Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Back Pain Only When Sleeping.

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I have for the last two months had no trouble getting to sleep at night but after between 4-5 hours sleep i awake with pain across all of my middle back spreading round my ribs to my chest. It is quite severe so the only option I have is to get up for half an hour and let it subside or even just sitting up is sufficient. I then attempt another couple of hours before the same thing happens. Throughout the day I am fine so it seems this pain is only brought on from actually lying down, in other words, when my back is horizontal. I have been to see an osteopath who doesnt seem to be able to shed any light on the matter. I have even bought a memory mattress which although has been a recent purchase doesnt seem to be helping either. has anyone got any suggestions as I am at a loss as to what to do.

Thanks, Keith
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 13th, 2007
Experienced User
Have you ever injured your back? How old are you? What do you do for work? Are you active? What was the last thing you did that you think might've triggered it?

I'll need to know those things to be able to help you more.
|

replied March 15th, 2007
Thanks 'future Lovers'
Thanks for the interest. Sorry it has taken me a while to get back. I am 28 years old currently unemployed but had been spending a large amount of time sat at a desk either on the internet or reading. There was nothing that I can pin point as having triggered it but over the years I have had on rare ocurences a mild sensation that is similar. But nothing of the intensity and regularity that is the case now. It is a pain in the middle back that sweeps right around to the front of my rib cage and checks my breathing. The osteopath seems as bewildered as i am so any clues would be greatly appreciated.

Keith
|

replied March 16th, 2007
Experienced User
OK thanks. Some things I can think of that might cause that sort of pain might be:

- Muscle spasms/tightness
- Kidney stones
- Prostate problems
- Some other kind of internal organ problem
- Lack of exercise and active lifestyle

You can fix muscle spasms/tightness by starting to exercise again, making sure you stretch your whole body on a daily basis and begin to lead an active lifestyle again (the sitting at a desk needs to be balanced with exercising).

As for internal organs, I really hope you don't have any of these, but might have to get your kidneys and prostate checked out. Both of those are known to cause unpredictable back pain.

I don't know anything else really, but please do get a few more opinions, and see if what I suggested might be of any use to you.
|

replied August 7th, 2009
hi..i have exactly the same problem at night,when laying in bed,only my pain is in the lower part of my back. no matter what position in, it seems to get worse through the night. however when i am standing up,it seems to go. i,like you, do not feel it through the day time.

has anyone got any answers to this please

thank you

louise
|

replied November 30th, 2009
back pain sufferers only while sleeping
Check for HLA-B27, Ankylosing Spondylitis
|

replied April 28th, 2010
Lower Back pain while sleeping
HI Louise

I have the exact same problem. Lower back pain at night when I sleep after 1 to 2 hours. Struggle to turn at night. During the day my back feels ok. This started last year October, had treatment from a chiropractor, but no relief. Pain pills don''t help either.

What could this be????

Please if someone could shed some light here.
|

replied April 28th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
does it hurt no matter what position. do you have any arthritis. did you have injury?
|

replied September 5th, 2011
Lower to mid back pain, only when sleeping.
I have the same problem with recent onset. I exercise and eat healthy. I've had the problem off and on for twenty years and the only thing I've ever heard that made sense was from a black jack dealer in Louisiana. We discussed recurring back pain that happens only at night and keeps us from getting good sleep. She then asked me if I drink a lot of coke. Which I do. I'm mostly addicted to the stuff. She had the same sort of addiction and was told it was the source of her night time kidney pains. The only way to rid yourself of the pain is to quit drinking the soda. That was the advice someone gave her and it actually worked!
|

replied September 7th, 2011
I think you should consult a doctor.Sometimes i also feels back pain when sleeping.I think it is due to lack of exercise.If you sit and work continuously the chances of back pain are more.I also experienced back pain.I think you should visit a doctor as soon as possible..he will give some oilmen t.....
|