Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Pregnant right after an Abortion?

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
User Profile
I recently had an abortion (February17, 07). I had sex on March 5th. The condome came off inside me. When I took it out, it was empty. I took a pregnancy test on March 7th, it came back positive. Can I get pregnant so soon after having an abortion and do you think the positive test result occured due to the build up of hormones from aborted pregnancy?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2007
Pregnancy Answer A2480
The chances of getting pregnant a few weeks after an abortion are small, but still possible. Even if you’ve conceived, the pregnancy cannot be proven until at least 10 days after conception. The positive pregnancy test is probably due to the hormones (HSG) that remain after the abortion. You can take another pregnancy test in another 2 weeks. If the test is still positive, you could be pregnant.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Medical Abortion , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.