Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Why Is It Not Real...

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
I've been experiencing the exact symptoms of others, but without any hallucinations or voices.

I do very well in school, but I am unable to socialize like I used to. When I'm in a conversation, I ask a lot of questions and give one word responses. It's weird, cause instead of talking out loud, I speak inside (do you know what I mean?), and I'm constantly analyzing what someone is telling me, hoping to catch them in a lie or con...sounds are somewhat louder and I can't help but feel paranoid and watched whenever I go out. Also, when others ask me a question, I cannot seem to comprehend it quickly, I'm constantly suspicious...
I feel like I'm being dumbed down.

I'm confused right now and I'm not sure what reality really is...Maybe...I don't know how to say this, but what if my brain has evolved and understands things on a higher level (maybe that is why I can't have a good conversation with someone) or what if I really have uncovered something that is not meant to be known, or maybe I'm really in a coma???...Look I don't know if I truely believe those, but something is wrong!

I talked to my family doctor and he will send me to see a phyciatrist and get a mental evaluation (How will he know what a have, when these doctors made so many mistakes before?)

I hope you can share your story, or tell me what kind of symptoms you had, so I can compare...Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 27th, 2007
The most common type of psychosis, characterized by extensive withdrawal of the individual's interest from other people and the outside world and the investment of it in his/her own self.

A mental disorder or heterogeneous group of disorders (the schizophrenias or schizophrenic disorders) comprising most major psychotic disorders and characterized by disturbances in form and content of thought (loosening of associations, delusions and hallucinations) mood (blunted, flattened or inappropriate affect), sense of self and relationship to the external world (loss of ego boundaries, dereistic thinking and autistic withdrawal) and behavior (bizarre, apparently purposeless and stereotyped activity or inactivity).

I have all those symptoms. Furthermore, please explain to me why I cannot control it (have any of you tried? What happened?)

Can this be something else?

Lastly, my dad was perscribed risperadol, but he does not take it and seems to control his symptoms on his own, although, he can get weird and paranoid sometimes..

I am only 20 years old, tall, build healthy guy...So, please I am desperate for responses to my question and any questions, comments or advice will be much appreciated

I'm really sorry I wrote so much, but it's been theraputic, Thanks a lot:)
|

replied March 1st, 2007
Why isn't anyone answering?...I can understand if you may be paranoid, but you can at least write what you think, please.
|

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I'm not schizophrenic, so I can't give you a first hand account of my experience, but I do work in a psych hospital and I can tell you what i know from that.

Your age is when a lot of first time breaks occur.
You have indicated that you have a family history of some kind of psychotic illness.
You feel paranoid.
You are exhibiting grandiose thoughts. (brain evolved, uncovered something not meant to be known)
You listed symptoms of major psychotic disorders and said you've got them.

It is hard to say one way or the other, honestly, because most of the time psychotics 'normalize' their behavior and you are actually questioning it.

However, based on what you've said, it's extremely important you go see a psychiatrist. See, what happens in mental illness is that the brain synapses misfire and messages don't get sent right. If you don't do anything to correct it, you can cause permanent damage. The sooner you get medicated, if you need it, the better your prognosis. You should not put this off. I have seen people in their early 20's get meds and they are fine. I have seen people in their 30's, 40's who got no treatment and they are locked into their own worlds with very poor prognoses. They have to live in group homes and get ssi and have poor quality of life. Please, go see a doc! Go see five if you want to be sure one didn't screw up. There is nothing more important than your health.

Best of luck!
|

replied March 1st, 2007
Thanks
why do the synapsis misfire?? What about John Nash, the mathematical genius who does not take medicine ?

About the braindamage- how those it occur?

I have also heard the the medication is bad for the brain...It makes someone very dull and creates damage? can the doctor just prescribe me anti-anxiety instead...??

Yesterday, I was having a bad paranoid day. My teacher lost my registration form and my activation fee (come on, what are the chances of that?), I went down to the office and I was so...It was as if I took drugs...I thought everything was fake, all ment for me. Now, I have my doubts, but it seems so unlikely and I don't understand why I can't control this...I used to be able to! I get hours/minutes/ or maybe even days when I had/have weird thoughts, but I would be able to forget about them and go on with my life, talk to someone...Now it just seems like I've dumbed down...ANYONE else get this and/or any advice??
|

replied March 2nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Thanks
AbsentMinded20 wrote:
why do the synapsis misfire?? What about John Nash, the mathematical genius who does not take medicine ?

Scientists don't know all the reasons why; they just know it does happen, and they know how to help control it.

Quote:

The irregular firing of the synapses can kill the brain cells and break pathways, recreating incorrect ones.

Quote:
I have also heard the the medication is bad for the brain...It makes someone very dull and creates damage? can the doctor just prescribe me anti-anxiety instead...??

it depends; and you may only be hearing horror stories from the past history of psychology and psychiatric care. It's not like that anymore!

Quote:
Yesterday, I was having a bad paranoid day. My teacher lost my registration form and my activation fee (come on, what are the chances of that?), I went down to the office and I was so...It was as if I took drugs...I thought everything was fake, all ment for me. Now, I have my doubts, but it seems so unlikely and I don't understand why I can't control this...I used to be able to! I get hours/minutes/ or maybe even days when I had/have weird thoughts, but I would be able to forget about them and go on with my life, talk to someone...Now it just seems like I've dumbed down...ANYONE else get this and/or any advice??

This is classic paranoia, and many people get it. I personally don't, but many do.

The easiest, safest way to deal with this is to go to a psychologist who will evaluate you. If you need it, you will go on mediaction, however all you may need is some counseling!
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Thanks
AbsentMinded20 wrote:

Hey absentminded,

There are chemical reactions going on in the brain. For some reason, they are not sure, it has to do with dopamine receptors and serotonin receptors, when someone is mentally ill or psychotic, the genes in the brain activate other chemicals, and the misfiring occurs. The synaspses wear out and the long term effect of this is illness that cannot be touched by meds. That's why it's so important to see a psychiatrist (a psychologist is different; the psychiatrist can prescribe medications) early on, so you can get the meds that help those synapses fire correctly.

The meds they have now are not the shuffling walk causing kind of meds that you have seen in movies and stuff. There are many different kinds of medications, and all the pharmaceutical companies are interested in and working on creating meds that have little to no side effects. They want this because the primary reason mentally ill patients don't take their meds is because the awful side effects; so they are constantly working to make better drugs.

If you need medication (this is not a 'therapy only' situation for anyone-there are biological factors here that need treated like any other illness) you and your treatment team will work together to find a combination of meds that work best for you. These may change over your lifetime; they probably will.

The doc could prescribe you anti anxiety; but if you have all the other issues you mentioned previously there are better medications out there for you.

Paranoia sucks. You haven't 'dumbed down' you're just having some problems. Don't minimalize what you're going through! Please go see a psychiatrist. It's really important!
|

replied March 2nd, 2007
Thanks a lot Birch and Eiri.

This news is pretty depressing; It's what I feared for about two years now.
I'm having a hard time believing it....Some times I feel like I can control it. I understand people, what they mean, there thoughts; sometimes it feels like I've become smarter...I take advantage and try to figure out as much as I can, just about my life and things I know...Everything sort of seems like its connected- Thats when I can think in a more complex way and I sort of make a competion of socializing when I talk to someone.

Other days, Its like I overworked my neurons and disabled them, leading me to feel confused.

I thought that the harder someone pushes his brain the smarter it becomes...Is schizoprenia like drugs- those is sort of give you a cognitive advantage...but with a price...What about bipolar?

The deprssion/anxety/cofusion I get really makes me want to go to a psychiatrist...the appointment is coming up soon...

So, mental hyperactivity=braindamage=confussion=depre ssion...Is that what its like....What I know is the brain is constantly changing ...y do some people need drugs others therapy....It must be a flaw in character....This...I feel like beer,

what do you think, what else should I know, thanks

Peter.
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
AbsentMinded20 wrote:
Thanks a lot Birch and Eiri.

This news is pretty depressing; It's what I feared for about two years now.
I'm having a hard time believing it....Some times I feel like I can control it. I understand people, what they mean, there thoughts; sometimes it feels like I've become smarter...I take advantage and try to figure out as much as I can, just about my life and things I know...Everything sort of seems like its connected- Thats when I can think in a more complex way and I sort of make a competion of socializing when I talk to someone.

Other days, Its like I overworked my neurons and disabled them, leading me to feel confused.

I thought that the harder someone pushes his brain the smarter it becomes...Is schizoprenia like drugs- those is sort of give you a cognitive advantage...but with a price...What about bipolar?

The deprssion/anxety/cofusion I get really makes me want to go to a psychiatrist...the appointment is coming up soon...

So, mental hyperactivity=braindamage=confussion=depre ssion...Is that what its like....What I know is the brain is constantly changing ...y do some people need drugs others therapy....It must be a flaw in character....This...I feel like beer,

what do you think, what else should I know, thanks

Peter.

Hi Peter,

I have read that people can really enjoy the mania and ways of thinking when they are schizophrenic or bipolar (There's also a mix of the two called "schizo-affective disorder) and that's another reason they don't take take their meds.

But you have to ask if it's worth it. I don't know, I can't speak from personal experience, but only from an observers viewpoint. I see people who didn't take their meds and they can't function at all.

It's not a flaw. It's not any different than getting cancer or heart disease. It's a biological problem that no one asks for. It's not a flaw in your character!

But please dont make any assumptions before you go to your psychiatrist. They may have a completely different take on what is going on with you. I'm just someone online; I haven't met you or talked to you. So don't be depressed about it. It might be something totally different. But please do go see the doc.

I hope you can get some relief!
|

replied March 23rd, 2007
"what if my brain has evolved and understands things on a higher level"

This is it. People won't understand you. Your critical mind works fine judging by the way you express yourself. Actually you are a victim of your own genius if you keep drilling for advice in the realms of the average. Yes you are unique and maybe beyond that.

Embrace yourself and expand your genius rather criticizing it.
|

replied May 14th, 2007
Absentminded
[DEAR ABSENTMINDED
How are things now?
I have some similar symptoms to you eg:things sounding
louder,confusion,feeling "dumber" but also like as if having these symptoms forces you to have more insight into yourself etc.
i am 27 year old Female and am otherwise healthy.
I don't have any classical psychosis symptoms either eg:hearing voices

Do you get any physical symptoms?

As for medication I can only speak for myself that the medications that I've taken haven't "damaged my brain" but some medications do have horrible sedating side effects while others have none or next to none-they affect different people differently.In my situation i've tried numerous medications from antipsychotic,antidepressant,antianxiety and anticonvulsant classes and none have worked.I've also tried natural therapies,reiki etc that hasn't worked either

quote="Schizomind"]"what if my brain has evolved and understands things on a higher level"

This is it. People won't understand you. Your critical mind works fine judging by the way you express yourself. Actually you are a victim of your own genius if you keep drilling for advice in the realms of the average. Yes you are unique and maybe beyond that.

Embrace yourself and expand your genius rather criticizing it.[/quote] Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Sad Sad
|

replied December 29th, 2012
Hey, the world is a mess, you would have to be sick in the head to not feel the way you are feeling. Most people are simply following a script that was pre-made by the ruling elite. Look around you, most people are mindlessly following along, whether by fear or lust etc. Just let it go, you are not crazy =)
|

replied January 25th, 2013
It's true what you said but why most people?
Everyone follows along whether it is by lust out fear or happiness etc
|

replied January 27th, 2013
I call !**@!
There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance, and no such thing as brain damage from synapse misfire, those are fairly tales and aren't supported by any real research or experiment. don't spread propaganda like that, some uneducated person might believe it. Dude its ur mind and u are the only one that can control it. never ever take meds because all they do is make it worse, it says so right on the package!
|