Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Labor and Delivery Forum

Can Back Pain Be a Sign of Labor? (Page 1)

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I was just wondering if back pain could be a sign of labor? Since about an hour ago my lower back has been killing me. It has been aching non stop. It feels so uncomfortable and it aches and feels strained. My front around my pubic bone feels like I am ovulating or getting ready to start my period and I am having little stinging pains in my upper tummy. I was just wondering if this is normal or should I be worried?

Last edited by kezia333 on March 8th, 2007 11:14 PM; edited 2 times in total
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kezia333
|

replied March 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Yes, I think that's considered back labor (not 100% since I never experienced back labor)
But yes my dear, it's very possible!! Smile
|

replied March 9th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I was in back labor for 3 days before i started to feel 'real' contractions. It is a pain (almost constant) in your lower back. it almost feels like a dull ache that comes and goes. i didn't know i was really in labor but when i spoke with the nurses they were like how long have you felt this way.....so they said that i had been in labor for a while.
|

replied March 9th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
i had back pain days before labour. when i was in actual labour the back pain was unbareable.
|

replied March 9th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I had pains in both the back and the front.

They started in the back, and made their way around to the front. It was just like severe period cramps.

As you dialate, the contractions become worse. ANd worse.

Honestly, the contractions hurt worse than her coming out. I didn't have a break between contractions.

Sarah
|

replied March 30th, 2007
Experienced User
wow hun yea i had that same feeling for days.. it hurts and you tier easy.. the worst is once labor came full blown that pain turned into a harsher more unbareable pain! but it sound like labor is on the way
|

replied March 30th, 2007
Experienced User
wow hun yea i had that same feeling for days.. it hurts and you tier easy.. the worst is once labor came full blown that pain turned into a harsher more unbareable pain! but it sound like labor is on the way
|

replied January 10th, 2010
I am experiencing the same thing (without the constant crampy feeling) and am 36 weeks tomorrow. I woke up in the night with pain in my back and my belly was very hard across the top. The latter has since subsided, but the back pain is constant. Could this be labor?
|

replied January 10th, 2010
I am experiencing the same thing (without the constant crampy feeling) and am 36 weeks tomorrow. I woke up in the night with pain in my back and my belly was very hard across the top. The latter has since subsided, but the back pain is constant. Could this be labor?
|

replied January 24th, 2010
But yes my dear, it's very possible
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2010
Hey there
I was suffering very badly with lower back pain during my last pregnancy and so I had some acupressure sessions (thought about acupuncture but am scared of needles). Have to say it seemed to do the trick and also it relaxed me, which I think was what was needed as I was getting a bit uptight about a lot of things.
|

replied May 22nd, 2010
I want to know if I am about to go into labor.
I am having lower back pains and occassional cramps. The cramps are dull and not really painful but I am 40.1 weeks and I went to the Doctor 3 days ago and she told me that I had dialated to 1/2 a centimeter. Am I about to go into labor?
|

replied October 14th, 2010
I also have a dull ache in my lower back. Not waves of pain just a constant pain almost to the point its difficult to walk. I have a dull period like ache every so often and have been experiencing this for a few days but certainly not at any regular intervals but mostly when I have braxton hicks (not every braxton hicks though). I also feel as if I have been on a very long bike ride... you know the pain/ache right at the bottom of my pelvis. Anyone else experienced this or any ideas what it would be?
|

replied March 25th, 2011
Back Pain
I've been having this back pain this week on and off. Haven't had it up until then so far this pregnancy. I am sure it must be a sign that labour is coming soon seeing how I am due in 6 days! Its justa dull ache in my lower back that feels like I have pulled something or sat a werid way for too long! Hope the baby comes sooooooooooooooooooon! Smile
|

replied March 29th, 2011
im 2 days past due on my due date and i had lower back pain this morning and i had cramps like it was my period all through the night and this morning and also i got a sharp pain like shooting from my tummy to my vagina, but since i got out of bed the cramps went away and my hurts just a tad now, is this the start of labor or what, im very confused and all!
|

replied June 6th, 2011
Back pain
I'm 33 weeks & woke up last night With pains in my lower back is this sign of early labour? Still have the pains today, I'm very worried!!
|

replied September 3rd, 2011
Is this Signs of Labor ?
I am 36 weeks today & I've had the period cramping pains first they went away about 2 days ago now I'm experiencing the back pains & yesterday i decided to lay down & relax it off, It only became worse by the morning. Now i can Bearly walk ! Is this signs of labor ?
|

replied October 28th, 2011
Pre-term Back/Frontal Contractions
I'm 36 weeks tomorrow and was in the hospital a week ago with pre-term contractions. I've been having back contractions ever since since the pills to stop the contractions never worked. I'm not sure when I'll be giving birth, but everyone keeps saying a week to two weeks. I also had the steroid shots for betamethasone.
I'm not getting my hopes up..but my back pain only gets worse these days. It's becoming very hurtful and I hope it's over soon.
I'm still having abdomen contractions too about every 15 minutes..but those have also been non stop since I was in the hospital. However, my stomach now is staying extraordinarily hard. Guess we'll wait and see when my little girl is ready to say hi to the world.
I just wish it were more certain when she'd be here!
|

replied November 11th, 2011
In beginning stages of labor
I have had lower back pain and little pains in my lower pelvis for over a week. I am a week over due and my baby is head down. I am getting little twinges of pain here and there but not consistent. Is this labor?
|

replied November 16th, 2011
I am 32 weeks pregnant with twins. My lower back is very sore, and I have been getting a lot of cramps the last few days, like bad period cramps. It is also hard to walk at times. Could I be in labour????
|
12 >>