Medical Questions > Nutrition > Diets and Diet Plans Forum

Hopeless.... (Page 1)

Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
So I've been on a very strict low calorie diet since Jan 6. I was losing weight at first but I haven't lost any weight since the beginning of feb. When I was in the e-room with my abdomen pain, they found a cyst on my pancreas. Would this have any effect on my insulin production? I only am eating about 1200 calories a day getting most of the calories from salad. I'm desperate to lose weight but I can't cut my calories any more than I have b/c I'm still breastfeeding Brianne. I exercise 4 days a week for 20 minutes on the Gazelle. *sigh* I need to lose about 80 pounds and I wanted to do it before Brianne's first birthday... I feel like a failure! I am so desperate that I think I am actually becoming anorexic... I even thought about switching Brianne to formula just so I could starve myself... I even feel so strongly about this that I have had feelings that I'd rather be dead then be fat for another year... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I think I'm sick.... I'm so obsessed with my weight.... what do I do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i totally feel for you.

Try eating 6 small meals a day to boost your metabolism.

and try taking egcg. its totally worth it.
|

Active User, very eHealthy
what is egcg?
|

Especially eHealthy
maybe you're not eating enough? if you eat too little your body will hang on to everything it's got.

have you considered weight watchers? you're able to do it while breastfeeding and it does work.

also, losing weight is a lot harder than gaining and it will take time. try not to get frustrated and maybe try some different things to see what works for you.

you can do it!
|

Especially eHealthy
megums1211 wrote:
what is egcg?

its an antioxidant that boosts ur metabolism.

weight watchers is awesome!! so is the south beach diet.

please please please dont do a carb diet. they are baaaaaaaaad for your heart.
|

I am trying so hard.... I've needed to lose weight for some time now and since the pregnancy ended I really am seeing it.... I don't have alot of money b/c I got dropped to part time at work... Is weight watchers expensive?
|

Especially eHealthy
i don't know how much weight watchers costs, i do it by myself at home. i lost 80 pounds doing it in the past so i *know* it works. i'm doing it now and it's coming off slowly (12 pounds in 8 weeks) but at least it's coming off.

you can do it online or go to meetings. you can probably find out how much it is on their website. i highly recommend it, it is so easy and you can eat whatever you want.
|

Does the online version work? I'm not really into going to mettings.... I don't have a babysitter for Brianne and I don't want to take her with me.
|

Especially eHealthy
when i first did it i signed up for meetings, i probably went to 3 before i quit going. i didn't find them helpful at all and once i got my materials i could do it at home. i'm sure you could do just as well with the online version, they have great forums (those are free to use) and if you sign up you'll get the materials to figure out the points for everything. it really is so easy, every food has a point value and you get a certain amount of points per day (plus an additional 10 for nursing), as long as you don't go over your daily range you will lose weight.
|

thanks for the advice Smile I am so desperate....
|

User Profile
Don't give up, you can do it! It's going to be hard but take your time and do it the healthy way. Don't consider starving yourself, that would be entirely the wrong way of going about it.

Last year I lost 65 lbs, I've tried so many things in the past. Weight Watchers, LEARN (a program at the local hospital), and I also saw a nutritionist one on one. There are many things out there you may justhave to try a few before you find one thats right for you.

Weight watchers cost different prices depending on your location. I know the meetings I attended were $9 per meeting. I didn't have much luck with this but like I said, it might be whats right for you. I saw a nutitionist a few times which helped because it was one on one and you were held totally accountable for everything. Lastly, the Learn program was a 12 week program that was offered at the hospital, it cost $275 which is expensive but eventually led to my weight loss and I personally would've paid twice as much because losing the weight changed my life tremendous. I'm not sure how widely spread the LEARN program is but look around your area and see what they offer.

If you can't find a program that works for you just remember to eat right and exercise. I have found that measuring my portions helped ALOT! If you can't afford an expensive program, at least consider investing in a $5 food scale, they definately come in handy. Make sure you are also getting a variety of foods, do not limit yourself from anything..if you want chocolate then eat it or else you'll splurge later! You can find thing very low calorie to satisfy your sweet tooth or other snacking craves (If you need any ideas just let me know and I can come up with a list of things!). You could also try to eat your biggest meal in the morning, or eat several small meals..these are both tricks that have helped people before. Once you have your diet under control keep up the exercise. Cardio is the best for calorie burning but you should also do moderate weight training a few times a week. I don't know much about the machine you said you use but you could also try just taking a walk or jog around the neighborhood (if the weather is nice enough!) or maybe look into a local gym. If you want something you can do in your house try getting some exercise dvd's or videos. I have used things such as the FIRM and different dance aerobics, they can be quite fun if you give them a shot.

This post is getting rather long, sorry! But I feel very passionate about healthy weight loss and I am actually majoring in nutrition and kinesiology. If you have an question or need some advice, support etc feel free to pm me. Good luck with your weight loss, don't give up, stay strong!!!
|

rainfire1424 wrote:
megums1211 wrote:
what is egcg?

its an antioxidant that boosts ur metabolism.

weight watchers is awesome!! so is the south beach diet.

please please please dont do a carb diet. they are baaaaaaaaad for your heart.

I tried the south beach diet but I couldn't stick to it.... I lost 20 pounds with it but I gained it all back....

I just signed up for weight watchers online and they allowed me 41 points total with nursing Smile
|

Especially eHealthy
41 points is a lot, you should have no problem! i do a different plan where i have a different amount every day of the week, today was 24 and i can manage but i wish i got more.

good luck! feel free to pm me if you want any snack or meal ideas.

oh, and drink lots of water!
|

Extremely eHealthy
i know how you feel about wanting to loose wait and it not working. i feel like i am stuck in a fat woman's body right now.
|

Experienced User
I know you have a little one to look after, but try working out more than 20 minutes a day. And try doing more than one thing. Are you just doing the gazzelle? You could always try cardio.

My boyfriend got me the Power90 video (beach body workout with Tony Horton), and although I never thought those videos did any good, this one is at a do-able level. I have become more toned in the month that I've been doing it, and have lost 8 lbs so far. I've kind of hit a wall so I need to cut back the calories and increase the amount I work out.

Don't feel bad. I know everyone is probably telling you not to, but it will happen, it just takes awhile.

Hope everything works out for you
-Krystal
|

IHeartMyBostonTerrier wrote:
41 points is a lot, you should have no problem! i do a different plan where i have a different amount every day of the week, today was 24 and i can manage but i wish i got more.

good luck! feel free to pm me if you want any snack or meal ideas.

oh, and drink lots of water!

What plan do u do?
|

Especially eHealthy
shasta205 wrote:
I know you have a little one to look after, but try working out more than 20 minutes a day. And try doing more than one thing. Are you just doing the gazzelle? You could always try cardio.

My boyfriend got me the Power90 video (beach body workout with Tony Horton), and although I never thought those videos did any good, this one is at a do-able level. I have become more toned in the month that I've been doing it, and have lost 8 lbs so far. I've kind of hit a wall so I need to cut back the calories and increase the amount I work out.

Don't feel bad. I know everyone is probably telling you not to, but it will happen, it just takes awhile.

Hope everything works out for you
-Krystal

Krystal girl, is that *You* in that pic?!??

Girl ur beautimus!!!
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Yikes. You may not be eating enough and your metabolism will suffer in the long run!! Definitely try weight watchers or some program like that. It will ensure you get the appropriate calories and nutrients need for short and long term weight loss. From my understanding, at rest we burn at least 1250 calories - that is what our body needs to function. Obviously everyone is different. If you are exercising and breastfeeding, I am concerned for you and your baby.

Have you talked with your doctor and your babies doctor about how much calories you are taking in? Especially while exercising and breastfeeding.

As for the cyst on your pancreas - very good question. Hmmmm????
|

Extremely eHealthy
You need more cardio.. Running, Walking, Swimming, Biking anything to get your heartrate up. When you get to 20 minutes your just starting to get get your metabolism going.. Try taking the baby on long walks.. And drink TONS of water.. Like 90 ounces a day... Think of it as flushing the fat... Also weight lifting if you ever get around to it..The more muscle you have the more fat you burn.. Good luck girl!! I know how rough it is.. Im only 5 months pregnant but im having problems gaining weight.. Its hard! But be healthy and you'll be good.. That little girl needs you.. Dont do anything drastic and remember breast feeding burns an extra 500 cals a day.. This will help you out with the weight loss! Good luck!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Shocked 90 ounces a day Shocked I don't think I could ever drink that much lol.

.I'm having the same problem losing weight. I've gone from 174 which is what I was the day I had .Kaylee & now, 4 1/2 months later, I am 155 & I'm stuck at this weight. I'd be perfectly fine with my body if I could get rid of my little belly pooch & my love handles Crying or Very sad

I agree with everyone else though, you shouldn't starve youself to try losing weight. You baby needs you to be healthy!

.Michelle
|
12 >>