Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

Irregular period and contraception

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
vFor a while now I have been having an unusual menstral cycle ..... When I first started menstrating when I was 12 it was like normal 12 yr olds they weren't regular and then during secondry school they started to slow done rather than becoming regular. I wasnt eating and verging on anorexia and my periods where every 2nd month and then around the age of 17 on wards they slowed down to twice a year how ever I was putting on a alot of weight to recover from years of not eating I am now 21 and I have been trying to figure out an other way of contreception rather than condoms as they reduce the pleasure of sex what can i do

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2007
Fertility Answer A2508
If the menstrual cycles last longer than 35 days (in other words, if your period occur once every 35 days or more), the condition is called "oligomenorrhea", or rare periods. Oligomenorrhea is a sign of hypogonadism. In more extreme cases, lack of a period for more than 3 months is called "amenorrhea". Amenorrhea is one of the signs of anorexia nervosa. Anorexia nervosa is considered a psychosomatic disorder.
You may consult a gynecologist inquire about best solutions for birth control. In cases like yours, contraceptive pills are usually given to normalize the menstrual cycle rather than to be used strictly for contraception.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.