Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

What Sleep Aids Can I Take???

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
I have not been able to get good sleep at since ive been prego. Im 11 weeks 1 day prego. Can I take Nyquil or anything that will help me sleep?? help please!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sophiena
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: What Can I Take???
lauren1416 wrote:
I have not been able to get good sleep at since ive been prego. Im 11 weeks 1 day prego. Can I take Nyquil or anything that will help me sleep?? help please!

nooooo
i was told only take benadryl.
|

replied February 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Yup Benedryl is pretty much it. When you get a bit further along talk to your doc about it. Mine told me that I could take Ambian 10mg (not CR) but couldn't take it after 35 weeks. He/she would have to write you a script for it, and it's pretty expensive.

Good luck, I'm 35 weeks now and I have not slept well the whole time. Now that I'm further along I could sleep better if only I could find a comfortable position.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
what is it with everyone wanting to take nyquil when they are pregnant?
what is it with everyone wanting to take anything when they are prengnant?
i feel so guilty even takeing something my doctor specifically has said is perfectly fine, that i obviously need
nyquil is not good during pregnancy it can harm the baby, please dont take anything without talking to your doctor first, and if you dont have a doctor please get one, and even so, there are sites that have lists of safe and unsafe things during pregnancy, so there is no reason for it....

sorry this just has been pissing me off lately, ive been feeling crappy and all ive been taking is sudafed and i still feel bad for it, but i cant breath because im so stuffy and im coughing so much im nearly throwing up, but im too worried about what a drug could do to my baby to ven think of taking anything else....ill stop now...again sorry

~alicia~
|

Extremely eHealthy
Re: What Can I Take???
lauren1416 wrote:
as the others have told you Nyquil should not be taken. ask your dr what if anything you can take to help you. if you think it is bad at 11 weeks i hate to see you at 36 weeks. oh and if the dr does say you can take something dont feel bad for taking it. there is no reason you should feel guilty
|

replied February 26th, 2007
Experienced User
I Take
I take tylenol pm when I cant sleep, that is what my doc told me to take. Benedryl doesnt make me tired. She said I could take unisom too, but I dont see how that is too safe.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Re: I Take
pumpkine0011 wrote:
I take tylenol pm when I cant sleep, that is what my doc told me to take. Benedryl doesnt make me tired. She said I could take unisom too, but I dont see how that is too safe.

thats because tylenol is safe and the pm part is the same thing as the active ingredient in benadryl so thats safe too ^_^

~alicia~
|

Especially eHealthy
no nyquil, its got alcohol in it.

isnt there aspirin too?
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2009
To Idony
when people are asking for help, you shouldnt be so judgemental. I am only 10 weeks in and already an insomniac, so sleeping is IMPOSSIBLE. I thought looking at some of these posts would hopefully help and I have heard some good things. But once again, pregnant women, especially first timers, dont know what is okay sometimes and they wont if they dont ask!!!! so sorry your pi**ed off, but rude advice is pointless. do you think that helps? it doesnt. if your not a positive person, dont try helping people who need it.and then you wrote a day later that tylenol pm is okay. so are you anti-sleep aids or not? once again, someone so opinionated shouldn't be posting to women who need advice. that really pi**es others off.
|

replied May 14th, 2009
I hear u!!
I thought the same thing when I read IDONY's post....All youve been taking is sudafed?? How is that ANY better? Dont judge others---especially when ur taking something for a diffrent reason!
|

replied November 8th, 2009
I agree. Its your freakin kid. You already have maternal instincts developing, you'll come to realize what your baby is ok with and not. I'm not saying go take aspirin or anything, but as someone who has a bachelors in nursing, don't listen to these girls. Its not like your asking to smoke crack or sniff a line. I hate people who think they know everything about pregnancy. Here are a few things you can take tylenol, tylenol pm, tylenol cold, robitussin (NOT SUDAFED), muccinex, tums, and benadryl. We always tell our patients, if you have a headache its going to be more beneficial for you to take tylenol q 4 hrs, than put stress on the baby from your anxiety. I hope this is helpful.
|