Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

Really Need Some Mommies Advice

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
okay I took Amelia to the doc yesterday for her 1 month check up and everything looked fine. I asked them about her congestion and they said its normal and its her body getting used to the world. As long as her nose isnt running. Well this morning she is coughing, only been 3 times tho but still. She sounds really congested and the booger sucker doesnt do anything for it. Nose isnt running tho. But My question is....How can I tell if she has a cold?? Does this sound like it?

-Amber
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2007
Supporter
Jenny always sounds congested too, especially in the morning. When she had a cold a few weeks ago I could tell because she couldn't keep her milk down, most of it came back up again fairly quickly. She was also much more unsettled and didn't sleep as much.

Keep an eye on her coughing, if it continues you might want to see the doctor again.. but if they said she's healthy then I wouldn't worry too much! =)
|

replied March 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
have you tryed a humidifier?
|

replied March 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
My .Amelia had the same thing I took her so Many times because i was scared that she was sick and she wasn't. Amelia has had breating problems since she was born so i have always thought that somethign was wrong....but they said that it sounds like she is congested when she really wasn't.

squirt some of the little noses stuff up there and point the sucker bulb tilted down or else it's not goint go get anything out.....that is what i was doing wrong......so it you tilt it down and don't get anything she is fine. she is just getting used to breating and everything. sleep her upright sorta and that may help.

if you are worried enough about it you should take her in

i cant believe that she is already a month old Shocked
|

replied March 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Thanks with the quick responses Ladies!!

Zanny- She was spitting up ALOT! But it was her formula. I had it switched to Isomil and now the spit up thing is fine. Atleast I hope that was what was wrong.

Chase- Yea I have a humidifier. Its always on too.

Sunflower- I cant beleive shes a month already either. Im always scred shes going to be sick and me not know it. I thihnk I am using it wrong. Everytime I try to stick the bulb up her nose she squirms and I can get it the boogers all the way out so I have to pull them out my self. I thought the thing wouldnt suck hard enough but I guess Im just not using it right.

Is that what its called ' Little Noses' ? where can I get it? Walmart?
|

replied March 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
congestion in newborns sounds worse than it really is. they breath alot through thier nose still.
|

replied March 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
yeah it's just like drops that you put in her nose and it breaks up the mucus (if there is any) and makes it easier for you to suck it out. I couldnt' get anything out at first either because i was doing it wrong. if you tilt the bulb at a downward angle and you will see a difference.

now that amelia is bigger i have to lay her on the floor and put her little arms under my legs and hold her had with my hand and then do it. it's hard. lol we look funny.
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
jordynne was congested like almsot the first month of her life. they just gave me saline drops and a booger sucker, she was way worse at night and early morning then during the day. i had her sleep propped up, took her to the drs plenty and he said she is just fine.
|

replied March 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
tinkinpink84 wrote:
jordynne was congested like almsot the first month of her life. they just gave me saline drops and a booger sucker, she was way worse at night and early morning then during the day. i had her sleep propped up, took her to the drs plenty and he said she is just fine.

yeah they are saline drops and you just use the sucker that you got from the hosp.

i took amelia like a 100 times thinking that there was something wrong with her and it was really nothing...she still worries me but there isnt' anything wrong.

oh and yeah you can get them in walmart...normally in the infant section....that is were i found them...and they have lasted me forever....oh and just a warning....she will not like it. lol oh and amelia makes the funniest faces becase she can taiste it. its so darling.
|