Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

Birth Control Other Than Condoms?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
for a while now i have been having an unusual menstral cycle ..... when i first started menstrating when i was 12 it was like normal 12 yr olds they weren't regular and then during secondry school they started to slow done rather than becoming regular. i wasnt eating and verging on anorexia and my periods where every 2nd month and then around the age of 17 on wards they slowed down to twice a year how ever i was putting on a alot of weight to recover from years of not eating i am now 21 and i have been trying to figure out an other way of contreception rather than condoms can any onne help? Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
You have many options for birth control. Condoms and spermicide are easy to get. They are both available over the counter. Spermicide is not as effect as condoms are, however.

There are many other options that your doctor would be able to discuss with you, the most common one being the pill. Your doctor would talk to you about all of your options and which ones are possibilities for you. There are side effects associated with the pill and other hormonal birth control, so you and your doctor would have to decide which method is right and safe for you.

Make an appointment with an ob-gyn to talk about this kind of stuff. If you do not have a regular ob-gyn, you can always go to Family Planning or Planned Parenthood. Make sure you doctor explains everything. Don't let him or her rush you in and out. If you don't feel like you understand what the doctor wants to give you, don't be afraid to say no and either ask more questions or see someone else.
|

replied March 25th, 2007
I Sorta Had the Same Problem...
I too had irregualr periods...but i was a later bloomer, i was 15 when i first got my period, everything went okay...so i thought, i remember having my period a month straight, and very heavy! i had to miss school just because of it...i went to see my doctor and he put me on BC, didnt really help, the kind he put me on was way too strong, gave me migranes! plus it wasnt helping the problem, so i got off of it. i remember the one summer i didnt go without a period, then boom out of the blue i had my period, but for a month straight!! this was really getting on my nerves...so i went to see my doctor, i told him my problem is still reoccuring, and to put me back on the pill..well he put me on Alesse! and let me tell you, its the best kind! i found at first my periods were exactly a week long, but i would only get them once a month, as a couple of years past, i found that my periods were just last like 4-5 days, and my periods were light! I wasn't complaining! so i think you should make an apointment to see your doctor, tell him someone had suggested alesse!
|

replied March 25th, 2007
Insightful....
hmm well at least im not the only on out there ..... i have made an oppointment for this week to see the doctor lol i hope it goes well

thank you for all you help
|