Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Eating Baby Powder (Page 1)

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
okay i am 18 and i have an addiction to eating baby powder i love to buy the lavender baby johnson powder i have tried to stop but i just cant it taste so good and it makes me feel really good . i dont know y and i dont eat as much my family says that i am losing alot of weight i mean i am skinny but i kinda always been like that with more meet and more ass but thats all good also i find that for my age i have small breast and small breast do not run in my family but anyways about the baby powder could it prevent me from having kids . i would go through one bottle like every day and a half or if i am home all day one day and i like it after i eat or after i smoke when i wake up and b 4 i go to bed . some PLEASE HELP ME GIVE ME SOME ADVICE. i am trying to quit eating the powder and smoking . DO I HAVE AN EATING DISORDER?????? how could i stop eating it and when i do what should i do to prevent me from going back rite not as i speak i want it . BABYMAMA18
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper babymama_18
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
ah i forget the name of that where you eat things that are non edible . but yeah that is definately a problem, i would go to your dr and get checked out. Some pregnant women get that and crave weird things like dirt and such , can also mean your anemic. definately have a talk with your dr about that. that could have serious health affects. im not sure what kind but im sure some are involved.
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
It sounds like pica, I think that's the name of the disorder. You start craving weird stuff like dirt or chalk because your body is lacking nutrients. You should definitely see your doctor about it and get some blood tests run.
|
Users who thank cln1812 for this post: Fairy Godmother 

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
cln1812 wrote:
It sounds like pica, I think that's the name of the disorder. You start craving weird stuff like dirt or chalk because your body is lacking nutrients. You should definitely see your doctor about it and get some blood tests run.

ah i knew it begain witha p just couldnt remember what it was. that is it hehe thanks Smile
|

replied February 12th, 2008
PICA
I have the same disorder and have had it since I was 5. I eat chalk, dry wall, baby powder, and pumice stones. I need to get help as well. Baby Powder causes cancer, tumors, and messes up our filter systems. It's more serious then u think. Ur 18 and younger so get it fixed now. I'm 21 and just can't stop.
|

replied March 4th, 2008
babymama_18, I commend you for reaching out now. It's a really hard topic to open up about, but you're headed in the right direction.
|

replied August 7th, 2008
EATING BABY POWDER
I AM 24 I CAN NOT STOP EATING BABY POWDER. I LOVE IT, IT IS SAD BUT SO GOOD. WHAT IS REALLY freaky IS THAT I AM anemic TOO. AND I CRAVE THIS I HAVE NOT WENT TO THE DOCTOR BECAUSE I NEED IT TO LEAVE. I CRAVE THE SMELL AND TASTE, I WISH I COULD FILL UP A BATH TUB WITH NOTHING BUT BABY POWDER AND JUST SWIM IN IT ALL DAY OR HAVE A BABY POWDER FIGHT WITH NOTHING BUT BABY POWDER IN THE AIR SO THICK YOU CAN NOT EVEN SEE EACH OTHER. I REALLY NEED HELP I THINK I AM OBSESSED WITH IT.

PLEASE IF YOU HAVE inforamiton ANY OUT THERE THAT COULD HELP US PLEASE SHARE.

P.S. DO YOU THINK JOHNSON&JOHNSON COULD MAKE A EAT--ABLE SUBSTANCE THAT WE COULD USE FOR OUR ADDICTION.
|

replied April 17th, 2011
I MY SELF LOVE BABY POWDER I CANT STOP EATING IT AND I TOO AM anemic BECAUSE I NOT TOO LONG HAD A BABY (4 WEEKS AGO) AND I LOST A LOT OF BLOOD AND HAD TO STAY IN HOSPITAL FOR 1 WEEK BEFORE I LEFT THE DR GIVE ME SOME IRON TABLETS BUT WHEN IF FINISH I STARTED CRAVING BABY POWDER(I USED TO EAT WHEN I WAS PREGNANT TOO) AND I TOO WAS WONDERING IF JOHNSONS COULD MAKE SOMETHING EATABLE THAT TASTE JUST LIKE IT, I WANT TO STOP I JUST DONT KNOW HOW. HELP ME PLEASE ANYONE.
|

replied November 12th, 2011
I have this exact same problem. But i never know it was a eating disorder. I also recently had a baby and i just can stop eating the baby powder and ice. I literally pour the baby powder down my throat. And I can go through a wnhole bag of ice with in a few hours. Its really sad. My family and friends have to hide the baby powder from me. And if i dont get it I tend to get very very upset with them. I also try not to eat it in front of my kids cause i dont want them to follow me... I need help as well....~!!!! P.s. also lost alot of blood when i had my baby and was given iron pills so there alot we have in common when it come to this problem.
|

replied November 12th, 2011
I have this exact same problem. But i never know it was a eating disorder. I also recently had a baby and i just can stop eating the baby powder and ice. I literally pour the baby powder down my throat. And I can go through a wnhole bag of ice with in a few hours. Its really sad. My family and friends have to hide the baby powder from me. And if i dont get it I tend to get very very upset with them. I also try not to eat it in front of my kids cause i dont want them to follow me... I need help as well....~!!!! P.s. also lost alot of blood when i had my baby and was given iron pills so there alot we have in common when it come to this problem.
|

replied April 17th, 2011
I MY SELF LOVE BABY POWDER I CANT STOP EATING IT AND I TOO AM anemic BECAUSE I NOT TOO LONG HAD A BABY (4 WEEKS AGO) AND I LOST A LOT OF BLOOD AND HAD TO STAY IN HOSPITAL FOR 1 WEEK BEFORE I LEFT THE DR GIVE ME SOME IRON TABLETS BUT WHEN IF FINISH I STARTED CRAVING BABY POWDER(I USED TO EAT WHEN I WAS PREGNANT TOO) AND I TOO WAS WONDERING IF JOHNSONS COULD MAKE SOMETHING EATABLE THAT TASTE JUST LIKE IT, I WANT TO STOP I JUST DONT KNOW HOW. HELP ME PLEASE ANYONE.
|

replied July 21st, 2011
baby powder
Hi,
I am amazed by reading your confession as I suffer from the same thing. I often imagine swimming in a tub full of baby powder. It is actually a very calming thought for me.
Did you find out any further information on your condition. I think it may help me as well.
|

replied September 10th, 2008
Just Good.
I have been eating baby powder for as long as I can remember. I always thought it was weird but I couldn't help but to eat it. It is really really good. And when I don't eat it, it's like i drag, or I can't function or something. I carry a bottle in my purse, one in my glove compartment, 2 in my desk drawers @ wrk. The huge bottles at that. I just can't stop. I don't even want to mention how many I have in my house. I don't know how to stop. I ate the chalk for a very long time then started on the powder. The only time I can remember stopping was when I was pregnant with my son. 9 1/2 Long months I waited. Then received like 20 bottles for my son at my babyshower.

It's always around me and sooooo good to me.

What can happen to my body being that I have been eating it for so long?
|

replied October 7th, 2008
Applying powder to baby's bum
Could applying baby powder to a baby's bum cause cancer too???
|

replied December 16th, 2008
I want to stop
I love baby powder so well. I go though about 9 bottles a week. My husband is starting to question me about it, because I buy so much and in a week it's gone. My children have seen me eat it. I need help to control it. Last night while my husband was at work I sit in bed and ate 2 bowls full. Help Someone.
|

replied January 28th, 2009
baby powder
Oh my gosh, I never knew so many people had the same problem as me:) I started when I was about 5, craving dirt, but I rarely could find the right kind of dirt I craved. I felt desperate, then I discovered chalk, it was irresistible, and then I discovered baby powder which was even better. And, I found out a few months ago that I'm anemic. I'm now 18 and still eat baby powder, I love it, I don't think I ever wanna quit.

And, btw, I've even had the same tub full of baby powder fantasy for years!Very Happy
|

replied March 22nd, 2009
Baby Powder
I am 25 and eating powder has been my addition for the last 15 years. I first began with the original shower to shower and when they stopped making that I went to Walgreens version, it is something that I crave, I have tried to stop,but when I do I crave it like food. At this point I don't know what to do.
|

replied March 28th, 2009
my daughter eats chalk too
i was reading all your posts i have been really worried about my daughter who is 2 she eats chalk dirt dust grit etc!!! and i cannot stop her do you think she has this disorder pica which i have never ever heard of?????
|

replied July 26th, 2011
PICA
Iwas diagnosed with PICA when I found out I was so anemic that I had to have an iron/blood transfusion. It helped me but it hasnt gone away. I dont eat baby powder but I do eat paper towels and paper bags from the grocery store. I was sent sent to a Hemetologist for this problem. With me it is like I said still with me my I fight it all the time...I hope this helps..PICA is a very difficult thing to deal with....
|

replied April 11th, 2009
Chalk
I started craving for chalkboard chalk late in January and i dnt no why :S I really wanna stop eating the crap but it tastes soo gd and wehn i cant have it i feel like im gunna go crazy! I always steal like a whole bunch of pieces from skwl and i must eat like 9 sticks every week. what can happen to my body if i keep this up ?
|

replied April 22nd, 2009
are we killing ourselves? i have the same problem but i didn't know it's sooo serious i'm gona quit right now!! i don't eat it, i sniff it and i get a weird flu everyday! help i don't want to die!!
|

User Profile
replied April 22nd, 2009
Experienced User
Eating these things can cause sever anemia, your body is in need of vitamins and minerals this is why your craving these things. Those of you who eat this stuff need to see a dr and need to stop eating it.
JBPADDICT: I found this information on inhaling baby powder, "Frequent inhalation of talc has been linked to lung cancer, especially in those that mine talc".
|

replied May 20th, 2009
Me 2
Thank god that i found this website, i use to think that i was alone. i've never really been an addict of babypowder, though i've tried it. It was awsome at one time, but soon lost it's taste. Now i crave, catlitter, only the fresh kind right out the bag, it must be a certain brand. I eat styrofoam, chalk dust, defrost from the freezer, i think it's the best ice out there, and dry wall. I don't know what's wrong with me. Can it kill me. I seriously have cravings for these things. Please help. My family calls me crazy. I say NEVER
|

replied March 8th, 2012
Hi, I eat drywall n parts of a very used keln lik w.e its made out of, i thnk its clay. i jus started wif the clay thng i try to make surei spit it out but most times i dont. i love eating dry wall thts very compact n hard. i love chewing it not so much swallowing it. i jus get a strong craving not many ppl knw. i told my gf she doesnt care much. im 16 n will be 17 in a month or so. ive been eatong drywall since i was about 11, please help mee
|

replied April 26th, 2013
U should really get help from a doctor ur not crazy but u could really hurt urself by doing these its like being addicted to heroine or crack u can try eating hard candy or real foods that remind u of the weird ones ur eating and staying active to keep ur mind off the unedible foods until u get help u should tell ur family being crazy runs n the family n jus ask them to help u through this difficult time n ur life and that u need all the support that u can get I hope some of this can come to u as help. Please get help to I kno I don't kno u but this is a serious problem u could have lung problems stomach problems respitiry problems and many others good luck and best wishes
|

replied May 23rd, 2009
stop eating the baby powder
I for years ate baby powder I am 38yrs old now and still crave it but stopped in my Jr high school age. Well now I am on dailysis 3 times aweek it seems my kidneys could not adjust to the baby powder, so I suggest you all get help before you are like me.
|

replied March 31st, 2011
Omg... are you on dailysis from eating baby powder? Is that what your dr told you?
|

replied May 27th, 2009
wow
wow i never knew that so many people had these same cravings.i am 19 will be 20 soon and i have been tempted to eat chalk and dirt but never have but, i am addicted to baby powder. i mean i crave it when i wake up, when im upset, when im bored, and i actually get cranky when i dont have it for a long time. i really wanna cry because i thought i was alone but now that i know im not maybe it will be easier to address the problem and get help thanks alot everyone for being so honest and sharing!Smile
|

replied June 1st, 2009
I too crave baby powder, I don't eat nearly as much as the folks here have shared maybe just a squirt in my mouth twice a day and I don't inhale it anymore because that certainly was infecting my breathing. I can keep a bottle for about a month. I don't like it sometimes because of the dry taste it leaves in my mouth but I always go back. Looking at the lines in my carpet after it has been vacummed gives me the biggest craving. I have even used it in intimate foreplay.
|