Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

What causes atrophy of the genitals? DSP?

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
User Profile
I have noticed that over the past couple of years (maybe since the hysterectomy, but as my husband and I don't have a particularly 'active' sex life due to the DSP, I don;t really know when it started). that my clitoris as shrunk in size so much that it is now non-existent. Previously, it was 'normal' - (I think?), I would say around maybe pea size, esp when aroused but now even during arousal it can't be felt. Also, one of the lips of my labia looks as if it's been cut off. Previously, it hung down 'normally' and both were roughly the same size, now one looks a small stump... Could you please give me an idea of what's happening as this is really bothering me - I feel deformed!

I had the hysterectomy back in 2005 to try to level out the hormonal pain in realtion to the DSP. I had everything removed (oopherectomy etc) and I've been on Elleste Solo 2mg ever since.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated as any examination is agony due to my DSP and I'm extremely embarassed.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2007
Hysterectomy Answer A2515
Diastasis of the Symphysis Pubis (DSP) can cause severe pain in the hips, groin and lower abdomen that can radiate down the inner thighs. Pain is increased by walking or through weight bearing activities, particularly lifting one leg (for ex. going upstairs), movement in bed etc. Sexual activities can be also painful during DSP.
It doesn't seem that your uterus and ovaries were removed to treat DSP. DSP is treated with painkillers, physical therapy and surgery (plating the symphysis). Premature lack of estrogen hormones can cause atrophy of the external genitals (clitoris, labia…). You can continue taking the estrogen supplement (Elleste Solo) as prescribed.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hysterectomy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.