Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Un- Known Leg Problem? Nerve? Blood Flow? (Page 1)

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
Hello,
Im a 36yo Male, tryin to seek information on an re-occuring problem. Bare with me as I describe, My left leg has an annoying tingling(vibration) nearly all the time. Sometimes pulsing as the sensation continues. whether standing, sitting laying down or active I still have this same vibration sensation. However, there is no feel of vibration to the touch, like a spasm. But I feel it. Is it nerve possibly blood flow? any ideas would be appreciated.
I dont feel any numbness nor discoloring as i would imagine loss of blood flow would cause. Its been occuring for about a year and havent seen a proffesional about this. I really would like an idea of what it maybe so i may better help the doctor with a diagnosis before i go get checked
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper SeanSam
|
Users who thank pmotorman1 for this post: jozi 

replied March 9th, 2007
Experienced User
this is mostly caused by the nerve. you would need to supplement yourself with vitamin B and see if the problems go away.
|

replied June 7th, 2007
Unknown Leg Problem Can Be Caused By Trauma.
I understand this type of feeling. I have never been diagnosed with RLS but every one tells me I've got all the symptoms. Legs jump when resting and whatever.

I also have a bone disorder called Osteochromdomia (begnign bone tumors). I've had several Surgeries to have these tumors removed. The last surgery I had tumors taken from my knee area [real close to some of the nerves]. Ever since this has been done I also have vibrating sensations. I've chaulked it up to traumitizing of the nerve that was near my tumor. I don't really know if this is true or not.

hope this helped a little.
|

replied December 22nd, 2008
RE: Un- Known Leg Problem? Nerve? Blood Flow?
Hi pmotarman1. Did you ever find out what was worng and was it resolved for you? I have developed the same problem about two weeks ago and I'm at a loss.
|

replied January 29th, 2009
RE: Un- Known Leg Problem? Nerve? Blood Flow?
I just have developed the same symptom in the last 3 days. Strange - makes me wonder if the blood flow is partially restricted. Pulses seem to be 3-4 seconds apart
|

replied June 9th, 2009
feel blood flow at an interval of 3 secs in my lower left leg
same here brother !!!!we are in the same boat any solutions for this???????????john
|

replied March 14th, 2010
leg and foot vibrating
I have been experiencing the same thing and wonder if this has something to do with blood flow due to the fact I have extremely high blood pressure with problems being controlled. Please help!
|

replied March 15th, 2010
i've had a similiar problem the past couple months, in my arms as well. My dr checked me out though and it definitely does not seem like a blood flow problem as my pulses are good down there etc, no vericose veins. Umm she also did the classic knee test and my leg kicked out like a champ so...i'm still at a loss, i know she thinks all my limb symptoms are anxiety related, i HOPE she's right. But the left calf area still, every morning and/or every night always seems 'off' ...maybe just lack of general exercise, i have no idea. It's not painful per se, nor is it a full numbness thing, whatever it is though it just makes me shake out my calf constantly out of habit.
|

replied March 21st, 2010
Experienced User
Might a shortage of either sodium or potassium cause some of these symptoms - Rather like the sensation you sometimes get prior to cramp? Sports drinks contain these.
|

replied June 15th, 2010
Sensations in legs
I started having this feeling in my legs, almost as if I can feel the blood going through my legs. No pain, or numbness, or tingling it is just strange. I don't have high blood pressure or any medical problems and have not discussed this with my Dr she would think I was nuts.
|

replied June 16th, 2010
Experienced User
It doesn`t sound like a condition/anything serious - Perhaps you focus on your legs and this is at the cause?
|

replied June 16th, 2010
Vibrations in my legs
No, I don't think so. At first I thought something in the house was running. I thought I was feeling it through the floor. That wasn't it. I don't think about it until the feeling is really noticeable. Today at the office I was working and I stared feeling the vibrations in my legs.

I can't do anything about it and I don't feel it above my knees its just strange to me and I wondered if anyone else had anything like this?
|

replied June 17th, 2010
Experienced User
They can test the blood flow with chemical die. Is there any pain ever? Any frobbing (deep veins varicosed?)
|

replied October 21st, 2010
Vibration of the leg.
Did anyone find a diagnosis for the following: vibration, feeling of the "blood flow" through the leg. No numbness. No tingling. No loss of pulses. Just this annoying vibration in the leg.
|

replied July 30th, 2011
blood flow in thigh
i have it in my croch area,comes and goes. Thought for sure it was blood flowing from my pelvic area through my upper most thigh right where my leg connects to my body. Feel it in the same spot, about 1 inch area. Pulsating feeling but more like blood flow.
Question is, is it something I should see the doctor for...now blood pressure problems but do have hip and lower back issues.
|

replied September 6th, 2011
Blood Flow Vibration
I have this same sensation. The clearest way to describe it is that it feels like blood is squirting through a blood vessel in my arch/inner ankle every 3-4 seconds. No pain or discomfort at all. The interval doesn't match my pulse at all which is why this doesn't add up. My first thought- based on what it feels like- is that I have a clogged blood vessel that blood is squirting through, which is the only reason that nerves in my foot would be picking up on this and translating to a feeling of pulsing or vibration. So that's why I googled it and came across this chain. Has anyone ever been able to identify the cause of this phenomenon?
|

replied November 13th, 2011
Squirting Blood Feeling In Leg
SeanSam,

I Googled basically the same thing you did, and found your question and this thread. I'm a 49-year-old female and having the same problem. The way I've described it is the feeling of water trying to rush through a kinked hose. Kind of a "Pffffftttt" feeling, if it were to make a sound. Have no idea what it is. I'm going to try the Gatorade route that someone mentioned above. It's quite possible my electrolytes are low. Though it doesn't feel like any sort of a muscle spasm, it really feels more like restricted blood flow.

If anyone figures this out, please let us all know! Thanks!
|

replied December 31st, 2011
Jon56
I have just encountered this very same sensation today for the very first time whilst renovating the kitchen in my home. In the sole of my left foot just at the base of my two smallest toes this morning whilst I was crouching down adjusting the cabinet height.
My first thought was that I have a restricted blood vessel that is letting blood through in bursts as the pressure builds up about every 2.5 seconds for a duration of about 1 second a silent gurgling type vibration sensation that just cycles continuously.
That was 12 hours ago and now I am sitting in bed with the sensation still occuring. I feel sure that it is circulatory in nature, being a restriction in blood flow through capillaries and veins so I have taken 300 mg of Aspirin and after about 40 minutes the sensation has decreased slightly in intensity and is not as constant. I'll be interested to see if the vibration is still present later this morning. It is now 15 minutes into the year 2012 here in Australia, so Happy New Year.
|

replied December 2nd, 2011
Referred pain, I had the same thing
As someone recently diagnosed with sciatica, I suspect that much of what I've read in this thread is as well. Basically pain, or vibration sensations in the thigh, hip, groin, down the leg, and into the foot are all common symptoms of low back disc herniations, called sciatica, aka referred pain. Look into that possibility. Shocked the docs didn't catch that for some of you, but they are often very hesitant to order an MRI because it doesn't always show there.
|

replied April 18th, 2012
Courtney23,
What you described sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. I was diagnosed with a variety of back issues, including sciatica as a symptom of the spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, spondylolisthesis, bone spurs, and arthritis. I had an L4-5 fusion done in 2008, and a cervical fusion at C3-4 in 2010. About a year ago I started experiencing the "blood rushing" feeling in my groin and the back of my knee on my right, which is the side I had the sciatic on. I am getting treated again for the same issues at L5-S1, and I wonder if this IS all related? It is amazing all the crazy sensations you can feel in your extremities that originate in the back. Thankfully the blood rush is not painful at all - just really loud (for lack of a better term) and weird. Gonna mention it to my spinal doc and see what he says...
|

Jon56
I have just encountered this very same sensation today for the very first time whilst renovating the kitchen in my home. In the sole of my left foot just at the base of my two smallest toes this morning whilst I was crouching down adjusting the cabinet height.
My first thought was that I have a restricted blood vessel that is letting blood through in bursts as the pressure builds up about every 2.5 seconds for a duration of about 1 second a silent gurgling type vibration sensation that just cycles continuously.
That was 12 hours ago and now I am sitting in bed with the sensation still occuring. I feel sure that it is circulatory in nature, being a restriction in blood flow through capillaries and veins so I have taken 300 mg of Aspirin and after about 40 minutes the sensation has decreased slightly in intensity and is not as constant. I'll be interested to see if the vibration is still present later this morning. It is now 15 minutes into the year 2012 here in Australia, so Happy New Year.
|

Jon56
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Jon,

Numbness and tingling (vibration, buzzing, ants crawling, etc) is due to a disorder of nerves. If the symptoms resolves on its own, it is known as neuropraxia. The general term in a neuropathy.

It is just like when you sit on your leg and your foot goes to sleep. Then, when you relieve the pressure, the numbness goes to tingling, then finally the foot wakes up completely. Contrary to what our mothers told us about cutting off the circulation, it is actually due to compression of a nerve or nerves.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is a very common compressive neuropathy.

So, most likely, while you where in the crouching position, you applied pressure to the digital nerves that go to the toes. This is actually quite easy to do, as any woman who has worn 6 inch stilletos can tell you. It is also common in the military, soldiers will often present after long road marches with numb toes.

Again, if the sensation goes away on its own, it is referred to as neuropraxia. But, it has up to six months to go away to still be classed as a neuropraxia. If the nerve does not wake up within the six month time frame it may be axontmesis, which is a little more significant nerve disorder, in which the nerve may still recover. If the nerve does not recover, then it is considered neurotmesis.

Most cases of neuropraxia recover very quickly and the vast majority, within 4 to 6 weeks. However, by definition, neuropraxia can last up to six months.

So, if the sensation does not go away on its own in a few days, you might want to see your physician. It is important to determine the exact cause of the sensation. Some medical problems will make a patient more susceptible to a neuropathy, and those should be treated (ie like diabetes, hypothyroidism, etc). There are some circulatory disorders that could conceivably lead to a neuropathy, if it cut off the circulation to the nerve. Nerves do not tolerate being hypoxic very well. Unfortunately, except to treat any underlying disorder, there is not much to do about the sensation, except to wait and see.

Good luck. Have a great 2012.
|
12 >>