Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Rib Pain On the Right Side...

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi! I am new to this forum and wanted some suggestions/help. This is long, so be aware! In late December, I developed a dry cough that four to five days later went into the chest. I was in Chile at that time and was coughing the whole time.Many remedies were given to me including Amoxicilin thinking it was bacterial since nothing was happening. Nothing worked and the Amoxicilian gave me bad diarrhea and upset stomach. So when I got back to the U.S. , my dad took me to an urgent care center since I had no primary doctor at that time. It was January 13th and I was still coughing. She perscribed an inhaler and medication. It helped somewhat, but the cough now nearly two months later is still here and is still in my chest.

In the meantime, I went to go see my gynecologist for a check up and complained to her that my left side was hurting. We( me and my family) do not know why but assumed it is because of all the coughing. She examined me and thought it was a cracked rib and that it would take time to heal. She prescribed I bruprofen 600 mg for the pain. It was helping, but one afternoon in early February I was still in pain and when I made a right turn out of my high school parking lot, I felt/heard a "pop" around my rib area where the pain was coming from. Sad I went home and just started bawling I was in so much pain. I still did not have a primary care doctor and went to the urgent care center for it. They examined me and took a X-Ray of my ribs and found that nothing was broken or cracked which was good, but still weird as to why I was still in so much pain. The doctor also said that the cough has gone on for too long and prescribed Zithromax to get rid of it. It helped, but was still coughing along with Skelaxin, a muscle relaxer thinking that the rib pain was a muscle inflammation and Ibruprofen as needed. I took those and eventually my left side became all better, but my cough is still here.

I eventually got a primary docter and because my cough is still there she prescribed another dose of Zithromax hoping that the cough would go away. Well, I took them and nothing happened. Am still coughing my wet cough and she said it was persistent brochitis. Now because I am still coughing, my right side is hurting in the same area as the left side. My left side is ok. My parents don't want to take me to get it X-Rayed again because they found nothing the first time around, so why should they find something else now, but am still coughing. My ribs/right side hurts whenever I touch it, bend over, twist to one side, cough, sneeze, basically anything I do it hurts. It is the worst at night when I first lay down to go to bed. Even just a simple normal breath hurts to do. I am taking the Ibruprofen 600mg but it is doing absolutely nothing for the pain. It sucks! I want to get better so bad!

In the beginning my parents thought it was shingles, but it wasn't and were happy that at that time the pain was on my left and not on my right side because appendicitis can happen/start there and spread. Now it is on my right side... should I be concerned? My Mom is more concerned about my cough lasting this long and not necessarily my side. She thinks I have too much drama. She although is considering taking me back to my primary care docter for my cough not necessarily my side although I will mention it.

Sorry this is so long, but mainly I am very concerned. Could it be appendicitis or just a muscle inflammation like the urgent care docter said?

now, I just noticed something else... these past two days my bowels have been green... not all the way, but discolored with green

Thanks to anyone who replies!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper dilliont
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I really think its a muscle inflamation. if it was appendicitis i think you would know, youd be in severe pain in that one area., nausea and vomtiing and most likely a fever as well. hopefully you get better soon, i got a cough like that when i was pregnant with my son it was bad, they gave me an inhalor, they were gonna give me steroids for my lungs but since i waspregnant i couldnt cuz the risk to the baby . im sure it would have helped
|

replied March 2nd, 2007
thank you very much... that is what the doctor's think it is.... I was in severe pain today in that one area (it is constant pain)and my rib almost "popped" again. I called my Mom bawling cause I was in pain and she doesn't really care at all it seems Crying or Very sad She like yelled at me telling me there's always something wrong with me, you always call me up crying, you're such a drama queen, I'm not taking you to the ER or docter cause you're fine, X-Rays were fine, you don't have a broken rib,suck it up, My God...,etc. How rude! Mad

My Dad is at least more laid back and seems more concerned which I am thankful for. I may still go to the docter either tomorrow at an on call docter or wait till I can see my regular docter.
|

replied April 12th, 2007
Same Symptoms
Hi, I just wanted to say that I have the exact symptoms you have. I got a cold/flu about 2 and a half weeks ago and now the cough wont go away. I get the pain on my right side when I bend, cough, and it gets most painful when I sneeze. I was thinking that It was the muscle from so much coughing, but I am really not sure. I was reading that a pain by the rib cage could also be an inflammation of the kidneys...I'm really hoping it is not, but a kidney inflammation is characterized by blood and protein in the urine, which I don't have. If you still have this pain try putting ben-gay on it, It kind of helped me. But, unfortunately I don't think it will go away until the cough stops and the muscle has time to rest. If any one else has any opinions on this, please let me know as well. I am concerned about it, cause I don't have medical insurance. And I haven't seen a doctor yet. Wink
|

replied January 25th, 2009
me too!!
Hi, I just wanted to say that I also just recently got over the cold/flu that was going around. I had it for two weeks and I still have the coughing and my right side hurts to the point where I can't even lift my little girl up. I have tried everything and nothing will work for me. I don't have insurance to go the doctor to get it seen so right now I am just trying to make due with what I can. What else should I do? I am taking 1000 mg tylenol and putting bengay on it and icy hot patches. I am tired of this pain!!! Anyone else got any ideas? I also thought that I have just muscle pain.
|

replied November 30th, 2009
rib pain after bronchitis
I have the same thing too. I thought that my lung was trying to collapse and got really freaked out. But I was given all kinds of antibiotics for my cold but the cough is still there and annoying. But the whole pain in my ribs is really scary. Especially since its one side. If anyone knows what this is I would greatly appreciate knowing too.
|

replied April 30th, 2010
i have the same pain
me too! i also have no insurance so i came on here looking for some answers... my right side of my ribs hurts bad and i also thought that it must be from coughing soo bad. i still have the cough a little bit and it still hurts everytime i cough. would love to know what this is!
|

replied March 8th, 2011
Rib cage hurts from coughing
I to have the same symptoms - I do have insurance and got my lungs xrayed and they were clear. I was just put on zithromiucin for 6 days and am taking pills to stop the cough. Also I was told to take Ibuprofen to help reduce the inflammation in my rib cage which feels like a knife on my right side every time I cough. This has been going on for 5 days - I am told to rest and not to any lifting. I sit up at night when I go to bed. It will all feel better eventually
|

replied January 1st, 2012
pain in right rib
Hi, I recently started having pain on the right side of my ribcage. The pain was worse when coughing, sneezing, climbing down the steps, breathing. Idolfan05- you now may have idea what caused this pain because you have been through this pain for long or any other person have answer, I will appreciate your reply
|