Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

Period After Partial Hysterectomy (Page 1)

Must Read
Is ovarian cancer connected with ovarian cysts? What types of ovarian cancer do doctors diagnose? Get the basic facts on ovarian cancer here....
Some women are at higher risk of developing ovarian cancer. Who is in the highest risk group and what can you do to reduce risk of ovarian cancer?...
Ovarian cancer symptoms can be vague or caused by many other conditions. Learn what to look for and know when to seek help for ovarian cancer here....
I am 37 years old and a year and a half ago I had a partial hysterectomy because of severe anemia and fibroids. Well since the surgery I have noticed some spotting some months and more recently a near full period. Well I went to my normal GYN and she told me that the doctor that performed the partial hysterectomy left part of my uterus or the lining or whatever which is causing mini periods. I thought all that was supposed to be left was my ovaries. Is this common for a doctor to do this and NOT even mention this to the patient? After all the purpose of the surgery was to stop my menstrual cycle because of my anemia. Please help. I am considering legal action. And I am scared. I do not want to under go another surgery but my anemia is severe and I feel helpless. I can not believe this is not over. Crying or Very sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Kia
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2007
Community Volunteer
the fact you know that you had a partial hysterectomy means you were told.

in a partial hyst the cervix and a very small amount of the lower part of the uterus are left behind.
it is possible for there to be some endometrial tissue left in this "pocket" and this can be effected by the hormones produced by the ovaries.

A complete hysterectomy is when the entire uterus and cervix is removed and the top of the vagina is sewn together as a "vaginal cuff".

You really should have seen your surgeon about this when it was just some spotting as it may have been "cured" at that point by a simple silver nitrate treatment.

it sounds as if the endo tissue has now grown more - possibly extending into the cervix.

your surgeon should be able to put it right.

for the record removal of the ovaries is nothing to do with a hyst - not even a complete hyst.
removal of the ovaries is an oophrectomy (bi-lateral oophrectomy is when both are removed).
salpingectomy is removal of the tubes.
the procedure you are thinking of - where the uterus, ovaries and tubes are removed is a hysterectomy (complete or partial) with a bi-lateral salpingo-oophrectomy.
|

replied February 14th, 2013
Finally...somebody that knows what a partial and complete mean. I had total last Tuesday....leaving the ovaries. Everybody kept telling me that this was a total. I had my surgery on the 4th of this month....released on the 9th and now it's the 14th. Why am I still so tired? I can't do more than half an hour of anything and I have to lie down. Of course my belly is still sore from the initial surgery but I feel like I don't have an ounce of energy. Being a single (widowed) mom doesn't make this any easier. Any idea's? I'd really appreciate it.
|

replied February 14th, 2013
Finally...somebody that knows what a partial and complete mean. I had total last Tuesday....leaving the ovaries. Everybody kept telling me that this was a total. I had my surgery on the 4th of this month....released on the 9th and now it's the 14th. Why am I still so tired? I can't do more than half an hour of anything and I have to lie down. Of course my belly is still sore from the initial surgery but I feel like I don't have an ounce of energy. Being a single (widowed) mom doesn't make this any easier. Any idea's? I'd really appreciate it.
|

replied March 7th, 2007
Period After a Partial Hysterectomy
okay......Of course I was told that it was a Partial hysterectomy. What I was not told was that I could possibly bleed or have a menstrual cycle almost 2 years later. The whole point of the surgery was to stop me from having a period due to severe anemia. Confused

And the initial spotting was dark and it was very minimal. I didn't realize that it was blood. Believe me, I would have gone to the doctor. But there was no cramping or pain and it did not happen often so I didn't pay it much attention.

And I understand that the cervix is left behind in a Subtotal Hysterectomy. The cervix is not my concern. The cervix does not cause a menstrual cycle or bleeding. And if it is just a part of endometrium tissue I am not very concerned about that either. I know there are procedures for that. But if it's not just tissue but a part of the upper uterus was in fact left behind which is what an ultrasound and my normal gyn said, there is a problem. Doctors, especially surgeons are not perfect and can make mistakes sometimes.

I am hoping that it is just something like a part of lining or something like that. And I am hoping that a DNC can fix whatever is causing the bleeding.
|

replied January 30th, 2012
see im in the same boat excepot i was told if u keep your CERVIX u have a 20% chance of still bleeding. and i do clots and all. im pissed as hell. bc i wasnt told that till i called freaking out bc i was bleeding. they toldme it took time fore tissue to fall out and some other stuff. so ive had light spotting and heavey spotting. but i dunno what to do except have my cervix removed. but i dont really wanna do any more surgerys
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Re: Period After a Partial Hysterectomy
LouiseV37 wrote:
What I was not told was that I could possibly bleed or have a menstrual cycle almost 2 years later.
because it is an uncommon occurence.
it certainly does not happen to many people and many "general" gyn won't have experienced it first hand".
But the fact remains it does happen, and you appear to be in that unlucky minority.

Quote:
The cervix does not cause a menstrual cycle or bleeding.

However, the endo tissue that can be left behind can and does grow in the cervix.
and this can look just like a regular period.
I've been there and while the reason behind mine is vastly different I have gained a wealth of information on the topic.

Quote:
But if it's not just tissue but a part of the upper uterus was in fact left behind which is what an ultrasound and my normal gyn said, there is a problem.

Part of the lower uterus is left behind in a partial. This is because it is easy and less traumatic to cut through the uterus wall than it is to try and separate the cervix from the uterus wall.
hence typically a small "pocket" of uterus is left behind.

Quote:
Doctors, especially surgeons are not perfect and can make mistakes sometimes.

and don't I know it.

Quote:
And I am hoping that a DNC can fix whatever is causing the bleeding.
a d&c (dilation and cutterage) won't be for you.
you do not have a uterus that they can fit the required tools into.

you need first to find out the genuine cause. Is it some endo tissue grown into the cervix or is it something else.
Then you need to get the surgeon to discuss your options with you and pick one that is right for you.
|

replied March 8th, 2007
Period After Partial Hysterectomy
Thanks for the information. You have been helpful. I go to the doctor in 2 weeks. I will let you know the outcome.
|

User Profile
replied March 8th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Good luck and I hope it's something small and simple to fix Wink
|

replied March 22nd, 2007
Period After Partial Hysterectomy
I went to the surgeon that performed the surgery and he says that it is not lining that is causing the bleeding but my cervix. He did not examine me and after looking at the ultrasound that said that there was some lining still there he said the pathologist did not know what they were talking about. Have you ever heard of this? I am really confused. Confused
|

replied June 9th, 2007
I see this was posted in March but I am just surfing the net now trying to find out what is wrong with me.
I had a partial hysterectomy 9 years ago. My doctor told me he left the cervix and ovaries although he did remove a cyst on one of my ovaries. Well I have been spotting on and off for a few years now and my doctor has since retired and I found a new one that told me it was my cervix that bled occassionaly. I always wondered how you could bleed without a uterus. Well this month it was quite heavy and a brownish colour and lasted a couple days, just like a period would. I have been searching the net for years to finally find someone that has the same thing as I do and I have talked to others that have had partials and nobody has ever had any bleeding. But I think I am feeling a bit more at ease now after reading your story. I really don't like going to my gyn. as she is always in a rush and makes me feel foolish for asking questions.
Anyhow it is nice to finally hear somebody that has what I do.
Thanks.
|

replied July 31st, 2007
Spotting After Partial Hysterectomy
I had my partial hysterectomy a year ago after the birth of my son. It was an emergency hysterectomy and part of my uterus was left (a small part). I have been have mini periods also. This does not happen every month but when it does it is brown discharge for a day or two. My doctors says this is normal after a partial hysterectomy following birth.
|

replied May 18th, 2008
i had a hysterectomy 8 weeks ago and have already had two mini periods.i asked my gyn before surgery if i would have these and she said no.i am making an apointment first thing next week to see what we can do.i cannot believe i went through all of this and still have monthly pain, bloating and irritability and bleeding,(which lasts by the way for six to seven days)just like before.i was really looking forward to a life without this, i really hope something simple can be done.. i will keep you posted..
|

replied May 27th, 2008
getting frustrated after part. hysterectomy
I had a part. hysterectomy on march 3, 2008. I was so excited that I was getting this done because of years of blood clots the size of a dollar, going thru a bag of 54 pads and 1 box of 44 super plus tampons in a week and a half. I couldn't wait!!! After I got the procedure done, I have been spotting and sometimes bright red! I was getting very frustrated to say the least! Mad I couldn't understand why I was still getting a period. I called the doctors office to see if I was crazy. The nurse told me it can be normal and only to worry if it is bright red for a couple of days. I am not sure if it is from working out too hard or from lifting heavy things or what!! The biopsy from the uterus showed I had this thing called adnomiosis or something like that. The surgeon said that my uterus was growing into my muscles or something like that. maybe it has to do with that? I have no clue. My aunt had a partial done, and she never had any problems of blood! If anyone had this let me know!!! VERY CONFUSED WHY THIS IS HAPPENING!!!
|

replied June 2nd, 2008
Spotting after my partial hysterectomy
I am 43 and had a partial hyst. last year and two days ago I started spotting w/blood clots and I was really surprised and worried. When I got the hyst. my doctor told me I would never have a period again and I'm having one with all the cramps that go with it. I got scared and went to the doctor today and he told me that this happens sometimes and if it keeps happening then he can use medicine to burn it to make it stop. He did a ultra sound and saw all the blood. I just think it's weird. He did a pap test to make sure nothing else is going on too. I'm glad it was nothing else because my family and friends were telling me it could be all kinds of things. Needless to say I am relieved, but I didn't want periods anymore, although, the good thing is that he can fix it with medicine.
|

replied July 23rd, 2008
hi ladies.. i have since went to my doctor about my bleeding post hysterectomy(read my earlier post)at the appointment she put me right up on the bed and she burned the lining inside. it did not hurt , just uncomfortable.she also took some ultrasounds to see if i was internally bleeding from surgery .for some reason my ovaries are covered in blood so i am going through more tests.. but since she burned my lining i do not bleed anymore,and it is great!!!!!!!!!!! this is the way it is suppose to be.so ladies the bleeding is not normal, the doctor has left lining on your cervix and it is easily burned off in their office.so please go and talk to them about this, it is not fair to go through what we went through to still bleed when it is all over.. so good luck
|

replied August 22nd, 2011
You had a complete Hysterectony? Are you sure because if you did then why would you have your Ovaries. I myself and others that I know that have had a Complete Hysterectomy everytyhing was taken out neither one of us have our ovaries nomore. If I was you I would double check and make sure it wasn't a partial that you got.
|

replied August 9th, 2008
Passing large bright red clots after surgery a year ago.
One year ago this month I had a hysterectomy (told it was called a partial). I had many large fibroids and was bleeding heavily and in a lot of pain. The doctor told me some have a light period afterwards. I had to have a transfusion because of the loss of blood. There was more than what he could see on the ultrasound and ended up having to take EVERYTHING (uterus, lining & cervix completely) but my ovaries were fine so he left them. It has been explained to me that my vaginal area is sealed and is much like a sock now. I had complications for months, every time I cleaned my house or exercised I would begin to bleed. I can't tell you how many times I had the silver nitrate used on me. After a while I got tired of the constant doctor visits and just told myself to take some iron pills and deal with it. But here I am passing large clots, told I can't do ANYTHING, and no one can figure out where the blood is coming from. They know it's vaginal, but there is nothing on the wall or seal to indicate a problem. I'm stumped, feel like I did before the hysterectomy, anemic, and have stumped the doctors (which does not make me feel good about the situation).
|

replied January 1st, 2009
yikes!
I want to say my heart goes out to all of you suffering. I had a partial hysterectomy two weeks ago and really need to hear some success stories. My ovaries and cervix were left, upon my request because I read that removing the cervix can have negative impact on your sex life and being 35 I wasn't ready to take that chance. I have scoured the net for good things about having a hysto and can't find anything. I was suffering from bad Endometriosis and I also have Interstitial Cystitis and couldn't take the pain anymore. I am recovering well, there was zero bleeding after surgery, which really surprised me. After reading all your posts I am really afraid that I made the wrong decision. Has anyone had a hysterectomy and is actually feeling better?
|

replied April 11th, 2012
I had a partial in Dec of 2005 and up to last night had no problems at all. This morning I woke up and had a spot of blood in panties. I was worried and found this site on line. I am hoping that it was a one time thing. I have had no issues what so ever other than last night and dreams of course. smile. I am always dreaming that I have dreamed on several occasions that I am having a period again which I am guessing because it was so traumatic for me. I hope this helps you Ischgebibbel. I think I have read earlier up that someone had the hysterectomy a lot longer than I and started bleeding I think it was like 9 years or something, so here is hoping that does not happen to me or you and everyone else finds help to put an end to this nightmare after going through an invasive procedure to end the period and issues that go along with it.
|

replied May 6th, 2012
Partial hysterectomy
I am going to have partial hysterectomy in August. Reading this forum scared me! I am having this due to several issues. Unlike most people I am not having regular periods and when I do it is painful and clotty. What are some of the side effects you have encountered?

Thank you
|

replied June 25th, 2012
you will be ok
First off im so glad that my procedure warranted removing everthing accept one overy, its been a year and 8 months, the only reason im on this site is breast tenderness and uber wench mode. Meaning im sure that that lonely lefty ovary is getting even for taking her pals away( right ovary,cervics, and uterus) and i am most definetely experiencing PMS. Other then that ,alls well down south, the sex is still great,as your mind controls what goes on and my only concern was production of moisture in" The Zone" but i was reassured that THAT particular moisture is controled by a seperate zone down there,and so ive suffered None,nor has my bf in that department. I am annoyed at being annoyed lol and ive only noticed it this past month . So ,YES! PMS can occur without cycle warning as we had in the past ,but nothing you cant accept as temporary and even i had to revisit this site to double check
|

replied May 6th, 2012
Partial hysterectomy
I am going to have partial hysterectomy in August. Reading this forum scared me! I am having this due to several issues. Unlike most people I am not having regular periods and when I do it is painful and clotty. What are some of the side effects you have encountered?

Thank you
|

replied April 11th, 2012
replying to Ischgebibbel
I had a partial in Dec of 2005 and up to last night had no problems at all. This morning I woke up and had a spot of blood in panties. I was worried and found this site on line. I am hoping that it was a one time thing. I have had no issues what so ever other than last night and dreams of course. smile. I am always dreaming that I have dreamed on several occasions that I am having a period again which I am guessing because it was so traumatic for me. I hope this helps you Ischgebibbel. I think I have read earlier up that someone had the hysterectomy a lot longer than I and started bleeding I think it was like 9 years or something, so here is hoping that does not happen to me or you and everyone else finds help to put an end to this nightmare after going through an invasive procedure to end the period and issues that go along with it.
|

replied January 17th, 2009
Post Hysterectomy
I had a hysterectomy, leaving my ovaries and cervix in August 2008 due to fibroids. I had no bleeding after surgery which was great however 8 weeks post surgery I now have monthly mini periods accompanied by breast pain, headaches and cramp like pain! I can't believe it, although my surgeon did tell me that I could suffer from PMT etc I wasn't expecting to continue to have periods! I haven't gone to my own GP about this but was wondering if I should. Has anyone any advise? Other than that I am fine and got over the surgery fairly well. I just need to loose some excess weight and get fit again
|

replied May 5th, 2009
Post Hysterectomy
I am 45 & I had a partial hysterectomy 18 months ago & my Doctor DID tell me I would experience all the regular symptoms of my period, just without the bleeding. I started to spot dark brown yesterday with typical cramping. After reading all this I'm not too concerned, but will see a new Dr. since I have moved across the country. The problems I had due to the giant fibroid inside me for years were far worse than a little spotting. I was happy that I would not get my period after the surgery, but this should NOT be the deciding factor for anyone considering this surgery.
|

replied May 13th, 2009
post hysterectomy
In 2006 I was 42yrs old and I had a a partial hysterectomy and my gyn who did the surgery told me I would have all the menstrual symptoms. A couple of months later I started spotting dark blood and then every month til now I have a light period for about 4 days. I told my gyn and he said because of my ovary thats left and asked me if I wanted to have it removed and I told him no because 3 months after the partial hyst. I developed diabetes and I am through with surgeries its too risky therefore, I just deal with the periods but, I find that taking herbs such as,dandelion,wild yam,and acidophilus vitamins help ease the symptons and the period is almost cease,and light if any pms.
|

replied May 14th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I think this is wonderful that it is working for you....Each person has a different story to tell which helps so many of us....Thanks for yours...

Caroline
|

replied May 15th, 2009
I am 3.5 years post-subtotal hysterectomy and I STILL get the once a month 'spotting' and I've also had not one...but 6 silver-nitrate applications on my remaining cervix to stop the bleeding, but to no avail.

I've been just dealing with the fact that this might be a normal thing for some women and maybe it's just a sign that I'm NOT menopausal (I'm 40 years old) and that all things are normal (except for the dreaded bleeding once a month!)
|