Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Inflamed Nerves

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
User Profile
Feb. 2000: I landed on my back in a dive. I couldn't touch my toes for 6 months. I did not recieve any treatment. I healed on my own in time.

June 2006: I was in back pain agony. My chiropractor did x-rays. My back was curved in 3 places; my neck---curved in opposite direction it should be; thoraic segment---curved to the right; lumbar segment---curved to the left. The cause was apparently poor posture! I recieved chiropratic care three times a week for three months and by october, I was pain free! :d

dec. 2006: pain in the thoraic segment has returned and keeps me awake at night. Brings tears to my eyes when i'm working. The next month I end up in the er begging for them to do something. They didn't bother with x-rays. The er doc said my spine looked okay to him. I was given pain medication strong enough to knock me out and sent on my way.

Feb. 2007: my family doctor looks at my spine and says I have inflamed spine nerves for some unknown reason. I take 1000mg of anti-inflammatory pills each day and place cold and hot bags on sore areas. So far, i'm doing alright. Pain is minimal.

my questions: i'm only 21. Why do I have inflamed spine nerves? Will I be on anti-inflammatory pills for the rest of my life?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 16th, 2007
Re: Inflamed Nerves
I can understand your concern about not knowing whether you will be taking anti-inflammatory drugs for the rest of your life.

I used to suffer from back pain and am now pain free. I had been to see a doctor but was told to take pain killers. I did for a short while but I was looking for an alternative to drugs and I found one. It seems to have worked because the pain went away and i've been pain-free for about two years.

I don't know whether what I did would work for you, but what if it did? If you would like to know what helped me, you can send me a private message. I don't want to break the forum rules by going into more detail here.

Dietcoach

littleli wrote:
feb. 2000: I landed on my back in a dive. I couldn't touch my toes for 6 months. I did not recieve any treatment. I healed on my own in time.

June 2006: I was in back pain agony. My chiropractor did x-rays. My back was curved in 3 places; my neck---curved in opposite direction it should be; thoraic segment---curved to the right; lumbar segment---curved to the left. The cause was apparently poor posture! I recieved chiropratic care three times a week for three months and by october, I was pain free! :d

dec. 2006: pain in the thoraic segment has returned and keeps me awake at night. Brings tears to my eyes when i'm working. The next month I end up in the er begging for them to do something. They didn't bother with x-rays. The er doc said my spine looked okay to him. I was given pain medication strong enough to knock me out and sent on my way.

Feb. 2007: my family doctor looks at my spine and says I have inflamed spine nerves for some unknown reason. I take 1000mg of anti-inflammatory pills each day and place cold and hot bags on sore areas. So far, i'm doing alright. Pain is minimal.

my questions: i'm only 21. Why do I have inflamed spine nerves? Will I be on anti-inflammatory pills for the rest of my life?
|

Experienced User
Inflamed Nerves
What you should have done when you first injured you back was seek help then. Once you hurt your back you will always have some pain. I have injured my back at least two or three times. I had a cracked vertabrea, broken tailbone and I have a congenital birth defect that if they fixed I would be bent over for the rest of my life. Plus you will develop arthritis in your back and there is no cure for that, just pain management. Sometimes these alternative medicines or vitamins seem too good to be true, I would check with a doctor before I would do anything like that. Especially if you have other conditions that you are taking stuff for may not work well together. Be careful and tread lightly. Good luck. Wink
|

san54 wrote:
what you should have done when you first injured you back was seek help then. Once you hurt your back you will always have some pain. I have injured my back at least two or three times. I had a cracked vertabrea, broken tailbone and I have a congenital birth defect that if they fixed I would be bent over for the rest of my life. Plus you will develop arthritis in your back and there is no cure for that, just pain management. Sometimes these alternative medicines or vitamins seem too good to be true, I would check with a doctor before I would do anything like that. Especially if you have other conditions that you are taking stuff for may not work well together. Be careful and tread lightly. Good luck. Wink
|

I agree with the person that posted before me in that you should have gone to the doctor as soon as you had the trauma. What's done is done now, but since you're still young you need to take precautionary measures so that your quality of life is improved and your condition doesn't get worse. Anti-inflammatories are good in the short term to decrease general inflammation wherever it may be but one it's no way to live, and second they are not good for gastrointestinal health where they can cause stomach ulcers. You need to be seen by a dc (doctor of chiropractic) or an md to reevaluate your case and see what the best route of treatment for you is. In your case you might want to go with the dc so that you are not prescribed synthetic medicine and you are prescribed natural alternatives instead; which have little to no side effects. Here is the website of the american chiropractic association so that you can find a good dc in your area. Www.Amerchiro.Org

good luck
|

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2007
Thanks for your input you guys.

Hristos wrote:
Www.Amerchiro.Org

Oh, I live in Canada. But I'll check back with my chiro. Smile Thanks!
|

replied July 1st, 2007
Inflamed Spinal Nerves
Sorry to hear about your health problems. I encourage you to look for all the alternatives out there and take reponsibility for your own well-being. What works for some may not help you, so keep an open mind. You may be interested in researching Rolfing. It has saved me and helped several people I know, including someone who landed wrong in a dive and had suffered from back problems for many years. Don't give up on your health. Pain medicine manages the pain but does not solve the problem. Fortunately the internet is here to help you with finging a solution.
Good luck to you.
|