Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Bumps On Back of Tongue

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
I noticed a cluster of bumps on the very back of my tongue. I only see them when i stick my tongue out very far. They are behind the "v" of papillae and just above the epiglottis (the thing that closes over the trachea. i dont know if thats the right term). Any ways, they dont hurt at all, but i just noticed them recently.....which doesnt mean they havent been there my whole life, i just noticed now because of the excessive post-nasal drip i have and lump in my throat feeling. Anyone know what these are?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Mixed Clouds
|

replied March 12th, 2007
My guess is it's a form of herpes.
|

replied May 12th, 2008
I have noticed similar bumps in my throat, behind the papillae and surrounding my tonsils. My papillae seem quite swollen and i'm sure smoking doesn't help this any. I have the habit of creating a vacuum in the back of my throat to clear debris and mucous from my post nasal and tonsil area. ( sounds nasty!) but i think this may contribute to swelling of my papillae or any other bumps or lumps back there by drawing blood into them. I'm sure if you were to scratch your bumps they would be quite painful. I hope i'm not improperly playing down some kind of ear or tonsil problem but i'm just trying to suggest a possible explanation.
Doctors would know better than I of course.
|

replied March 31st, 2009
red bumps on the back of the tongue
i heard that they are part of the taste buds and are completely normal.

i would wait to see if it was just irritated.
|

replied January 6th, 2010
Bumps on back of tounge....
Check for acid reflux or GERD. Irritation of the esophagus lining can go as far up to the back of the throat (tounge). Sometimes Barrett's disease can cause this. Best to check with your GI Doctor or Primary.

Best of luck, and good health.
|

replied April 15th, 2012
I have been feeling like I have something stuck in my throat for a day or two now, and noticed that I have a cluster of bumps on the back of my tongue. The Internet said it could be from a burn, and then I remembered a swallowed scalding hot tea 2 days ago. I'm going to assume it's blistering from that.
|

replied September 4th, 2013
Blister like bumps in the back of my throat,,,
I have 2 blister like bumps way back behind my tongue it hurts a good bit to swallow, on the left side when I gargle with warm salt water it feels a lot better or lozenge's it has been like this for two days now but I am headed to the Ocean for the weekend and I don't know what to do for the pain or to make it feel better drink cold water and keeping it moist curbs the pain, it hurts in the back to sneeze or yawn too,
|