Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Onion Smell Coming From Vagina (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I looked through the site before I asked this question. I did find some posts but they are over a year old. Has anyone found an answer as to why this happens and how to make it better. I have had this problem for about a year and it has not gotten any better. I know the onion smell comes from (inside) the vagina. PLEASE..can someone help me???
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper escapethefate10
|

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Anytime that you notice a strange oder you should ask your ob-gyn about it just to make sure. Sometimes strange oders can be a sign of an infection, although it is usually more of a strong smell or a fishy smell that is associated with infection (keep in mind that a healthy vagina does have some smell to it) as opposed to an onion smell.

People say that if you eat a lot of something strong (onions or garlic primarily) the smell or taste can end up not only on the breath, but also in sweat, discharge, or ejaculate. Most people do not eat enough of anything that strong for it to cause them to smell like it to that extent, but some do. I have only experienced it once. I knew a girl who smelled like mayo and vinegar when I was younger (in general, I don't know if her vagina smelled like it or not). Ugh. I hate that smell. She loved both mayo and vinegar and ate a lot of them. So take a look at your diet and see if that is a possible culprit.
|

replied March 13th, 2007
Onion Smell
That topic http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic48215. html is very old. Nobody seems to have the right answer, sorry Sad
|

replied June 23rd, 2007
I've been having this problem for a few years now. I have been to a doctor once about it. At that time I was not sexual active for over a year, so it was not a STD. He didn't think it was a yeast infection and said it could be that my period was coming soon. There is really nothing to do about it. I get it (the onion like smell) about 2-3 times a year, and it is just whenever it decides to come (I don't get it every time i'm about to get my period). If the monistat(spelling) pill works, then use it. I'm not saying it is for everyone, and I'm not saying it is just because your period is coming as well. My doctor swears up and down that it isn't a yeast infection or any other infection. I'm not itchy, it doesn't hurt to pass urine or anything of that matter, so he doesn't really know what it is. I know this might not exactly help but it might calm you down a bit. I know my "smell" isn't noticeable to anyone else (I've asked my mom and a few friends), so it all depends on what you are doing, but wearing a pad might help cover up the smell. Also, be sure to change your underwear and tampons on time, so you don't get any infections and clean with unscented body washes.

Hope this somewhat helps.

Good luck!
|

replied May 14th, 2013
thank you that helped a lot Smile
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2007
Yeast infection ; not onion your smelling its the smell of yeast =\
|

replied June 24th, 2007
Well I don't know.. My doctor doesn't say it is, so who knows. I've been a few times, and to a few different doctors, so it all depends on the person, and the doctor I guess.
|

replied June 26th, 2007
I sometime smell like that, it smells the smae as very potent sweat

[removed]

I think that onions smell similar to sweat. I also find my sweat smells more strongly when I am stressed. Hopw the links are helpfull too Smile
|

replied June 28th, 2007
yes i noticed it myself too if i consume too much coffee or tea . I tend to have some heavy discharge with smell but when i stop for few days its gone back normal..hope this might helps you too.
|

replied December 16th, 2008
onion smell!!!
This jas been a problem with me for quite sometime now, I would say a few years, I was always too embarresses to tel my doctor about it. I have looked through this site before and found some helpful stuff, but not the answer I was looking for.

HOW to get rid of the smell. Well I always noticed that when I my underwear are a certain kind of material, I never figured out which one exactly but I do know for sure that using 100% cotton definatley gets rid of the smell.
I always loved to dance and this smell got really strong when I would sweat, so yes I might have to do with your diet, but also what you wear.
I hope this helps
|

replied February 5th, 2009
Onion Smell
It can come from what you eat. If I eat even a small amount of onions, then all of my mucus membranes (nose, mouth, and vagina) smell like onions, even just a few hours later and for a day or two unless I have more onion. Its very weird, but thats how it goes.
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
This happens to me too, its so annoying. It only happens when i actually touch onions when cutting them, i do a lot of cooking so it is really annoying.The best way to avoid it is to use a fork as well when cutting them so u dont actually touch them, I'm contemplating buying gloves!! I thought i was the only one, thank god im not!
|

replied May 14th, 2011
onion smekk
me too I thought I was the only one who had this smell sometimes too!
|

replied November 17th, 2011
ME TOO!!!
I cut up a 25 lb bag of onions a few days ago, and the next day the hubby and I smelled of onions everywhere! The smell on him is gone but the smell remains on me, down there... so odd because all I did was touch them with my hands! I had no idea that could even be a possibility... Glad I am not alone.
|

replied April 27th, 2009
Onion Smell
It happens to different people and I find it very simple to understand frankly. There are sweat glands in your vaginal lips and they sweat. Just like some people smell when their armpits sweat without deodorant and some don't...some people stink when they sweat on their vagina and some don't. It's all in how you're built. I used to have this problem and have solved it. I use it for my armpits and vagina. It is called Tend Skin. It is for razorburn. You put it on right after taking a shower and no matter how hard you sweat you will not smell. I still wear deodorant under my armpits but the vagina never ever smells now! Buy some!
|
Users who thank Sebashtian77 for this post: Feeling 

replied August 15th, 2011
where do you buy this at
|

replied May 2nd, 2009
onion smell
I have recently had this too, it seems to me the smell is much like that of your armpits without deodorant. We, as humans, have a lot of sweat glands on every inch of our body...this includes on the vagina. My experience is the scent is not really IN the vagina but from the area between the outside and the legs(dont know if im explaining it right) but that area resembles the armpit pretty well..it gets hot down there, ya know? i found putting deodorant in that space helps..as silly as it sounds. 2 of my best friends do the same =] hope it helps!
|
Users who thank futurerna for this post: Feeling 

replied November 5th, 2009
ONION SMELL
I found out recently that ONLY when I touch onions (cutting them for preparing foods)that later this smell not only stay on my hands but I have it in my vaginal area as well. It was very embarrasing for my husband to smell this. I assured him, IT WAS THE ONIONS I was cutting up yesterday. So with me it is there for about 2 days. Wash hands with fresh lemon, and ladies please cleanse yourself internal with baking soda and vinegar. Oh Yeah, HAVE HUBBY CUT the ONIONS.....lol
|

replied November 5th, 2009
hi yes i have the same problems occassionaly, but is it safe to pu t dodorant on your vagina, maybe body spray?
It is very embarrassing can anyone suggest anything else?
|

replied November 6th, 2009
i was just reading to see if i was the only one! thank god I am not. i use summer's eve feminine deodorant spray to help mask the smell but i find i still smell at times no matter how often i clean or douche... especially after sex. my boyfriend loves onions and puts them in everything we eat... guess i have to start cooking! nice to know it is because of what i am eating and touching... not a serious problem. i heard meats and certain veggies affected a man's ejaculation... but i did not know this to be true for a woman's vagina. if anyone else finds a better way to deal with this besides changing diets and such please tell!
|

replied December 15th, 2009
Blame the food
90% of the time, it's your diet. Certain foods and drinks will almost always cause your sweat glands and vaginal secretions to smell differently and in accordance to how much you've ingested.

Onions, garlic, coffee, tea, green vegetables, meat, fish.. they all tend to cause an unpleasant odor. Think of foods that after you touch them with your hands leave a lingering smell even after washing or an hour after eating you can still smell the food in the air? Those are the biggest culprits

The only real "cure" aside from wearing deodorant and perfume is to drink alot of water to flush out your system.
|

replied March 6th, 2010
onions?
This has been happening to me for about a year now...my boyfriend and I both think it comes from eating or cutting or just touching them in general. For the first year we were together I hated onions...but he loves to cook with them and I started to get used to them and eat them. Thats when the smell first started showing up. So I try and stay as far away from them as possible, not even so much as chop them...that brings on the smell as well...and sometimes it will last for a week. Nothing is wrong with you...just try and stay away from onions....believe me I'v done lots of research about this...You're normal
|

replied July 22nd, 2010
Could be caused by stress... or a kidney problem.
From what I've learned, smells can tell you a bit about your body chemistry and health. No matter where the smell is coming from, a fruity smell from sweat can indicate diabetes or an insulin imbalance. And an onion smell can indicate higher than usual stress hormones. Along with the onion smell, you'll often notice it's accompanied by more sweat than is usual for you, and sometimes, night sweats. I've also heard that it could indicate kidney problems, so check with your doctor. Another possible link is drinking too much coffee, as coffee can affect the kidneys and cause kidney stones if consumed in large amounts on a regular basis. Hope this helps someone! ^_^
|
Users who thank Stacy1983 for this post: Feeling 

replied July 24th, 2010
I believe the onion odor is NOT caused by what we eat or touch. I myself, do not cook and havent been eating onions for sometime. What makes it worse for me, is that I am a lesbian and I refuse to date until this gets cleared up! I have used deodorants as suggested by family members as they have it also. I even went so far as to have my labia reduced as it was very very strong. That did not help. I have looked at other postings and saw something called "tend skin" which I will try first, otherwise after that I am going to do the botox thing. So add it to your favorites. It may take awhile to find out some answers but you can email me there for questions even. Questions will be answered promptly. For the email subject, post "onions". When I get an answer I will email ALL of you back! Thanks! I hope we all find a cure for this! Good luck to you all!
|
Quick Reply