Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Lower Left Back Pain / Middle Left Back Pain

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Hi,

I have been experiencing pain just above my lower left back (like 3-4 inches above my left butt) for the past few months. Actually I am not sure if I should call this area of pain the left middle back / lower left back.

This pain started in 2005 april when I was exercising in the gym. I was doing PULL DOWN for my back exercise and accidently the weight pulled my back fast before I could release it when I was about to stop the rep. I felt a sharp pain in my back in the area that I had mentioned above. I stopped doing workout for 2 weeks after that. I was also playing gold once week during that time. This pain was on and off after that but it was not severe.

Now I have been doing exercise for about an year now and sometimes I feel pain in this area and it lasts for about an hour or so. I have noticed this pain also occurs when I travel by sitting on the seat for a long time.

I need to know what could have happened to my back and what activities I need to do to stop this pain from occuring again.

Thank you. Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 28th, 2007
Possible Bulged Disc
Hey SMVJ

The muscles sure could have stretched and the injury has made them somewhat susceptible to re-injury and causing pain. That area may always be a little "easier" to injure or more troublesome. Sometimes that type of injury will follow you around for a long time.

It could also be a very slightly bulged disc caused from the sudden snap of the weights. When you work or stress the area, your muscles react and try to "protect" that area by tensing up causing discomfort and pain.

I would just favor it a little and go easy on the hardcore stuff. Twisting while bending over are very bad and could cause it to become worse. Maybe some easy strengthening exercises to that area would help it. Proper posture, general exercising, and keeping your activities reasonable will probably help in the long run...no powerlifing.....extreme sports (not too much anyways Smile ) etc.

I wish you well
|
Did you find this post helpful?