Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Anemia - When Is It Dangerous?

Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define anemia...plus more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
User Profile
I'm dizzy & weak 24/7, I can barely think and I have trouble breathing when I walk more than a block. Blood results have shown my serum ferritin sits at 4ug/l. The doctor I saw didn't seem concerned. She said: "i've seen lower."

which brings me to ask: how low can your iron get? Is 4 dangerous? Is there anything I can do to feel better immediately?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 15th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Hi.
I don't know how lower it can get (different scales... :s), but you can raise it.
There are some things to prevent anemia (i've suffered from iron anemia and my iron is generally low): have a fruit juice at meals (orange, apple, etc, anything you like, but do it yourself - don't buy it), eat fish (white fish, merluza, etc), some protein will help too.
|

replied October 8th, 2008
Hi,
by your iron being a 4 it is very dangerous. You can go into a coma you can also require a blood transfuison.
|

replied February 26th, 2009
PLEAASE ANSWER WORRY
i have 7.6 is that bad or not
|

replied March 31st, 2010
Anemia
Hello,
I have been eating ice for a long time, my mom says I have inherited from her. I have been have a tub full of ice a day. I have also noticed, bad headaches, bad stomaches, a little dizzy. And bleeding in some places. Is this serious?
|

replied March 31st, 2010
I have been as low 1 for my iron lvl. I had no idea other than I felt like crap. Super tired and heart racing all the time. I had my period for 3 months before I went into the doctor. I got a phone call that night after having my blood work at the doctor that I needed to go into the hospital the next morning for a transfusion or else I could have a stroke or heart attack. They also told me that if I was to get cut, my blood would not clot and I could bleed to death. It took 2 bags of blood to get me back up to the low norm lvl which is 13. I urge anyone who thinks they have anemia to go to the doctor and be checked out. Eating organs, like liver have an great source or natural iron. I hate liver, but sometimes I know I have to eat it because it is very good for you when you are anemic. I also take iron pills, but to remeber you have to take iron pills with a source of vitamin C like orange juice for it to process correctly.
|

replied March 31st, 2010
girlie13....
where are you bleeding from?
|

replied March 31st, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Anemia
girlie13 wrote:
Hello,
I have been eating ice for a long time, my mom says I have inherited from her. I have been have a tub full of ice a day. I have also noticed, bad headaches, bad stomaches, a little dizzy. And bleeding in some places. Is this serious?

Ice could be Anemia or it could be a learned nervous behavior. A lot of different things cause headaches, stomache aches, dizziness and bleeding. If yous uspect you're Anemic you should see a doctor about it right away. For that matter if you're sufferring from all of these symptoms fairly regularly you should see a doctor whether or not you think you're Amemic.
|

replied March 21st, 2011
anemia
my 11 yr old son is anemic consutant says if he dosent take his medication he will have 2 go in to hospital for3months whys this ??
|