Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Swelling Above Navel

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
For about two months now, my upper abdomen (above my navel) seems to stick out further than it did. It's not a specific small lump or anything, it's the entire area. When I rub over it, it feels very hard. Anyone have any ideas? Is it possible to have a fecal impaction in that area even if I'm having normal bowel movements now? I went to the dr. with side pain and they did an x-ray that showed very full intestines. So I have been cleaning myself out very well. Now my side pain is gone at least. I've also been experiencing very painful heartburn that covers my entire chest, just recently.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper xastur7
|

replied February 22nd, 2010
Hi -
I had your symptoms in reverse order! My heartburn felt like I had been punched right in the centre of my chest just under my ribs. It turned out to be gallstones and I had them removed in November. Pain has gone.
I now find myself with a swelling above my navel. It is odd - felt like it did when I was pregnant. Hard and round. So much so I did a pregnancy test to make sure!!! Had scan today and am still waiting for the results. They say that it isn't a hernia from my two c-sections or my laproscopic gall bladder op - but they do think that it is my bowel pushing into a space behind my belly button - which for some reason has a thinner layer of fat behind it than the rest of my abdomen. Hope to learn more from my GP or surgeon.
Good luck!!
|

replied October 25th, 2010
merlin68. what did it turn out to be? This sounds like you are talking about me.
|