Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Intestinal Disorders Forum

Pain under right rib: stones, gas, or stomach ulcer???

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
I have had a very mild, intermitent pain or pressure under my right rib for the past couple of days. It has been accompanied by an increase in gas. It is not the "acute attack" as with gallstones, but is in that area, and there is an occassional pain in the back around the same area. Stools have been slightly loose, but otherwise normal. Normal appetite, no fever. Not sure what to think, and I admit to being more paranoid after my hospital visit for an appendicitis that turned out to be gastroentiritis (3 or 4 months ago). Could it be a very small gallstone having a mild reaction, or just simply gas? Also, I had been going to a chiropractor regularly for the past year and have stopped because of insurance problems, so could that be a factor as well? Pain has not seemed to get much worse, just has been on and off for a few days. Stomach ulcer? Again, no acute, sharp pains, more like a muscle ache or pressure. Thanks, any help or advice would be great.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied March 21st, 2007
Intestinal Disorders Answer A2455
According to the description of your experience (“intermittent pain or pressure under my right rib”) it is difficult to diagnose. Any type of gallstone can cause severe pain (billiary colic), no matter if it is small or large. Gallbladder stones can be seen only with an ultrasound scan. Pain from a stomach ulcer is not as severe as the pain experienced during gallstones (except in cases of ulcer-complications). Stomach ulcer pain is constant. Stomach ulcers can be diagnosed only via gastroscopy.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Intestinal Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.