Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

'flap' Inside Throat, At Base of Tongue?

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hello all,

am pretty worried bout a recent discovery I made.

I am a non-smoker with no asthma or problems like that.

Recently, my throat felt very uncomfortable (like there was something stuck in it!)

thought it was just phlegm but prolonged coughing just did not clear it!

Ran my fingers along my tongue down to the very base of it (inside my throat) and discovered a circular shaped flap that is hanging in the middle of the tunnel in my throat.

Can someone give me any advice on this? Or if anyone has had it before - any idea what it could be?

Thanks in advance,

brian
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper guest26679
|

replied February 12th, 2004
Experienced User
There is a flap in your throat that closes off access to your lungs when you swallow preventing food and fluid from going into your lungs. Maybe that is what you are feeling.
|

User Profile
Advanced Support Team
Brian...I just ran my finger down my throat....I feel that also!!

~sara~
|

Thanks For the Replies...
Thanks for your input!!

It made me feel relieved...

...But also a bit naive for thinking it was anything serious when it was always there! Embarassed

but guess it's because i've had a bad cough and stuff this week.

Cheers again!

Much appreciated!

Brian Wink
|

User Profile
Advanced Support Team
Haha I felt kinda dumb sticking my finger down my throat! But I never knew it was there either!

~sara~
|

replied April 16th, 2009
Everything except the name
I made that discovery as a third grader while holding a flash light in order to help the nurse check my friends throat. I had never been aware of this and was extremely confused. I tried to see it again and then lookedbforbthe same thing in my throat. It is a flap to close of passage to the wind pipe/lungs when consuming solids and liquids rather that a gas. If you have ever had food slide before you could make the choice of when to swallow/gulp, which is a very natural thing that most people don't need to think about. It's like breathing. Sometimes if you are moving quickly or perhaps running in a flight of stairs, you might hold tour breath for a few seconds with out realizing it until you slow down or stop. By then you most likely only noticed because your are breathing heavily. Now if you have ever experienced food or often times a pill ready to go but already on it's way down, you may have attempted to get it back up or Automatically sent it down fast before it couldbgey stuck. My mom used tell me(when sea weed would take my sushivbwforw I could even finish chewing, ice slipping or mac n cheese), that my food or medacinr be sometimes water was "going down the wrong way." this is in fact what the item of consumtion is at least 'trying' to do. An annoying pain that may stay in your throat andvsometomes chest if it is a pill that went down. If you have ever tried to eat something that fit in your mouth just fine but was to big to chew might me slow and uncomfortable while it goes down. The pain CEO
these sinerios is felt when that small flap attemps to catch the wrong thing and simply direct it down the correct pasage way. Why have you never been aware of it's existence? Because most people don't know it's there. If you can stand the feeling of stretching your down out and down as far as it will go, you may be able to see it quite well for a few seconds. It pretty mug moves the opposite way as your tongue. Attached to the same area but in order to be effective, it need to have mostly just reactive movements. Otherwis you would be concentrating on which way it needed to go everytime you consumed anything! If end up taking a look,you are going to be trying to locate a rather thick flap that may be pinkish or yellow along with the thin vanes. It will appear to be curved up forwards the roof of your mouth when you are looking( It goes down when it need to but keeps it's shape and simply wool be curved that other way). It might look to be about an in in height from what you will be able to see.
|

replied June 10th, 2011
throat flap
I started to feel the same flap a couple weeks ago. My throat has been dry lately too but no coughing. Why does my flap bother me now? And I thought I was the only one who noticed the flap... I'm glad other people do too Smile.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Murray Grossan
User Profile
Dr. Srinivas Singaram