Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

Amnio-centisis (sp?)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Hi everyone. Im wondering how many of u know alot about amnio's? Most of u may have read, but I am just over 17 weeks pregnant and my test results on the aplha protein test came back 'abnormal' or low so it puts me at 'high risk' for down syndrome. Anyhow I was really scared at first but I am getting a little better about it now. So many people have had that result and had healthy children. He said outta 400 'abnormal' test results, only 1 was down syndrome. Also my sis works w/ 3 women who all had bad results and they had healthy children. So I am thinking its pretty unlikely for the baby to have it. He said the ultrasound shows a healthy baby so far. But anyhow, now to get my ultasounds tho, sense it was abnormal I have to go to a special place like an hour away where they can do heart ultrasounds. My doctor reccomended doin the amnio (where the long needle goes in to draw fluid from the sac) he said this way he will know if it has it or not and be more prepared...But my moms friend had a miscarriage from the amnio and the doctor said its unlikey, but it is possible, however your body responds to the test. So I believe ive decided against getting the amnio but im just wondering what u all think. If it did have down syndrome the doc couldnt fix it anyhow... Thx
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 15th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I would not get the amnio...Why? The risks outweigh the benefits...U would put urself all the way through that and not be able to do anything and have a risk of havving a miscarriage...I wouldnt do it girl! Good descision!!!
Jordan andjaydyn
|

Extremely eHealthy
I agree with pregnajordan... Too many ricks involved and right now, u dont want to risk anything for ur baby.. Like they can prolly tell if anything is wrong by doing that but so many things could go wrong just cuz of it. I think ud be better without it... Too many risks involved

shauna
|

Extremely eHealthy
I agree with jordan, I was offered, but I said no because I just would learn to love my baby anyway, and I dont think that it really matters. Granted you could prepare maybe take some classes but I didnt. And I didnt get the test done. I would love sean anyway!!
|

Active User, very eHealthy
The only reason I could think of for having the amio is if I would consider not having the child, but I don't think I could do that. My baby is mine regarless of he or she might have. It would have to be something that I choose to deal with. So if you have doubts about having a baby with down syndrome, have it done. But if it doens't matter don't chance it. But in all due reality alot of people get the amio done. It doesn't mean that anything is going to happen, it just means that there is a chance. Like with the epideral, theres a chance that you could become paralized, yet women choose to have one every day during labor.

Brenda
|

Experienced User
Hey
My tesy came up low too...I would recommend getting the u/s done first and than if something is wrong than do the amnio. Most of the time when the test comes up low nothing is wrong! So don't freak! I did at first than my aunt who's a nurse said there's a low chance! So good luck
|

I had the same thing happen to me, I had low results and was "at high risk" for having a downs baby. But when I had my ultrasound before the amnio was spose to be done I found out that I was two weeks earlier than they thought so that made me results wrong and it turned out that my numbers were normal for how far along I was. Also, I would really think about having an amnio because of the risks. I mean yeah, its nice to know if you baby has anything wrong, but you cant do anything about it either way. So are the risks that go along with the amnio even worth it? You could lose your baby for gods sake, or you could leave well enough alone and except that your baby could have a birth defect that you have no control over at all. So just think about it and try not to worry so much, the stress isnt good for your baby, or you!!!
|

Experienced User
If it was me I would have it done, but only because im just to practically, if there was anything wrong I would want to prepare myself totally for wot could happen read about stuff, take classes, talk to other parents.

I cant remember who it was but another girl had an amnio done and she is fine I will try and find out her name so u can pm her she told me all about it and just said the doc said to have total bedrest for a few days so ur body could totally heal, there may be a slight increase in the chances of a having a miscarriage but its all a personal choice.

From someone who cant wait to have a jellybean all of their own
|

User Profile
Advanced Support Team
Personally I wouldn't have one done because no matter what I would keep the baby. Also it would be nice to prepare in a sense, but at the same time I wouldn't want to stress out about it if something was wrong with the baby. That would just be unecesary stress that isn't good for you or the baby.

~sara~
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile