so in summary
sleep paralyzation is a bodies way to keep itself from harm
hallucinations or visions in this state are literally dreaming while your concious
and the electircal efefcts are the body being too aware that its drifting off into sleep and because of this, is misinterpreting falling asleep as dieing and in turn the body trying to compensate.

this has all been a major area of interest for me for a number of years now and if anyone has any further questions and uses aol or aim, feel free to message me as AshNineFallen and ill be happy to try and clarify anything you may wish to know in regards to the matter

ride the spiral and i hope this info allows you to rest much easier

p.s.
these kind of experiences open up a whole new world in regards to lucid dreaming and if your taking any sort of opiate based pain medication it tends to make these sorts of experiences more noticeable.
and remember, fear is the mindkiller, fearnot and grow
|
Users who thank mindash for this post: Dck 

replied May 29th, 2012
This just happened to me tonight for the first time that I can remember. I kept "waking up" in different places in my house woth different this going on around me. I thought I woke up like 10 different times and I thought I was going crazy, durimg one part I remember rolling around my floor uncontrollably. another I was paralyzed and tried to call my daughter in the room to call someone for me becausei knew even in the dream that something wasnt right. When I finally woke up for real I experienced a little anxiety because I couldnt convince myself that I was truly awake this time. The difference between us is I didn't have any medications to link what happened. I have experienced seizures while sleeping a couple years ago and was kind of curious if I had one tonight. Any thoughts?
|

replied July 27th, 2008
ok I just had a vivd dream, and in this dream I was in a drunken state, or a high state as u could call it, in the dream, so in my dream i was messed up on something, it felt so real, and the weird thing, I also couldnt see in my dream, so my reaction was to wake myself up, and i did, but I fell right back to sleep, and picked up where I left off, and my reaction was to wake myself up again, and it seemed almost impossible, finally I did, and by that time I was in a frantic state, can someone help me and explain what it is that happenend to me?
|

replied August 1st, 2008
Sleep Paraylsis
In my sleep I often have something which is called Sleep paraylsis (or at least thats what i've been told it's called) . In my dreams I am lying in my bed, when I try to wake up I can't. I find myself willing my eyes to open. apparentely I have been told that I make a funny sound when this happens. Eventually, when I manage to open my eyes I feel so relieved. Last night I expereinced something different, this expereince really really scared me. Once again I was lying in my bed, but instead of trying to open my eyes, I felt my breathing gradually getting slower and slower, somethin inside me was telling me that this was the end for me and that I was about to take my last breath, I was actually thinking "my god this time tomorrow I will be dead and inside a coffin". somehing inside me was telling me to fight it and try and wake myself up. (which fortunately this time I did) Has anybody elese expereinced anything like this before?

It scared me so much that I fear going to sleep again.
|

replied February 10th, 2012
I've experienced this before...My heart would be beating normal and then it starts to beat slower and slower and I'm thinking this is it, I'm dying, and I try to reach for my husband to wake him up to alert him and then I hear a long buzz sound...kind of like the one in hospitals on the heart machine when a patients heart stops beating. I realize its a dream, but it SEEMS SO REAL!

I also almost always suffer sleep paralysis when I take a day nap. And I've noticed this happens to me when I'm home alone! It's weird. I would hear my kids talking and walking in and out of my bedroom and I would even respond to their conversations as if I was awake. Sometimes I realise I need to get up, but can't.. My body feels heavy and limp and my eyes are open. I can feel myself moving my arms but I cant see them move...I force myself to twitch alot until I'm finally able to get up...and this only happens when I'm taking a day nap, not at night.
|

replied August 1st, 2008
Experienced User
Hi, I use to suffer from sleep paralysis. I would wake up but my body would not. I could not open my eyes but I can hear and feel everything around me. If the cat walked over me I would feel this too.

I would feel like a presence was in the room with me, and I would be afraid and try to roll off of the bed, but no matter how far I got, when I finally woke up I would find that I didn't actually move at all.

I also would periodically get an electrical shock right up my spine. That happened when I went to the hospital for an EEG, I had to go the whole night without sleep and it happened right on cue during the hospital test. But the nurse didn't shake me out of it.

I would start breathing heavy so that someone would hear me and shake me awake, that is what my boyfriend use to do for me. Shake me awake when my breathing changed.

I think the sleep paralysis is from sleep depervation and ever since I make sure to get at least 8 hours every night like clock work cause I am afraid if I loose sleep I will have one of these incidents happen again.

It has been over 5 years since my last time this has happened (knock on wood) I never did find any thing more out from the doctor as to what else I can do to make sure this does not happen again. But I hope my story helps others.
|

replied August 10th, 2008
I have a similar experience
I also have a similar experience. I also agree that it happens when you're sleep deprived. But I think for me there's another trigger. Sometimes in the day I get tired and think to myself that I'll have a nap. I'll lay in bed but say to myself I don't want to sleep for that long. Then I'll go off to sleep and after a while I will notice I'm asleep. In my dream I open my eyes and I'm lying in my bed. If I reach out and touch something nothing happens. I try rolling myself off the bed, trying to say something but I can't hear or feel anything. On one occasion I thought I was feeling things but it wasn't really the same. On another occasion I could hear people in the hallway but was it my imagination? I don't know. Everything is a dream and although I know dreaming isn't harmful it's different.

Sometimes when I dream I know I'm dreaming and I'm in a fantasy doing something (lucid dreaming) but in this case I want to wake up and I see my bedroom around me. I worry that I will never wake up and logically I know I always have been able to but a small part of me thinks..maybe you won't this time!

I am so glad I don't have the frightening imagery and sounds as other people do. I think this is because I know that everything is still a dream. The real fear for me is not being able to wake up.

In an earlier post someone said it's your body's way of creating an alarm. I think that's true because I do tell myself I don't want to sleep for too long. So I believe my mind is ready before my body if that makes sense.

I've just had one of these dreams now and that's why I decided to google my problem and post an reply. My head hurts a little because I'm not refreshed and did not wake up 'naturally'. I too made sure I didn't go back to sleep because I would slip back into it again. I too try to get my 8 hours but this is not always possible.

When people say it's sleep paralysis I agree, well yes I am paralysed. Yes it's the body's way of keeping my body from harm. But why am I aware of this? Sleep paralysis is one function of my body but my condition doesn't seem to have a name. Lucid dreaming, for me, doesn't fit the bill either because I do lucid dream very occasionally and change the dream and know I'm dreaming but it's within a normal dream and it's almost fun. There's not the feeling of panic that you need to wake yourself up.

I feel like the condition we all have contains elements of the two but is a separate phenomena in itself.

Harley.
|

replied January 20th, 2012
I definitely agree. This happens to me too. I think it's the feeling of confidence in knowing that it's a dream that I don't have these illusions like other people too. Sometimes I can get up and touch stuff, but I know it's a dream because it just doesn't feel the same. It feels almost numb. Sometimes I have a hard time opening my eyes, and a lot of times if my boyfriend is in the room I'll think I'm actually talking to him and sometimes he'll reassure me that everything's okay. It's not that scary for me, but not being able to wake up definitely annoys me. I just can't take waking up over and over only to realize I'm still sleeping.
|

replied August 14th, 2008
sick
A recurring dream or after-dream symptom constantly relate to some flaw in your intestines or nervous system. Modern science cannot establish an accurate mapping between them yet, but it may be worth a visit to a homeopathic doctor for advice.
|

replied September 10th, 2008
it can't be fixed by doctors
ok u need an open mind for this, but this has worked for me. we are body soul and spirit existing in a realm that is both physical and spiritual... and sometimes, when we're asleep or awak we're able to interract with the spirit realm... and it with us. so for instance the guy who was injured in his sleep felt it when he woke up because it really happened... someone/thing attacked him in the spirit and it manifested in the physical.
i know how this sounds but... it's for real. a bit like the matrix.
I recommend a visit to a pastor who can pray with you and intercede for you to get help from God. This stuff is no joke.
|

replied September 16th, 2008
helpless...
its 3:18 in the morning... and i've just had one of these so called dreams.. and this is probably the 5th one.. and I AM SICK OF IT!!! it's getting worse by each dream.. the first couple of them I wasn't scared at all, it had to do with my parents finding out something but i knew i was dreaming and if i repeated i'm dreaming over and over again i'd eventually wake up. but these past two weeks my dreams have gotten way more intense.. i can't even describe them with words.. one dream was soo long i thought maybe it wasn't a dream after all and i really believed i was going to die.
I usually get enough sleep so I don't think its sleep deprivation for me...
I doubt it'll help to have someone else in the room.. my roomate was here today but in the other room

i feel so helpless... i can't think of anything that's going to make this go away.. and i get scared really easily as is. i use to have nightmares as a kid..
i really thought my roomate had come to wake me up.. i saw her sitting next to me but she had my mom's voice.. and i tried reaching out to get her wake me.. but slowly i realized she was part of the dream.. and this overwhelming feeling of helplessness came over me.. i've never felt this way in dreams or real life...

any helpful hints will be more than welcome

i just want my peaceful sleep back..
|

replied September 21st, 2008
Sleep Disorders
I am reading with interest everyone's comments and have attached a link to reading information that makes sense to me. I will recap what I learned at this website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralys is#Awareness_during_sleep_paralysis

Basically, your brain is waking up before your muscles can. You may think you are aware of your surroundings, but after asking my husband (who happened to observe an episode) if I was accurate, it was close because I knew my surroundings before I went to sleep and nothing changed, but I did get a few things wrong. My pets were not in the room as I thought, but I saw them clear as a bell because they're my pets! I never dream anything bizarre and out of the ordinary. Ecverything is realistic. But there does seem to be a sense of panic when I can't get my eyes open quick enough. Once I learned that I am safe and I just need to relax and stay with it, I wake up fine. I think it's important not to panic and to "go with it" because the bottom line is, you could very well have this condition for your life time and it's better to adapt than to panic when you do.
|

replied October 9th, 2011
Sleep paralysis - sleep apnea?
How can you not panic while you are not even aware that you are only dreaming. You are sleeping and try to wake up but nobody see you and your body do not want to work. I find it impossible not to pannic. When I finally wake up after all my "dream attempts" I ensure that I sit up immediately to prevent me from sleeping again. I know that I have very serious sleep apnea of up to 50 times per hour, so maybe that could be part of my problem, because my dream includes some times that I tried so hard to wake up that I suffer to breath in my dream and even dream that I bite my tounge.
|

replied April 26th, 2012
Yea i think i may have sleep apnea too. What it does is cause ur brain to get less oxygen- therefore this causes your brain to hallucinate. Just hearing this helps me i mean it feels so real and i think its a mixture of both hallucination and lucid dreaming. As a matter of fact i think we're able to lucid dream more often because of the apnea. Practice taking deep breaths ( its actually hard to remember to do that when ur paniking lol i still panic sometimes and forget) but i have been experimenting with this experience. Actually i just woke up feom one of these dreams. Before i fell asleep i remember saying "oh no i feel like im gonna have one of those dreams again, i hope i dont!" but once i relaxed while in this state, i felt the weight of my body just dissipate and as soon as that happened i could move my arms but if i forced their movement i could feel my body actually trying to move my paralyzed arms. So i finally gained vision but i couldnt control where i look. But i thought okay if im dreaming, maybe i could fly. As soon as i said that, i went straight up to the ceiling it was like gravity switched to the ceiling and i was standing straight up but sti couldnt break my gaze at the ceiling. Now the fear set in ( natural fear of the unknown) so i said i wanna go back to normal and i go back to laying in the bed. I then thought okay one more time so i try but this time my view switched over to the wall to the left of me across my room. Gravity then switched to that wall. This time as soon as i landed on the wall i blacked out but felt like i was layin down again and now my body's weight was coming back and i could feel myself breathing. I then said okay i really wanna wake up and then kept repeating help me to wake me up( idk who i was talking to) but yea i finally woke up and here i am writing my experience. Lol so i think that this is a little known ability and we should feel excited and tread carefully. I felt safe doing this once i relaxed ( it felt like i was being watched over by whoever i was talking to ( im guessing a higher conciouseness or guardian angel) i mean at the moment im afraid to go back to sleep and im alittle freaked out but im also really excited, im gonna do a little more homework on this and i suggest u do the same. Once i know somn personally i feel more relaxed with it. Hope the best of luck! Lol
|