Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Birthcontrol Question

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Hiya!
I just started taking the pill again after 5 months of being off of it. I just read online that you should take it while you're in your 2nd or 1st day of menstration. Thing is, I believe that this is my last day of it, and this is day 6.
My fiance is getting home from his 6 month deployment this week, and it says to wait 7 days to have sex, well he comes home sooner than that.
So, ontop of me not taking the pill when I was supposed too, I won't have 7 days inbetween having sex.
So um, will I get pregnate? He hates wearing condoms and it's going to be tough to convince him to wear one if that's the case. Should I be ok? I have about 5 days where I can take the pill, but not 7. Should I be ok?
I sure hope so! I don't want to get pregnate right now, lol.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Any time you do not use the pill as intended, naturally you could get pregnant. Even when used as intended, the pill is not 100% effective at preventing pregnancy. If he does not like condoms, you two can always use spermicide.
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Well, anytime that you do not use your pills correctly there is a significant increase in failure. Remember, the pill is only 98% effective if take 100% correctly. That being said, I was in a similar situation, I explained to my husband that because of some meds that I was on, it may interact with the effectiveness. (We were in a position that pregnancy would not be a bad situation) I told him that he needs to wear a condom if he doesn't want a baby. I left it up to him. He knew his options and we went with the option that was best for everyone.

Now, because you are just now starting birth control, I would venture to say a pregnancy would not be okay. I would explain to him how important it is for him to wear a condom. (because he has been gone so long he may not think things through Wink ) But I would definitely buy some spermicide (make sure to read the directions) And if the next day you are uncomfortable with your decision then you can go get plan b. (I am not condoning this as a birth control method)

I hope all works out the way you want!
|

replied March 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
You can start the PILL anytime you are not on your period, but it is not effective immediately, you must wait 7 full days for it to be effective...
|

replied March 12th, 2007
Yea, I don't drive so it's going to be weird to ask someone to drive me to the store to get spermicide..but I think I can manage to do so, lol.
Yea, him being ''oh man I've been gone for six months and there is only one thing on my mind when I get home'' and him not being a pro-condom guy to begin with is going to be a hassle. I did read like Clarifairy said if you at least wait a week. So I'm going to at least convince him to wear a condom until next monday at least (he gets home on saturday so hopefully he can spare 3 days Rolling Eyes ) Oh well. He has to respect what I want (and babies is not in the picture right now!) so either condom or nothing, unless I can get to the store and pick up some spermicide.
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Yup, he has to respect your decision! If you tell him " condom ..or nothing" I am pretty sure that will be the only inspiration that he will need. ( I am pretty sure that since he has been gone so long, he will do everything short of lighting his hair on fire, if you ask him to Laughing)

Clarifairy is completely correct the pill will be effective 7 days after you begin taking them *correctly*. Just make sure you are taking them correctly before you begin counting days.
|

replied March 12th, 2007
Do you think I should wait longer? i've been on the pill before and I take them around the same time of day, everyday. Cept on weekends or something when I sleep in a bit more but either way I take them everyday around the same time like i'm supposed too. But since I started late should I be ok if I wait 7 days or should I wait longer? Confused
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
If you start on the first day of your bleeding then it is effective immediately. If you start at any other time in your cycle it takes 7 days. So as long as you take them the same time every day, you will be good to go!! I'm sure he will appreciate the welcome home Laughing
|

replied March 12th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Lore08 wrote:
Do you think I should wait longer? i've been on the pill before and I take them around the same time of day, everyday. Cept on weekends or something when I sleep in a bit more but either way I take them everyday around the same time like i'm supposed too. But since I started late should I be ok if I wait 7 days or should I wait longer? Confused

You must wait 7 days from the first day you started properly taking the pill, and those 7 days must be of proper use. Improper use means you have to start over again. Once you get going, missing one pill - as long as you take it as soon as you remember - is okay, but two missed pills means you'll have to use spermicide for 7 days.
|

replied March 12th, 2007
thanks guys for answering!
I really appreciate it. Who knew birthcontrol could be so complicated (specially for me who can look at a pencil and go ''uh, now what?'' lol)
Thanks again!!
I figure I'll do the double up method for at least a week and a bit. I should've read this stuff before but that's ok! Thanks again!
|