Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Can Pregnancy Cause Hernias?

User Profile
Did anyone ever get one while pregnant? My dr with my gallstones said i have a whole in my abdomen and i asked what it was he said a hernia, I dont know of any other time i could have gotten one besides possibly when pregnant and picking up my son. He said i coulda had it all my life or just got it. I was just wondering if there was a possibility it occured when i was pregnant since thats the only time i can think that i might have been overly strenous.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Community Volunteer
it's possible but a lot of people have hernia's and don't know it.

it's just a hole in the muscle wall that can be tiny and unnoticeable or can be really big and can trap part of the gut or bowel and require surgury.
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Oh i c, i just i dunno, i think where it is is around my belly button. I dont even know how the dr found it. I would have thought like if i had it way before my last dr woulda noticed it maybe. I just thought maybe being pregnanct soo close together with the 2 then lifting a toddler etc might have caused it, i wasnt qutie so active when i was pregnant with joseph as i was with jordynne. And most of hers i had pelvic pain and back pain.
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
My 2nd pregnancy just seemed alot worse, i was reading online somewhere the risk of getting gallstones is greater with 2 or more kids, I developed them while i was pregnant with #2.
Hernias dont hurt?
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Community Volunteer
*some* hernia's don't but *some* sure do.

I think the most common one is an umbicial hernia - to do with the umbicial cord/navel area.

umm I don't know too much about it to be honest.
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
They cant tell on a newborn when they are born or something if they have an umbilical hernia?
I think my brother had one at birth, but im not sure how they figured it out. My mom told me about it. I just know it was an umbilical one. i would think you could see it by ultrasound or something.
I thought too umbilical hernias were really common.
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Community Volunteer
I think they can tell on a new born.

it's like something bulging out I think, next to the belly button.
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
thats what i thought, so i figured if my brother had one they woulda noticed that i did, if i had it since birth, but somehow i think pregnancy did me over. Everything that could go wrong did for me the 2nd time around. Im just glad the gallstone pain waited to get worse until after she was born. Being pregnant with pain that bad was scary, but it occured about 3 times. thankfully. I feel like ive fallen apart healthwise since i was pregnant with her, It probably woulda been better healthwise to wait longer then 8 mths between kids but everyone was saying how it can take a yr or longer to conceive your 2nd child. but yeah i somehow think the pregnancy is what did it.
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Supporter
my dads had ahernia 3 times once on his left side 2 times on his right. my grandma had it on her right side also. so im thinking they're normally on the sides, did he say exactly where yours is
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
he never did but everytime he talked about it he kept pokin my in my belly button , and it hurts when u poke my belly button, even when i popped out when i was pregant and it like popped out all the way if u poked it it hurt real bad. so i dunno. confuses me.
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Supporter
that must suck. does it bother you tons? if it does i would ask for surgery if i was u. my dad said its not that bad, but i unno it could b differnt in differnt places
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
the dr said he is gonna fix it when i have my gallbladder removed. since they go in the same area its in. still bugs me how it got there, or if it is even a hernia, when i had my post partum with my son the dr told me that my abdomen muscles were seperated but doing crunches would help bring them closer. so eh i dunno im confused. The reason i dont want any more kids , i think a 3rd pregnnacy would kill me lol. im scred right now that my gallbladder will become inflamed wich can be life threatening and i could die and my husbands in the field for 3 weeks. I never had gallstone problems until i was 20 wks pregnant with jordynne. So i know pregnancy caused that with the horomones.
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Supporter
oh yea, my mom has gallstone but i guess they dont care too much right now... are u scedualed for surgery then?
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
april 5th i am. hubby wanted to wait until the 15th but the dr doesnt want it to get inflamed. but im scared cuz the pain was 5 hrs last night and was to the point of puking and now is tender in that area. but jason said if the pain got worse theyd let him come home. im afraid because it becoming inflamed is life threatening. BUt eh it sucks sooo much but i guess its worth it, i got my lil girl. shes the one that caused me all the problems while i was pregnant lol.
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Supporter
awe poor girl, maybe go get it looked at to make sure theyre not inflamed? im sure if they are getting inflamed they'd do surgery way sooner
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
it would be way sooner if it were inflamed, i have been trying to look up symptoms btu inflamed and just stones have similar symptoms so i sit here home alone with 2 kids freaking out that i could like drop dead or something. i just hate that my husbands away, if he were here we probably would have went to the ER last night.
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Kia wrote:
I think they can tell on a new born.

it's like something bulging out I think, next to the belly button.

yeah, its easy to tell with a baby, when they cry it pops out and when they try to poop it does too, and babys usualy are naked a lot and people kep such a close eye on them that its so easy to tell, plus the fact that their belly button is still usualy out not in like adults

and dont feel too bad tink (sorry, i know your name is either diana or diane but not sure which) im pretty sure i have one too, i just recently noticed it, like when i poo my belly button pretty much becomes an outie but when in not its deffinantly an innie, so yeah, i hope its normal lol

~alicia~
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i never really noticed or thought i had a hernia, the dr just brought up i had one , when he was giving me an ultrasound for my gallbladder. I just wondered if pregnancy had caused it possibly, i think maybe i woulda noticed or adr would have before him if i always had it but i dunno.
|