Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Post Surgery Ng Tube

Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
My husband recently had a bowel resection and now has an NG tube decompressing his stomach while he is healing. His throat's very sore and I was wondering whether he can have a couple of ice chips despite the NG tube/decompression. If not, what can he have to help his throat?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 1st, 2007
Ask the Doctor, but I had some ice chips when I had my GI tube after a lower anterial rescection. Keep it to a minimum because it can delay getting the tube out, and you can get sick if you have too much in your stomach.
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2007
Experienced User
Yes they can have a few ice chips. If the NG tube is connected to suction the water from the melted ice chips will be sucked up the ng tube. This of course is only on the order of the physician and not up to the nurses.
|