Medical Questions > Nutrition > Diet Pills Forum

If Your Thinking About Adderall..think Again!

User Profile
Hey everyone,
I just want to warn you all about the terrible side effects that come along with taking adderall. I started taking it to focus more in school, since it is an ADD pill (perscription) however i do not have add. I noticed that my appetite was decreasing, and i was prettty happy about that as well. I started taking it everday, and it literally changed the way i acted. First off, im hardly eating, which is very unhealthy and my mood swings are rediculous. I started to feel depressed when bored, and when it would wear off, i would have panic attacks. I flip out on anyone near me, and cry hysterically. It usually happens when i get home from school which is unfortunate for my family. Yesterday, i took 30mg XR adderall and coming off it was horrible, the worst panic attack yet. I was thrwoing everything in my room, screaming, punching things..and hysterically crying for no reaosn. Its a terrible feeling of anxiety and fustration that im not able to control. Many girls (and guys too) think adderall is a "miracle weight loss pill" but it TRULY IS NOT! Sure, you do lose weight.. but it'll all come back..and more of it too! The side effects are too much of a price to pay to lose weight. I often get depressed, and very anti social. I would rather do work or something to keep me occupied then hang out and have fun with my friends. Honestly, its not worth it.. even though they are cheap and easy to get, they are not good at all. It leads to addiction, and other severe problems. When i dont take adderall, i sleep in my room all day and cry. It takes control of people, and its always important for YOU to be incontrol of YOUR body. Please dont make the same mistake i did. If you want to lose weight and feel you need to be on a pill, take something that wont give you these effects. If you want to know more about the dangers of adderall go to the Addiction and Recovery forum.

Hope i helped.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2008
I'm completely in agreement with this. Honestly, to start with, diet pills are a bunch of CRAP. I mean, think about it, if diet pills worked, then no one would be overweight, and diet pill companies wouldn't be STEALING billions of dollars from ignorant consumers.

As for Adderall, YES. I DO have ADHD, but when I ran out because I couldn't see the doctor soon enough, the withdrawal was HORRIBLE. I was depressed, exhausted, completely unfocussed, and just generally lacking in motivation.

PLEASE reconsider your health before you decide to take Adderall as some "weight loss" gimmick. To people out there- I know you're impatient and just want this weight to be gone "right now" but think about it: at what cost? And don't even say you'd rather lose years off your life (along with many other side effects, including social relationships and overall happiness) in order to be thinner. Re-evaluate the reason you're thinking you need to lost weight in the first place!
|

replied April 7th, 2011
My experience with Adderall/Wellbutrin
I did not know a side effect of Adderall was long term weight gain!!! I've been on Addy for about....6 years now. I am now 19. I also ave Wellbutrin for depression. Adderall XR 30mg and Wellbutrin SR 300mg. I take both daily. I was aware of the immediate weight loss. I am so pissed off because I did not know that you gain all the weight back plus more!!! SO FREAKIN MAD. Anyways....I was looking for a diet pill today and decided to wait till my appt. tomorrow to ask my doc questions. I can't believe this was omitted from me Sad. I have been trying to loose weight. for some people out there, I would like to share my experience with you. I was diagnosed with ADHD or ADD-not sure which one-as well as depression when I was 12/13. (Its crazy I actually started the meds the day after my 13th b-day. I was so mad). Since i've been on the meds, I excelled in high school (with regular consumption of my meds). Now that I am away at college, I haven't been taking them everyday like prescribed. I can tell the difference in just about everything I do. Yesterday when I took my meds, I was on point with everything. Appointment scheduling, homework, cleaning my room and all that good stuff. I am more vibrant when I take them, it brings my personality out and I love how I feel. I guarantee if I take my meds on a rainy day, I would be the happiest person of the day. Today, I took my meds but I don't really feel like doing anything. I couldn't sleep last night and these meds will not let me catch a nap this early in the day. (Adderall XR 30mg. lasts up to 8 hours). On a day I do not take my meds, my thoughts are everywhere and I cannot focus on one thing. I guess I could explain it like this.... Without the meds, my whole life is spinning around the top of my head and its messy--this is where my depression worsens. When I do take my meds, its like the world is in order (around me-as it should be) and I am walking through my day so smoothly. I get sooooo much done with the meds. I used to hate the thought of medications and change. I still do not take birth control (any form) because I wish not to add extra toxins to my body--plus I feel no need. My life was extremely rough when I was young and I have come to dislike change. I still use the same hair grease and shampoo & conditioner that i've used since I was a little girl. I will NEVER change these things. Another feeling I have when I take the pills is OCD. I think with or without the meds, I have OCD to some degree. I love to talk about my experience with my meds because it changed my life. However... Since I have not been taking my meds regularly in college, I was placed on academic probation for my second semester of college. Now that I am back on top of my game--taking meds--I have feelings of anxiety, extreme OCD, and am quite frequently unable to focus on my homework. I never have to push myself to take care of my responsibilities when I am on my meds... it is as though I just do it. I honestly would either be a failure or close to it if it was not for my meds. I don't feel too much of an addiction to them, its more like a part of my life. I wake up and grab my drink from the night before and gulp down a swig, toss the pills in my throat, take another swig and simply swallow them. Lately, I have not been eating much and my tummy is always hungry. Maybe Adderall (or Wellbutrin) intercepts the message my tummy tries to send my brain. When it hits about 4 or 5 p.m., I grab a meal. I have been eating salads, many fruits, and smaller portions. I have been drinking much water, lots of skim milk (LOVE MILK!!), and fruit and veggie drinks. If I do not eat at least by this time, I think my tummy forces its message past the meds to my brain and makes me realize I am super hungry. I seem to get fuller sooo much quicker. Like today, the dinner here at school had cheese sticks. I got two orders--total of 8 mozzarella sticks--I had about 4 and I was STUFFED. Real talk. Its been like that for a while. I know I need to eat more times a day but it is as if I am not hungry. Come on, who eats when there not hungry?? I am going to print this off for my doc because I just broke just about all of my symptoms and side effects and a few emotions down very quickly and clearly--so I think. ((I have also had a few problem(os) Smile with going number two... it is just not functioning like I used to....I tried Activia yogurt last night plenty of hours before I went to be and it did not work until I woke up... It has been plugged, runny, and many times, false feelings of needing to go number 2. Its crazy. I am just wanting to fit back into my size 11 and 12 clothing. Is that too much to ask for??
|

replied April 29th, 2009
Just prescribed...
I was just prescribed and havn't started taking it yet. I have had ADD my whole life, but never took any medications for it as it was easier to control when I was young and had less responsibility. However, they withdraml symptoms you describe are the same symptoms I have been prescribed the drug to combat. The depression and exhaustion you describe are the direct result of my untreated ADD and my doctor feels Adderall will help. Now you have me worried, I can't go on living my life this way, but I don't want to become an addict.
Was there abuse involved in your situations? Where you taking more then your doctor recommended, and how often were you taking it (daily)?
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2009
Answer to Shoty.
Have tried working with your doctor and a therapist on controlling your ADHD without medication? There are a lot of techniques that you may want to try before "resorting" to Adderall. Once you've tried that, ask your doctor about other medications, other than Adderall, as it is most definitely addictive. Be firm in your resolve, and use your voice when asking questions and wanting answers from your doctor.

In my case, I have never abused Adderall. I take 30mg/day (that is, 10mg in the morning, noon, early evening). About six months into taking the Adderall, I actually decided to just not take the third dose in the evening, as it was causing some really severe insomnia. :\

Adderall is not ALL bad (I am most definitely able to focus better and don't feel like I'm walking around in a fog all day- can watch television programmes, write letters, etc), but the side effects are something to REALLY consider. I often have painful migraines towards the end of the day, serious insomnia (and restless sleep), mood swings/depression (if I don't remember to take it, accidentally), no appetite, painful jaw-clenching, smoke more cigarettes (nicotine cravings? Shocked), and not to mention, it's pretty expensive. Also, you have to go in to your doctor ever month to get a prescription in hand, since it's a type-2 controlled substance.
|

replied April 29th, 2009
jus prescribed...
Yeah, I've tried many things to control my ADD, I've been living with it for 31 years now and the last 10 have been horrible. When I was young and only had school to worry about the coping techniques I adopted worked for me. Now that I am an adult and have far more responsibilty they are just not working, ang the depression and anxiety is unbearable.I have been going to my doctor every few months or so for the last 10 years and nothing is working, I feel like I have lost so much time living in a fog, or not living. I havn't started the med's yet because I had to get my heart checked first seeing as I am over the age of thirty, in the mean time I thought I would do some further research. I have done much research in the past but mainly looking at medical sites/advice, I thought I would look further and see what real people who have actually taken the drug had to say about, well the results are frightening. I am now terrified to take it, but just as frightened of continuing down the path I have been on for so many years.
I have told my doctor my fears when she first suggested med's, and she said as long as you take the precribed dose and only take it when u need it (for me that would be like 3x a week) that dependency would not be an issue.
I guess what I am trying to say through all my rambling is, is it possible to just take it when you're really unable to function or have a task that requires deep concentration and not become dependent or addicted.
Thanks!
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2009
Short answer.
The short answer to your question: No.

Long answer: When you "just take it when you need it," you'll see go through withdrawal, and it slowly and overtime becomes less effective. It's not meant as a PRN; that is, it's not an "as needed" prescription.

Try not to fret so much- every medication is different for every body. However, I recommend seeing a therapist, and working with them first.
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
thanks
thank you for your information, and saving I am sure many people alot of problems!
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2009
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT ADDERALL
I understand where you're all coming from but also keep in mind that you should not advise anyone to go against
doctor's advice. Adderall saves lives, it's not for
everyone but seriously ... some people need a stimulant.

For 2 years, I was prescribed an assortment of
medications for depression, anxiety, bipolar, etc and was just declining. I was very suicidal and felt completely hopeless until my doctor referred me out due to my progress not getting any better and my new psychiatrist decided to try treatment for ADD/ADHD and put me on adderall and I have been a normal person ever since.

Its been a year and a half and I have quit self harming, wanting to die and my success in the workplace has totally sky-rocketed. I'm more focused and active and my family doesn't worry about me any more. I don't worry about me any more ...

The nice thing about adderall is it does give you a buzz and helps curb your appetite so if you're prone to
depression, you don't gain weight and you don't want to
sleep all day. If you don't abuse it and take it AS
PRESCRIBED it can be a VERY healthy and smarthing to "resort" to.

Another thing to keep in mind is the appetite control does not stay forever, as your body adjusts to the new medication, it COULD decrease.

I take 60 mg a day, 30 upon waking and 30 around noon.
Sometimes I don't have to take it and sometimes I need it.

After you're comfortable with your body and how it
reacts to the medication, it's very unlikely you will create a dependancy on this medication. I'm a highly addictive person and I am not addicted to it. I take it as prescribed and when I want to pass, I do.

My recommendation for anyone who thinks it might be an
option to help control appetite and concentration, please give adderall a try. It is not for everyone but it could save your life.
|

replied August 19th, 2009
Adderall
lapetitemoi - I don't know where you got your information, but it is incorrect. ADD drugs can be used on a PRN basis. Some people only take them through out the week, others take a "drug holiday" in the summer. I take mine on a PRN basis. I was diag. with ADD ad an adult, and for the most part have learned to "deal" with the effects of it. However there are times that it seems to be worst than others, or I really need to focus on school. These are the times I take it, and my doctor is ok with that. I have 3 young children, and do not want to deal with an addiction, or withdraws, which is why I have choosen to take my medication this way. Please don't give bad advice on this forum. People need the facts, not to be scared of something that could make a massive improvement on their lives.
|

replied August 31st, 2009
My Adderall negative experience
Adderall is addictive and has lots of negative side effects. Read the label the next time you get it.

CopsDiary, while it may work for you it can be very bad for other people and don't assume doctors know everything about every drug. I have friends that are doctors and once they leave medical school they probably get 90% or more of their education about drugs from the pharmaceutical companies who are there to sell drugs.

I am a 50 year old male who started taking Adderall when I was 46. After three years, my blood pressure had skyrocketed, I had chronic skin rashes, lower libido, constipation and numerous other problems. When I asked my doctor if the Adderall was contributing to these problems she said no, I just had to accept I needed more medications as I got older. She wanted me to get on blood pressure medication and I said I wanted to try going off adderall first. I did and my blood pressure went from 160 over 130 to 120 over 70 (my pre-adderall range) in less than a month. But my energy was shot, I went back on Adderall for a couple of months and used that time to get into a regular exercise routine and wean myself off gradually. This was against my doctors advice, but since getting off, I feel much better, my blood pressure is normal and the majority of the other side effects are gone. I do notice that if I miss my exercise routine, my ADD tendencies creep up and my energy goes down, so I think regular exercise is a big key and not drugs.

By the way Adderall was a diet drug called Obetrol that was taken off the market in the 80's because too many women were becoming addicted to it. Shire pharmaceuticals bought the formulation in the 90's and relabeled it as Adderall for the treatment of ADHD in kids!!! Look it up if you don't believe me.

No doctor or researcher has ever found a chemical or physical trait that can be directly attributed to ADHD/ADD and so there is no evidence the drugs used to treat it have any different effect on someone with ADHD than they do on a "normal" person. Yet every pharmceutical website and written warning says taking Adderall by people who are not prescribed can lead to serious side effects, what sense does that make?

Shoty, you are right to get other peoples feedback and research a drug before someone tries to put you on it for life. I have learned not to look at my ADD as a handicap, but as a positive attribute. I am not saying it doesn't give me problems at times, but I have also owned a couple of businesses, been recruited as the president of a high tech company, built 3 houses myself and started a youth sports non-profit basketball league for over 400 kids. It typically is people who have been or could be labeled ADD/ADHD that are business owners, artists, entrepreneurs and so on. I look at it like being left handed in a right handed world, you have to learn to adapt.

Good luck
|

replied October 22nd, 2009
This is a very informative post. Thanks bubblegum12. Actually, Adderall has been introduced to me back then by a friend. I was already aware of the effects since she was'nt really endorsing the product to me, she was also, like you, was taking it before.
From now on me and my friends stick with diet coaches before buying all these pills and diet programs right away. I have tried Christopher Guerriero's diet coaching and it simply just works for me. You can try it out as well.
|

replied November 19th, 2009
Adderal.
I was on Adderall (for add) during my jr. high years. I just graduated in June and now attending college.

When i was taking the pills i felt AWFUL... not only was I saying hurtful things to my friends and family I was depressed and thought maybe I didn't deserve to live. I knew I would never kill myself because the way I grew up. But just having the thoughts of running away and hurting myself physically, things I would NEVER consider doing if I were not on the pills. I wouldn't eat because I was never hungry and when I would try to eat a pop tart before school I couldn't keep it down. It did not help me at all. I would NEVER put my kids or anyone else's kids on these pills. I got to were when my mom gave me the pill to take I would hide them in my jewelry box. One time in the shower as i was washing my hair a handful of hair came out and was all over my hand and the bathtub. Adderall ruined my jr. high years. From the 10th grade till my senior year my grades were great. Not because i took Adderall... Because I DID NOT want to go back on the pills so i worked harder and harder to pay attention and do my work. My mom now says she would have never put me on the pills if she knew the side effects.

I think it's great that people are talking about their experience.
|

replied January 26th, 2010
not that big of a deal
kay so i have adhd and i've been on adderall for a few years now, to be honest you shouldn't be getting such crazy effects unless you're taking it in large doses in which case its basically speed...speed involves mood swings and a terrible comedown but if you need the drug and take it in the suggested dose i highly doubt you'll have that sort of reaction. as someone who has taken the required dose, more than the required dose, and nothing at all i can tell you that the only time it will mess with you is if you take a lot (the worst i've ever experienced was 165 milligrams, i stayed up for three days but i'm here to tell the tale so clearly its not that big of a deal)
|

replied June 22nd, 2010
Try 2 understand where your doctors coming from Re:prn, etc.
Hi all, adderal 30mgs. tid (3 a day) is a huge dose, this is evident from the reactions described. Analogy; "a bit of red wine daily is quite beneficial, especially in preventing hardening of the arteries in later life", this would equal in your case 1 liter 3 times a day (instead of 1-glass w/dinner). I was taking 30 mgs. daily, I asked to go down to 20mgs twice a day, then 10mgs. 1/2 tab twice a day. After 1-month it seemed to be working quite well although it wasn't holding me into late afternoons, so I talked with my doctor about adding another 1/2 pill (5mgs.). I asked if it would help to take before dinner in late afternoon. He abruptly left the room, returning shortly with a coupon for a totally different adhd medication that cost over $200.00 (with coupon savings), I couldn't afford it, he wrote a script for Strattera. Why was he not willing to keep me on a medication that worked, especially after finding the correct dose? A urine test the previous month showed no Adderal in my system. So check with your doctor before taking a break from any meds (look online, 5mgs. adderal only remains in your sys. 24-48 hrs), their may be a valid reason he wants you dependent on medication (forgive the sarcasm). Doctors deal with some patients who Dr. shop and lie. A lot of pressure to weed (no pun intended) them out, it comes from law enforcment, media, colegues, patience, insurance co.'s, etc. What I've learned is the only way they (Dr.'s) can tell if you're being truthfull is if your urine test comes back positive for any controlled subs. they prescribe. Sorry for being so long-winded.
|

replied September 17th, 2010
Hi bubblegum12, thanks for sharing this very informative post. I have also heard about Adderall some time ago. Fortunately, I did not try it due to financial constraints, seems like it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

I believe slimming pills still need to be coupled with proper exercise and right meal choices to achieve the optimal slimming effects. Just relying solely on slimming pills alone may result in immediate side effects or lead to other health complications in future.
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
I think most of you are nuts and probably uneducated,abusing other drugs,and probably not using this medication correctly. Im 40yrs old and diagnosed with ADHD since I was six. Adderall, when used correctly, as prescribed by a Behavioral Psych, is extremely effective and harmless providing you DO NOT Abuse it! I would put money on it that those of you with bad experiences are using this drug incorrectly!!
|

User Profile
replied November 27th, 2012
Adderall is a drug. It is an amphetamine. Would someone really want to give their child that? I would not.
To be completely honest, I have only taken Adderall once, and I didn't feel any effects from it. I guess it works differently for everyone. Also people should not be taking it for dieting, lol. It is not a diet pill.

In reply to the second person's post, diet pills (the right ones) DO work if you know how to use them properly. To lose weight you need to DIET. Meaning cutting out bad carbs and replacing them with "good" carbs (low on GI), and getting the right amount of protein and essential fats. After you have dieted down and want to lose a couple of more pounds THAT is when you factor in the diet pills and that is when they will help.

I am actually a big supporter of dietary supplements and have taken many of them. If you are looking for a supplement for energy and weight loss, check out Addrena or Herbadrene.
|