Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Unrelenting Pain One Year After Gastric Bypass

Must Read
We burp, belch and fart an average of 12 times a day. But why do we have gas? And what is intestinal gas?...the basics here....
Intestinal gas forms from two main sources - swallowed air and bacteria in the intestine. Plus, learn which factors to avoid to decrease the likelihood of gas....
How much gas is normal? Usually symptoms of gas and flatulence are more bothersome than serious. But learn when you should seek help for excessive gas here....
I had gastric bypass in december of 2002. Last month I had surgery to release adhesions that had caused my colon to lock in place. I was suffering from pain in my left side, right below my rib cage. I also suffer from bloating, gas, pain, constant discomfort in my upper stomach, typically in the center of my gut; bouts of constipation. The expectation was the most recent surgery to remove the adhesions would eliminate these problems. It did not. Does anyone else suffer from this? My gastroenterologist said I have ibs but none of the medications he has given me have helped. They seem to make it worse. If I eat, I immediately bloat and feel pressure. I'm thrilled with my 125 pound weight loss but very, very frustrated with this constant stomach pain and discomfort. Can you help?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper z9dsgn52
|

replied February 21st, 2004
Adhesion Pain
Do you use anything like metamucil or citrocel? I have had the same discomfort right under my left breast and ribcage area with the associated bloating that occurs. Luckily it has not been bad enough to warrant treatment. I did find tho that if I daily use one dose of the above products I feel better. My doc told me it was adhesions as well. Sadly, surgery to release adhesions just causes more adhesions. Try some yoga stretches too. Hope you feel better.
|

replied February 22nd, 2004
Thank you for the info. Yes, I do use benefiber every day but continue to have problems. Do you recommend a special diet? Do you know of anything that seems to help or hurt the situation?
|

replied March 1st, 2004
Left Side Pain
I am female currently going through the same problem. I have a constant left side ache right under my rib cage that radiates into my lower abdomen and back. They just found that I have a "wheat/gluten" allergy from a simple blood test. Now I have to have an endoscopic exam to check if I have "celiac disease." I guess this can cause a lot of gastro problems due to the allergy. 1 in 133 people have this. Four years ago I had a colonoscopy, ct scan (kidneys & abdomen), and anything else you can think of for the same pain and it would come and go. Now it doesn't go anywhere. I just started taking zelnorm for ibs 7 days ago. Can't tell yet if this will help, it hasn't so far. I also have a adhesions around my colon which could be the problem, but now with this wheat thing, they are looking in that direction. I hope this is of some help to someone.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov