Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

How Many Hrs Does It Take An Egg to Drop!

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
User Profile
I hope it does not take as little as 30 min for my egg to drop. I hope it takes 6-12 hours? So how many hour does it take? Confused Confused Question
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jaemierin
|

replied March 12th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
What do you mean "drop"??? Your egg breaks out of the follicle and travels from your ovary down to your fallopian tube. If a sperm reaches it and penetrates it, together they will make their way down further, evntually embedding itself into your uterus - thus getting a nice bfp telling you you are pregnant!!!!!
It takes (on average for a normal cycle woman) 14 days from the start of your period for this new egg to go through it's cycle and be ready for fertilization.
Hope this helps?!!!
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2007
Experienced User
jaemierin wrote:
What do you mean "drop"??? Your egg breaks out of the follicle and travels from your ovary down to your fallopian tube. If a sperm reaches it and penetrates it, together they will make their way down further, evntually embedding itself into your uterus - thus getting a nice bfp telling you you are pregnant!!!!!
It takes (on average for a normal cycle woman) 14 days from the start of your period for this new egg to go through it's cycle and be ready for fertilization.
Hope this helps?!!!

meaning how many hours it takes to fall and not be fertilized because of sperms being to slow? What rate of speed does the egg crawl down?
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
omg lol

im pretty sure theres no way to answer that question, if it's meant to happen this time it will, why do you think they're too "slow"?
|

replied March 13th, 2007
reneblack wrote:
jaemierin wrote:
Hope this helps?!!!

meaning how many hours it takes to fall and not be fertilized because of sperms being to slow? What rate of speed does the egg crawl down?

Rene - I'm pretty sure that this can't be measured in hours. The process or cycle takes on average 28 days. By the time you ovulate (meaning egg is in it's prime and ready to be fertilized) Ovulation is only one day - however, there is approx a 5 day window in which it is best to try and conceive - 3 days before day of ovulation, the day of ovulation and even the day after you ovulate, just in case ovulation was a day late. Beyond a day or two PAST your ovulation day, it is now too late for the egg to become fertilized and it dies and starts to dissintegrate, therfore resulting in your period about 14 days later (for an average cycle woman). Sperm being too slow??? HUH? If it can swim, it can make it...trust me. Sperm usually only live about 24-72 hours tops, so if it doesn't reach the egg by then, then there are no sperm until you bd again.
Hope this all makes sense to you. If not, perhaps your Doctor could explain it better than me!!!!!!
|

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I think what she's asking is, from the time your ovary releases the egg, how long until your body reabsorbs it if it isn't fertilized.

I think an egg is viable for about 36 hours. I'm probably wrong. But a day or two, roughly. That's why I always advise women to start having sex a day or two before they ovulate, and every day (or every other, if your man has a low sperm count) until your fertile window is closed. This guarantees that there will be lots of fresh sperm in your body at all times, and gives you a higher chance of having the little swimmers in position when your egg is descending.
|

replied March 13th, 2007
AyaMiyaki wrote:
I think what she's asking is, from the time your ovary releases the egg, how long until your body reabsorbs it if it isn't fertilized.

I think an egg is viable for about 36 hours. I'm probably wrong. But a day or two, roughly. That's why I always advise women to start having sex a day or two before they ovulate, and every day (or every other, if your man has a low sperm count) until your fertile window is closed. This guarantees that there will be lots of fresh sperm in your body at all times, and gives you a higher chance of having the little swimmers in position when your egg is descending.

Ahh, yes, maybe that's what she is asking....I was a bit confused!!!! 36 hours seems about right...but I'm not a 100% sure either. I think you have a good chance if you bd the day of ovulation (obviously before hand is great too!!!!) and the day after O as well - just to catch that egg, so to speak!!!
I think she'll understand after this!!!!! Wink
|

User Profile
replied March 14th, 2007
Experienced User
AyaMiyaki wrote:

Thank you. Thats what I meant! Wink But, I have a clear blue easy fertility monitor. So, that helps alot! Cool
|

replied July 6th, 2009
Experienced User
Ok what about this had sex on May 20 protected and and 4days later pregant? I am not understanding that.She says she knows when she got pregnant. she says she goes by the day you had sex - a few and then add 9 months. Witch she said she will be due in feb. But in 4 days thats pretty fast. i tracked by her last period if that is even true. was a out april 20-21
|

User Profile
replied July 7th, 2009
Experienced User
I Was Reading Up About It Today And I Am Pretty Sure It Said 12-24hrs Smile Hope This Helps Smile
|

replied August 16th, 2012
Can I be pregnant?
Okay here's the situation. I've been tracking my cycle since January of this year and I have a 30 day cycle. So every month my period fell on the days that it was due to arrive. Except this month. My husband and I are trying to conceive. My last period was on July 15th and it lasted 5 days. Him and I had sex on the 5th 6th 9th and 10th of august but my period was scheduled for August 14. It's still a no show. So I started googling ovulation and stumbled upon a link that said it's best to have sec 1 to 2 weeks before your period. 2 weeks before my period was due is the 4th I had sex on the 5th... I'm panicking and anxious about knowing! What do you guys think? Can I be pregnant?
|
Tags: pregnant
Quick Reply