Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

C Section Info

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I know a few of you have had c-sections recently or in the past couple of months. Did you have a bikini cut or diagnally on the belly? How long was the healing time? How long were you in the hospital, and what did you have to do before you could be released? How long before you could drive, get around comfortably? Any info you will give me will be helpful.

I am scheduled to have one on 3/21/07.

I had a section 16 years ago, which wasn't great but not terrible. I'm sure they have improved and would like some info so I know what to expect.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 15th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: C Section Info
mommy35 wrote:
i know a few of you have had c-sections recently or in the past couple of months. Did you have a bikini cut or diagnally on the belly? How long was the healing time? How long were you in the hospital, and what did you have to do before you could be released? How long before you could drive, get around comfortably? Any info you will give me will be helpful.

I had a section 16 years ago, which wasn't great but not terrible. I'm sure they have improved and would like some info so I know what to expect.

i dont think they do vertical anymore...Only in extreme cases with several babies ...Good luck and congrats!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Re: C Section Info
mommy35 wrote:
i know a few of you have had c-sections recently or in the past couple of months. Did you have a bikini cut or diagnally on the belly? How long was the healing time? How long were you in the hospital, and what did you have to do before you could be released? How long before you could drive, get around comfortably? Any info you will give me will be helpful.

.I had a csection a little over 4 months ago. I got the bikini line cut... For me, it took about 2 1/2 months to *completely* heal to where I could do things & not have weird pains but I also started to do things way too early so that was probably why. Umm I was in the hospital for 4 days, they wanted to keep me longer to make sure I was going to be able to get around okay but I refused to stay any longer! My doctor told me not to drive for 2 weeks but it was still so uncomfortable after 2 weeks I couldn't even if I wanted too. The biggest suggestion I could give you is to listen to the doctors when they tell you not to lift anything over 10lbs & just to do very light housework... I started doing things way too early & I was really in pain from it. Oh & for your other question that I missed about what you have to do before they let you leave the hospital.. All they really had me do was get up on my own to go to the bathroom & they made me take a shower on my own 2 days after the csection ... Hope I helped a little bit!

.Michelle
|

Extremely eHealthy
See why I need info? Duh

thank you for your reply!!! It was a help.
|

Extremely eHealthy
My first c-section I had a bikini cut .This last time was a vertical cut. My dr told me it depends on how the baby(s) are laying for which cut you get. My first c-section I was up walking the next day I had to stay for 4 day I had to have a blood transvusion. They made sure I could poop and pass gas before I could leave. I was up feeling fine a week after I had him. With the twins the vertical cut hurt so much worse than the bikini cut. It took me a little longer to get up and walk. Took a couple of weeks before I was walking just fine. I still have pains every one in awhile

forgot to add: after my first one I was driving the day after I got out of the hospital. With the twins I think it was 2 weeks after.
|

Especially eHealthy
I had a bikini cut right below the hair line. It's so thin and light pink that you can barely see it.

I had my c-section on friday night and went home monday afternoon. They told me I could leave as early as I wanted on monday but I didn't want to rush it. I had staples that were taken out monday morning and then they put steri-strips over the incision.

I've pretty much blocked it out but I was in a lot of pain for a while. I almost couldn't feel a thing if I didn't move and just stayed laying down but once I moved it felt like I was going to rip my incision open. I think I had the most trouble getting in and out of bed. I slept on the couch for the first few nights home because it was easier to get up and down and it was a better angle than a bed. It was about a month before I could sleep comfortably and not propped up on my back with pillows.

They tell you not to drive for 2 weeks. I drove myself to my 2 week pp appointment a 1/2 hour away and I was fine.

Just take it easy and let your husband do everything for you. Bending and lifting are not good, so have him bring the baby to you.

Looking back, I think I was a little in shock since i'd never had surgery before and it was an emergency c-section so I didn't even have time to prepare myself mentally. I'm sure my next one will be easier on me.

Good luck! Everything will be fine!
|

Especially eHealthy
chase4 wrote:
they made sure I could poop and pass gas before I could leave.

they didn't expect me to poop but they did want me to pass gas before I could eat. I could feel it moving around but I just couldn't get it out, they were giving me as many gas pills as they could and they weren't helping. They took pity on me 2 days later and let me eat but by the third day the gas pains were *sooo* bad that I let them give me a suppository. Thank god for that! I wish they'd offered it sooner. So if you have really bad gas pains don't be afraid to ask for a suppository.

And I meant to add that I think I felt fully healed by about a month. My incision healed really well, I was shaving over it by 3 weeks pp. I got the ok to exercise at my 6 week appointment (but the ok for sex at my 2 week appointment) and sometimes after exercising my interior incision site would ache.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Thank you so much for your replies.
I also had a bikini cut with my daughter 16 long years ago (emergency too). I had the section done at 11:10am. They tried to get me up walking around that evening, but I felt too woozy. I was up the next morning and walking around. Taking percocets like a crazy lady!!!

Then to go home they made me go poo, hold down solid foods, and I had to shower on my own. I couldn't drive for 6 weeks, lift anything heavier than my baby, and though it was uncomfortable, I don't remember it being awful.

Mike will be great. He is taking the following week off to help me out.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I'm still recovering from mine it'll be a week tomarrow long bikini cut. They let me leave 3days afterword and only gave me 30percocet and its almost gone x.X. I'm moving around alot better now though. Only regret is if I didn't get knocked out so I could see my baby right away, my fiance got a lesson on all my organs that they could see while I was knocked out, I feel exposed now.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I had a bikini cut in november. I felt 100% normal at 3 weeks. I couldn't drive until 2 weeks later. I stayed in the hospital from the monday to the thursday even though we were released on the wednesday, it was too late, so I asked to stay another night. The day after the section I had to get up once to walk a little then take a shower. That was scary, but not that bad. The second day I got up again to walk and I stood for too long and couldn't get back in bed. It took 3 people. I refused to moved because it hurt so bad to even breathe. I would have to say getting down in the bed and back up was the hardest thing. I was having sex at 3 weeks. They didn't make me poop in the hospital but I did. It wasn't bad at all. It's been 3 months and I still feel little stings here and there, but it's nothing. I got my staples out 7 days after the section which didn't hurt at all! I had to keep it taped for another week. I put it for an additional week just because i'm weird like that and I didn't want anything touching it. I still don't like my underwear touching it just because i'm weird like that. It's very light pink and my Dr. Said in 3 months I won't be able to see it.
|