Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Brief Stomach Pain After Drinking Sugary Alcoholic Drinks (Page 1)

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I am 37 years old. Since I was about 20 I go through periods of stomach pain after drinking alcohol.
Cheap sugary mixers are much more likely to trigger the pain. The pain is intense and hard to describe but feels like it covers a large part of my abdomen area, sort of a cold burning sensation.
It can be so intense and painful that I am forced to lie down until it passes. It can take between about 5 and 20 minutes to pass.
Once the pain has abated, I am able to drink again without any pain.
I have for the last week been eating a lot of alkaline foods, especially figs and watermelon and the incidences have started again so I don't know if this has any bearing or not.
I have read about pancreatitis but as he pain always passes I dont think it would be the cause.
Also I have been told that some enzymes released can cause this pain but cannot find any information on what specifically and why if that is the case and in turn if it is harmful.
Thanks for any info.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper drshap26
|

replied November 18th, 2007
Candida Albicans?
Hi,

i have come across your message and I think you might make some checkups for Candida albicans. Candida albicans is a bacteria which is found in our lungs, digestive system, vagina as well and it is imprescindible for carrying out many vital processes in our body. However, if the balance of Candida is disturbed (by exaggerating with food rich in sugar: sweets, fruits, white bread, rice, pasta or yeasts: cheeses, canned fruits and vegetable, vinegar, etc.) then candida is over produced which leads to several health problems. You can find much information on Internet about candida albicans and Candidiasis, check it out and you might find the answer to your question.

I recommend u these web sites: links removed
Good luck

Stef
|

replied July 13th, 2008
well said
i have EXACTLY the same condition....FINALLY SOMEONE KNOWS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!... first time i got drunk was when i was 17 and it was on wine coolers, my first experience with "the girly drink pain" as i call it....im 29 now and last night i drank 2 smirnoff raw teas (just 2!!) kinda fast and the pain hit me so bad i wanted to die. after about 30 minutes it starts to go away, and ive found drinking water helps a bit if you can force it down....it always happens to me when its a sugary alcoholic beverage. only thing ive noticed that makes it worse is if i drink em a fairly empty stomach.....any other responses to what causes this would be greatly appreciated.
|

replied May 4th, 2009
I have this same problem!
I drank two shots of vodka and then my stomach area started to hurt so badly. I had to throw up and then lay down for 20 minutes in agony until it passed. The first time it happened it was at work and my coworker gave me a mikes hard lemonade and that even did it. I thought i needed to go to the hospital that time it was so bad. Does anyone know what this is? Some people in yahooanswers say its ulcers... a second opinion would be nice.
|

replied May 7th, 2011
pain after drinking margaritas
I just got that pain today after having one margarita. The burning pain starts in the middle area between my ribs and radiates from there to the area above my belly button and through my shoulders. It hurts so bad I feel like I'm having a heart attack. I came home and took a tums and drank milk then laid down in agony for about 1/2 hour and then it was gone. I also get really hot throughout my body.
This happens every time I drink a margarita or sometimes other hard liquor. Good thing I rarely drink!
|

replied August 24th, 2011
gastritis
I had terrible pains like these, stomach, rib and back ache that radiates all over that area, went in hospital twice with it, thought iwas going to die, got to the bottom of it though-

I had Gastritis, after having an endoscopy done it clearly showed, after all the anti-inflamatries iv had for my knees, it had taken the lining away causing the redness to flare up, other things can causeitto, certain foods rly kicked it of, had to go on a gastritis diet, given omozapol think is the name, and gradualy got better.
|

replied October 1st, 2012
Pain
Hi just wondering ive had the same issue for a long time now similar in ways to most of these posts.Especially the pain for days after drinking and just a lot of the time.I was told it was IBS. I got a heap of tests done but they couldnt find anything.For some reason the doctor seems to hesitate at getting a lap/endoscopy done, even after the nurse at the hospital suggested it.(as I also ended up at the hospital thinking i was having a heart attack) Did you have trouble getting the doc to refer you?
cheers for your time.
Damo.
|

replied May 22nd, 2009
Meeeeeeeee TOO!!
Same exact problem! It's seems to happen with sweet drinks, last night I had smirnoff passion fruit, omg killed, I have found eating tums right away helps, I can continue to drink too. I also have noticed it with hard liquor, wine cooler for sure, some Margarita's, hard lemonade, just that sweet tasty drinks but what is it???
|

replied June 5th, 2009
Me, too!!!
I also have this!!! I have googled a few times over the years but can never find an answer. I just avoid hard liquor and stick to wine which doesn't seem to cause the pain. I am a very light drinker. Maybe 2 drinks a month. I would love to have a fun drink every once in awhile, like at a restaurant, but I'm too afraid to. It's just not worth the searing pain. It does pass fairly quickly, 5-10 minutes, but those minutes are spent in horrible agony. What is it??!!
|

replied June 9th, 2009
Ulcer?
Same here. I've had the problem since I was 13. I'm 30 now. A doctor once said it was an ulcer based on the symptoms I mentioned, as far as I can recall, but I know people with ulcers, and they've never exhibited the same symptoms. When they see me having an attack, they look genuinely worried, and always suggest taking me to the hospital, but because I've experienced the pain so many times in the past, I know I only have to bare with it for about 10-20 mins, and then I'll be fine.
Almost any alcohol other than red or blush wines, has me writhing in agony. It starts off as a subtle, and as it begins to increase in intensity, I start sweating a lot, and I can't concentrate on anything but the pain. It's centralized between my ribs, in the center of my abdomen, and it's kind of like a drilling pain. The pain ends rather quickly. I mean, once it reaches its peak, it kind of tapers off over a couple mins, then I'm generally fine after that.
I've also gotten the same pain shortly after waking up when I drink something carbonated, or if I eat some really spicy food, and drink something carbonated, only they're generally not "attacks" like the ones I get when I drink alcohol. Often munching on a couple crackers helps.
|

replied June 28th, 2009
stomach pains after sweet wines
I'm an MD who gets the symptoms described above after very sweet wines. I first sensed this problem when I was about 24 and drank the requisite four glasses of Manischewitz for Passover. The pain lasts about 15 minutes and radiates to my shoulder. I never get this at any other time except after very sweet wines like White Zins or Sauternes or of course Manischewitz.
The symptoms are caused by SPASM OF THE SPHINCTER OF ODDI. This sphincter is a muscular ring around the bile duct. It is supposed to open during a meal but if it spasms...bile and pancreatic secretions back up and stretch the bile duct(s). This causes the ouch we experience. For people like me..just avoid the offending food/drink. If this is a common occurrence causing lifestyle disruption, then a simple endoscopic procedure can cur it. If the problem is common but not a menace to normal function, antispasmodic drugs may help.
|
Users who thank drshap26 for this post: Kazmere 

replied November 9th, 2011
Thank you !! I have had the same symptoms, upper abdominal pain after drinking things like wine or cider, usually after drinking them too quickly. I googled your above suggestion and found it fits perfectly. I had my gall bladder removed a few years ago too which apparently can cause sphincter spasms. I feel better now having a pretty good idea what is going on. Smile
|

replied May 25th, 2012
Intense pain after consuming sugary, mixed, alcoholic beverages.
Dr., is it true that there is a sudden over release of insulin when a sugary mixed drink or white wine/wine coolers, or when even Coke is consumed??? I was told by a resident 20 years ago that the only way to kwell the pain is to continue drinking more the offending beverage to balance insulin/sugars? This has been happening to me for the past 25 years and has not subsided. I stick to red wine, Bloody Marys, and beer.

*** Why does it seem to affect me directly inferior to the xiphoid process?***

Thank you for you advice.
|

replied July 10th, 2014
Thank You Dr Shap. You have no Idea how much you've helped me . I experienced this when i was 15 When I had some rum mixed with coke.

Ever since then whenever I've had something sweet and carbonated with alcohol this allergic reaction kicks in.

No one has been able to give a satisfactory explanation except for you.

This Article has really helped me and I would give you A+ if I could so finally after 16 Long years.
Thanks
|

replied July 24th, 2009
has exactly the same sensation you guys talk about. First time I had it I drank about 5 pints of strongbow and slowly the pain started in my stomach area, I went to the toilet and just sat there thinking I was having a heart attack and going to die . But then after 15 minutes of agony it stopped. Then a year later, last night I drank 2 smirnoffs and it slowly started. Recognising the feelings, as I had been on the semi lookout ever since that night, I again went to the toilet and died for 15 minutes then started drinking again. Bit iffy to what I should do, as it appears to be seemingly random to when sugary drinks effect me. I might just bare 1/100 feelings I could get and drink away. But as I say, its agony.
|

replied July 28th, 2009
EXACTLY!!
I can't believe that nearly everyone ahs the exact symptoms! I also get these pains when drinking vodka... which is obviously mixed with a sugary drink. I have stopped drinking for a few months now because I just cant bear the pain. That and to get healthy... I am only 22 so I should be out there drinking. Its the most excruciating pain... but how come it only lasts for 20-30mins... strange!
|

replied August 2nd, 2009
Me too
This happen to me Friday night. I have only had it a few times and it was always after drinking wine coolers too fast. Friday I drank a drink with bicardi limon, amaretto, sweet n sour & cranberry juice. I just drank 2, too fast I'm sure but it hit so hard we left. As soon as I layed down in the car it went away, of course we were half way home by then. I don't like beer or wine so I will have to figure out what was in that drink that did this to avoid it. I'm 36 and only drink once a month if even that.
|

replied August 6th, 2009
Same here
This has happened to me on and off for the last 15 years,the pain is unbearable but lasts only about 20 minutes. If I drink 2 nights in a row on the 2nd night I feel fine no pain at all - I have also tried drinking half a glass of wine everyday and this too leads to no pain. I'm not a huge drinker and would prefer to keep alcohol for the weekend but I am unable to get out for drinks or to friends for dinner and have alcohol if I have not had any the day before.
|

replied August 7th, 2009
Wow, I also experience these painful episodes when drinking sugary alcohol. Can't believe all the people who know what I am talking about. I have had this for as long as I can remember. As a very small child, drinking my apple juice too quickly gave me the pain. Then in elementary school I can recall riding the school bus to school almost daily doubled over with pain from my morning Tang. I just loved Tang too much to give it up! Now as an adult, I experience the pain with sodas at times, but mostly with alcoholic drinks. Occasionally, just beer will bring on an attack. The most recent one started with about 3/4 of a beer! My pain is always in my upper abdomen. It is very intense and makes me want to double over. The pain is so strong that it causes me to shiver and even my arms will begin to ache. Sometimes eating crackers or drinking water will help, but time is really the only way to relieve the pain. As with others, the pain does not last long (at most 20-30 min.), but I am miserable while it is happening. Thanks everyone for your posts so at least I know that others experience the same thing. Any continued posts about what it could be would be really appreciated.
|

replied August 9th, 2009
ouch....
im glad others also know what im talking about, i get this whenever i have any "girly", smirnoff, pre-made margarita, sugary type drinks. doubles me over in pain. i think im gonna have to stick to the reds and beer and grow up a bit.....
|

replied August 10th, 2009
I posted on this b4 as I have this syndrome as well. I just read an article about being deficient in an enzyme, ALDH2, that breaks down alcohol in your body after consuming it. When you are deficient you can have a number of symptoms like facial flushing, rapid heartbeat, nausea, sweating, etc. I don't have the facial flushing even tho the topic of the article was about Asians who have facial flushing after drinking and I am half Japanese. Other members of my family have the facial flushing so I feel that I am prob a strong candidate for being deficient in this enzyme. It is interesting that I have the other symptoms, most notably the rapid heartbeat, sweating and stomach pain (not really nausea but I'm thinking it's close enough). It's just nice to finally have a tangible answer other than "it's prob and ulcer....". In one of the article I googled I saw that Hungarians also have a tendency to be deficient in this enzyme, so you don't necessarily have to be Asian. Hope this helps anyone mystified by this painful and scary syndrome. I've pretty much stopped drinking altogether. I guess that's good. I switched to a nightly glass of POM. =)
|

replied September 4th, 2009
Finally an answer that makes sense - Spasm of the Sphincter of Oddi

Just experienced this again last night after a small glass of red wine during dinner, and while waiting the 20 minutes it takes to subside, i had the inspiration to search the web (Links at the end).
Over the last 40 years I have had maybe 2 dozen such incidents (but always memorable). For me this always involves a small amount of wine , or once beer, often on an empty stomach.

As this happens so seldom, I thought perhaps not having wine on empty stomach helped avoid it (though I have done this many times without incident). My latest idea is that drinking even a small amount too fast might be the trigger (Last night I finished the glass in one swallow).

My barely educated guess now is that I was born with a small Sphincter of Oddi. Is this a looming problem? Obviously I am motivated to avoid recurrences.

-----
This paper from Journal Pancreas http://www.joplink.net/prev/200111/04.html

Info from Med Univ South Carolina http://www.ddc.musc.edu/public/problems/di seases/pancreas/sphincterOddi.cfm

Based on these sites, it appears most often this problem ocurs after gall bladder surgery or related issues
|

replied September 20th, 2009
Alcohol-pain
wow... I too am amazed people are having this problem. Mine has been ongoing for about 2 years now. Every single time I drink alcohol, I reach this point where I get an intense stomach pain and have to go lay down for 20-30 minutes. After the pain goes away, usually I can drink as much as I want. I'm only 21, and my friends all make fun of me for it. I've been drinking since I was 16 and am only now getting this much pain. The pain isn't heartburny at all, but its between my ribs, near my sternum, and it feels like I've been lit on fire. I also have noticed that my face feels like I have a fever, but the rest of me is normal temperature. It doesn't seem to matter what I drink. It happened the other night while I was drinking wine, and it happened two nights on the weekend, one night I was having vodka with juice mix, and the other night, I was having coolers. It was so intense on the second night of drinking, that I ended up going home. I'd really like to know what's causing this! I also get very hungover, no matter what I do. I can drink a gallon of water, after having one glass of wine, and sleep for 12 hours, and i still feel horrible for 2-3 days. I don't know if this is related or not... but I also seem to have developed some sort of milk intolerance.... if i have any dairy products im always in pain... and this is something new, because i used to love milk and drink a litre daily!
|

replied October 2nd, 2009
Maybe now my BF will believe me...
I'm so happy I found this. I always thought it was just me who experienced this. It happens so randomly..usually when I mix alcohol with soda. When I drink straight shots of alcohol I don't have a problem. I can't wait to show this board to my boyfriend, because he always thinks that I am exaggerating about the pain, or acting like a baby. But I really do experience some excruciating pain, all I can do is curl up and tough it out. It sucks, but I still keep drinking. Go figure...
|

replied October 24th, 2009
Haa...ive been having this problem for the last 10 years( im 30) it happens less while im actually drinking and more the morning after when i have that oh so needed hangover aid...this is probably because i dont drink spirits with mixers and CANNOT drink vodka at all anymore or i get the pain after just one or 2 drinks and then throw up.

It feels like the wall of my stomach is being sandpapered!! the entire stomach above the belly button for about 20 mins....unless i drink loads of milk which seems to neutralise it.

I also suffer from insane bouts of vomiting the day after which last all day until the late evening where i cannot eat or drink anything or it comes straight back up and even if i do eat nothing i will vomit pure acid every 30 mins(10-15 times in a day!!)

And i still drink like a trojan almost every day!!! lol.
|

replied October 25th, 2009
ME TOO
same exact thing with me! happens when i drink vodka and lasts about 15........... it's the worst stomach pain even but afterwards i feel totally fine=) i just avoid vodka and stick to beer! no matter how much beer i have my stomach doesn't hurt. SO TRY SWITCHING TO BEER GUYS!
|