Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

Ankle Pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I have a chronic ankle problem that I've been experiencing for a year or so. I believe it's related to my commute. For 3.5 years I've driven 60 interstate miles to work and 60 back. This has meant my gas pedal foot has held the same position 1 hour to work and 1 hour back.

During this time I wore mostly low-profile, slip-on shoes--no support for my ankle. I've since stopped the commute but I still have the pain and stiffness just below the ankle on the right side of my right foot. When placing my hand on the area on both feet, I can feel a ridge on the sore ankle--just below the ankle bone--that I cannot feel on the other.

Is this a tendon I'm feeling? Is it simply inflammation? I've tried to wear a shoe with more support, but it doesn't seem to be having any effect.

I can walk, with very little discomfort, but it is quite a nuisance and it keeps me from any rigorous exercise.

Does anyone have any advice on steps I can take to help my ankle heal?

thanks in advance,

scottiep
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
It sounds like you've got a case of plantar flexion. This occurs when we point the foot, as in standing on our tiptoes. I think that the best think you can do would be to practice pulling your toes back toward your calf. When I was in rehab for a knee injury, the physical therapists gave me an exercise to help develop the calf and shin muscles...boring, but worked. With your big toe as pointer, try to write the entire alphabet A-Z in the air. And for ambidextrous balance, don't forget your left foot!
|
Did you find this post helpful?